Sox setting up for the end of the Konerko era?

southsider2k5

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
They are in last place now with Jake Peavy. How can you explain that?

It's pretty simple, if Hahn and company think the Sox can compete next year with Peavy and whatever additions they feel they can make, then you keep him. However, if you think that everything in the world must go right in order to even compete with the rest of the AL Central, then you unload Peavy. If the Sox stink this year and don't make upgrades this offseason, it wouldn't shock me if Peavy is vocal about getting traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
After the White Flag trade, it took until 2005 for the White Sox attendance to be as high as it was in 2012. Not even a division title in 2000 drew as much as they did last year. The 6th straight year of decline.

Doesn't matter.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
It's pretty simple, if Hahn and company think the Sox can compete next year with Peavy and whatever additions they feel they can make, then you keep him. However, if you think that everything in the world must go right in order to even compete with the rest of the AL Central, then you unload Peavy. If the Sox stink this year and don't make upgrades this offseason, it wouldn't shock me if Peavy is vocal about getting traded.

There's one other option...the Sox could very well look at their roster and think they can be competitive in 2014 even without Jake Peavy. Like I keep saying, we have 6 starting pitchers under control right now counting Danks. Sure, someone could implode this year, but then we still have other guys such as Johnson on the way up.

The Sox could go into this offseason looking to spend $40 million while still cutting back on salary from this season if Peavy was dealt, and if dealing Peavy can fill just 1 offensive hole...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
There's one other option...the Sox could very well look at their roster and think they can be competitive in 2014 even without Jake Peavy. Like I keep saying, we have 6 starting pitchers under control right now counting Danks. Sure, someone could implode this year, but then we still have other guys such as Johnson on the way up.

The Sox could go into this offseason looking to spend $40 million while still cutting back on salary from this season if Peavy was dealt, and if dealing Peavy can fill just 1 offensive hole...

Yep, they can still trade Peavy and have a solid pitching staff (even if I have no confidence in Danks ever being an average starter again). The one thing this organization can't have happen is to strikeout on trades like they have recently if Peavy is dealt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
It is proof that Sox fans would rather see mediocre teams than awful teams.

Not only that, it took a WS to bring attendance back. Even when the White Sox successfully rebuilt and got Thomas, Ventura, McDowell and Fernandez in 4 consecutive drafts, and suffered through 3 seasons of barely drawing 1 million fans, it didn't lead to the "sustained success" that many here now say is a requirement for fans to come to games.

I really think people are confusing the NBA with MLB. Not many teams bottom out, trade all their best assets for prospects and are contending anytime soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
Not only that, it took a WS to bring attendance back. Even when the White Sox successfully rebuilt and got Thomas, Ventura, McDowell and Fernandez in 4 consecutive drafts, and suffered through 3 seasons of barely drawing 1 million fans, it didn't lead to the "sustained success" that many here now say is a requirement for fans to come to games.

I really think people are confusing the NBA with MLB. Not many teams bottom out, trade all their best assets for prospects and are contending anytime soon.

The strike kind of killed baseball good will in mid 90s.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
Yep, they can still trade Peavy and have a solid pitching staff (even if I have no confidence in Danks ever being an average starter again). The one thing this organization can't have happen is to strikeout on trades like they have recently if Peavy is dealt.

Of course, striking out on prospects is the norm, not the exception, but for now we get to ignore that and scream "tear it down!".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
How old is Sale? How old is Peavy?

And how old would Sale be once the Sox were ready to win? Why risk where he would be health and contract-wise at that point. They are in last, they obviously can't win with him. Dump him now and let's complain about everything White Sox for the next decade. As you know, there is nothing better.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Ramirez is batting 2nd tonight! NO Keppinger! Gillaspie clean-up!!

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the lack of success, but Keppinger's effort hasn't impressed me this season especially for someone described as scrappy. To me he appears to be mailing it in, content he got paid.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the lack of success, but Keppinger's effort hasn't impressed me this season especially for someone described as scrappy. To me he appears to be mailing it in, content he got paid.

