5/8 Games

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Johnson with a real rough 3rd inning.

Listening to it now on Tennessee Smokies' radio station.

Lucky to give up just 2. Completely lost his control/command momentarily. One of those AB's went around 10 pitches with balls being fouled off. At least he was able to limit it with the K to end the inning.

Those were the first two runs in 29 innings for the Smokies.

By the way, Soler is 2/2 for Daytona with his 5th homer.

Around 70 pitches already through 3 1/3. Having a much harder time the second go through the line-up. Lots of pitches being fouled off, lots of full counts and not as many "swings and misses" as you'd like.

But he does have 4 K's.

After a line drive single, just gave up a bomb to Tim Torrez/Torres.

6-4 now, after being a 6-0 lead. Johnson had retired the first six hitters in a row. SIGH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?s...mp;ymd=20130508

Saladino's continuing to get back into the conversation.

Semien impressing still.

Typical Santos Rodrigez line.

Taylor Thompson just keeps on trucking along...opening some eyes since the AFL selection.

The problem is that, by all accounts i've read, Phegley is barely a catcher.

Might be inclined to give him a crack at some platoon DH though, since Dunn is somehow worse off than Flowers right now.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)

Might be inclined to give him a crack at some platoon DH though, since Dunn is somehow worse off than Flowers right now.

Well, it's not like we have shutting down opponents' running games or making great pitch selection decisions...or blocking wild pitches, either.

He has shown a good contact rate, but minimal power and a poor walk rate. The thing scouts seem to love most about Phegley is his makeup and work ethic. It is what put him above several other top catchers in the '09 draft along with his spectacular college production (Indiana). His level swing results in a lot of line drives, but is part of the reason why he hasn't shown big power. Behind the plate he has a good arm, but problems in other areas of his defense (though recent reports indicate improvement)

www.chicagonow/futuresox

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daggins @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)

If Phegley is barely a catcher, then maybe he can split 1B next year with Dunn once Paulie leaves.

I'll chill with the Phegley love until he has more at bats. Last season he started off hot too (in fact batted .352 in same number of games right now with a very high OPS) and then dramatically cooled down. He is a notorious quick starter. Has been even since his college days. I will say the power is very encouraging though. Around this time last season, he only had 1 homer.

Well, it's not like we have shutting down opponents' running games or making great pitch selection decisions...or blocking wild pitches, either.

He has shown a good contact rate, but minimal power and a poor walk rate. The thing scouts seem to love most about Phegley is his makeup and work ethic. It is what put him above several other top catchers in the '09 draft along with his spectacular college production (Indiana). His level swing results in a lot of line drives, but is part of the reason why he hasn't shown big power. Behind the plate he has a good arm, but problems in other areas of his defense (though recent reports indicate improvement)

www.chicagonow/futuresox

You don't need to write "poor walk rate" when talking about Sox prospects. It's understood.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)

You haven't read many accounts then.

"Defensively, Phegley has a very strong and accurate throwing arm. His arm strength is probably his best and most advanced tool. Last season at Triple-A, he threw out 46 percent of would-be basestealers, an extremely high number. Phegley's defense earned him a Rawlings Gold Glove Award. When I saw him play, he was a bit stiff in his overall movements, but he blocked balls in the dirt and his overall mechanics were solid. So far this season, Phegley has thrown out 56 percent of would-be basestealers."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 9, 2013 -> 05:58 AM)
I'll chill with the Phegley love until he has more at bats. Last season he started off hot too (in fact batted .352 in same number of games right now with a very high OPS) and then dramatically cooled down. He is a notorious quick starter. Has been even since his college days. I will say the power is very encouraging though. Around this time last season, he only had 1 homer.

I agree with this. If by the end of May Flowers is still batting below .200 and Phegley has an OPS over 1.000 , then you probably make the switch.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 9, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
You haven't read many accounts then.

"Defensively, Phegley has a very strong and accurate throwing arm. His arm strength is probably his best and most advanced tool. Last season at Triple-A, he threw out 46 percent of would-be basestealers, an extremely high number. Phegley's defense earned him a Rawlings Gold Glove Award. When I saw him play, he was a bit stiff in his overall movements, but he blocked balls in the dirt and his overall mechanics were solid. So far this season, Phegley has thrown out 56 percent of would-be basestealers."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

From what I've been gathered, the arm is Phegley's only real asset at catcher. Pretty bad at everything else that is inherent to catching. That being said, if he has all of a sudden figured it out and continues to hit like this, the White Sox will live with his defensive deficiencies behind the plate.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
From what I've been gathered, the arm is Phegley's only real asset at catcher. Pretty bad at everything else that is inherent to catching. That being said, if he has all of a sudden figured it out and continues to hit like this, the White Sox will live with his defensive deficiencies behind the plate.

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 11m

Very good arm, struggles as a receiver RT @professorfog: @jjcoop36 How it Josh Phegley defensively at catcher?

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More