Books that made an impact. Or, books that you couldnt quite finish

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
Am I the only one who found The Great Gatsby book in HS to be extremely boring? I mean, I'll admit I only read about 5% of the assigned books throughout grade school/high school/college, but I remember the Spark Notes being incredibly boring w/ that book.

I guess I just don't get it, or I'm not cultured enough.

Yeah, probably.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Am I the only one who found The Great Gatsby book in HS to be extremely boring? I mean, I'll admit I only read about 5% of the assigned books throughout grade school/high school/college, but I remember the Spark Notes being incredibly boring w/ that book.

Nope. I agree with you. I read it like 4 years ago and was bored out of my mind. I kept reading only to say I've read the book.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 9, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Nope. I agree with you. I read it like 4 years ago and was bored out of my mind. I kept reading only to say I've read the book.

Hah, what's that Mark Twain quote? "A classic is a book everyone wants to have read, but doesn't want to read?"

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)

Wait, are you saying the book was boring based off the Spark Notes of the book?

If that's the case, you didn't find the Great Gatsby to be extremely boring. You found the Spark Notes version of the Great Gatsby to be extremely boring.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 9, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)

If that's the case, you didn't find the Great Gatsby to be extremely boring. You found the Spark Notes version of the Great Gatsby to be extremely boring.

When did Spark overtake Cliff on the lazy student market?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
When did Spark overtake Cliff on the lazy student market?

No later than early 2000s, because when I was in high school, Spark Notes had the lazy student market cornered. At least at New Trier that's what people used.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)

Well we read chapters in class, did assignments on them, watch the movie. I know the story, I just found it really boring.

I never used Cliff notes. All of our teachers would make tests that you would fail if you used cliff notes, specific things in the books that the cliff notes would gloss over. There was really no point.

And besides, by the time I had hit sophomore year, I had already read 1984, Animal Farm, of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby, Flowers for Algernon etc. multiple times. I read the first three 7 years in a row starting in 6th grade.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I never used Cliff notes. All of our teachers would make tests that you would fail if you used cliff notes, specific things in the books that the cliff notes would gloss over. There was really no point.

And besides, by the time I had hit sophomore year, I had already read 1984, Animal Farm, of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby, Flowers for Algernon etc. multiple times. I read the first three 7 years in a row starting in 6th grade.

Yea, it was pretty easy for teachers to make quizzes/tests that spark/cliff notes wouldn't be able to answer.

The only book I ever considered to just do spark notes for was Heart of Darkness, I just couldn't get into that one. Other than that, I pretty much loved every book we read, including a lot that many found boring (To the Lighthouse was one, some theater of the absurd stuff was interesting like Waiting for Godot).

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)

I actually think I read most of Animal Farm.

The only books I ever recall reading cover to cover in any level of school was Night by Eli Wiesel, because I LOVE Holocaust stuff, and The Outsiders, because it was super entertaining. I just happen to be an exceptional test/quiz taker and essay bulls***ter. That s*** infuriates my friends/family.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Well we read chapters in class, did assignments on them, watch the movie. I know the story, I just found it really boring.

It's about more than just a basic plot. Plot's just something to build your themes and ideas around.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Somehow I never read Catcher in the Rye, 1984, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird, any Twain and a bunch of other "everybody reads those in school" books.

All very good books, I'd recommend reading them as for the most part they are really worth reading.

Siddartha was the first book assigned to me going into high school (it was summer reading before the school year started) and I just couldn't get into it when it was assigned. I reread it a few years later and loved it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 9, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
All very good books, I'd recommend reading them as for the most part they are really worth reading.

Siddartha was the first book assigned to me going into high school (it was summer reading before the school year started) and I just couldn't get into it when it was assigned. I reread it a few years later and loved it.

I take that back about 1984, we did have to read that (I still have my copy from high school!)

I've read the others in recent years. Actually just finished To Kill a Mockingbird last weekend. Something like Of Mice and Men or Animal Farm can be finished in an hour or so.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 9, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
It's about more than just a basic plot. Plot's just something to build your themes and ideas around.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)