I have no idea what the numbers look like, but it seems like he has hit a ton of first pitch ground balls.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

I can't disagree with this. His defensive play has been erratic to the point that it makes Alexei look focused. Yes I know that he's not used to 2b, but if you're signing a "utility guy" he better be ready to be a utility guy.

I'll give him some time for his numbers with the bat to even out, he's due for a lot of hits to fall in that sense.

If the Sox are looking to start moving players, I am targeting 25-28 year olds change of scenery or players who are blocked who are still producing at AAA. Three that come to mind right away in Pittsburgh are Alex Presley, Jerry Sands, and Ivan DeJesus (though Sands doesn't quite fit the criteria as he's been dreadful this year). You can get a lot of these types of players for below their value and for smaller pieces (primarily low level prospects, mediocre starting players, and relievers) and they can contribute to your team immediately.

You obviously want to get young players and prospects, but these others seem to present themselves to a quick rebuild and, at least in my mind, they are just as likely to be successful. I think the reason teams avoid this route is because you can find out, fairly quickly, that the player does not fit in with the team, they become virtually valueless, and then they are out of options and you lose them within a 6-12 month time frame anyways, where as with 21-24 year olds, you let them develop for a year or two, they don't get it, and then you release them almost anonymously (which is what happened with Jon Gilmore).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
If the Sox are looking to start moving players, I am targeting 25-28 year olds change of scenery or players who are blocked who are still producing at AAA. Three that come to mind right away in Pittsburgh are Alex Presley, Jerry Sands, and Ivan DeJesus (though Sands doesn't quite fit the criteria as he's been dreadful this year). You can get a lot of these types of players for below their value and for smaller pieces (primarily low level prospects, mediocre starting players, and relievers) and they can contribute to your team immediately.

You obviously want to get young players and prospects, but these others seem to present themselves to a quick rebuild and, at least in my mind, they are just as likely to be successful. I think the reason teams avoid this route is because you can find out, fairly quickly, that the player does not fit in with the team, they become virtually valueless, and then they are out of options and you lose them within a 6-12 month time frame anyways, where as with 21-24 year olds, you let them develop for a year or two, they don't get it, and then you release them almost anonymously (which is what happened with Jon Gilmore).

Those are the types of player we have been targeting apparently. A Jose Quintana who couldn't rise in the Yankees system. A Connor Gillaspie who was blocked in SF. Blake Tekkote who wasn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)

Agreed. Especially the low OBP. I would've thought he'd see a lot more pitches and foul some stuff off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Those are the types of player we have been targeting apparently. A Jose Quintana who couldn't rise in the Yankees system. A Connor Gillaspie who was blocked in SF. Blake Tekkote who wasn't going anywhere.

I think this is the right philosophy too. You see studs like Carlos Quentin and Chris Davis rise out of the ashes simply because their original team could get them to break through the struggles.

Another guy that fits is Eric Thames in Seattle. The PCL is a little trickier because the numbers are so ghastly, but he has constantly showed good power, average, and plate discipline and is a guy who has never really gotten a shot.

(PS - another guy who fits this criteria is...Jordan Danks)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
(PS - another guy who fits this criteria is...Jordan Danks)

It's very lonely around here being a Jordan Danks fan. But I would love to see him play more. If you send him down, pack a 1B glove and teach him play the position.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 8, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
It's very lonely around here being a Jordan Danks fan. But I would love to see him play more. If you send him down, pack a 1B glove and teach him play the position.

Waitt... what? Jordan Danks at first base? Why the- What... his only tool is speed.

Re: white flag trade

That's not an issue. This team is already bad. They're not getting much worse. There aren't any bankable stars that fans would even consider to be white flag worthy. You think there will be an uproar if they move Rios? Nobody came to the park to see PK when he was good. I'd hang on to Peavy and keep the rotation strong. I'd actively try to move everybody else. They should probably capitalize on the Cubs rebuilding too. At least there isn't another show in town.