RV-Team Meeting/Strategies for improving defense?

caulfield12

You know there's an issue when "ball gets away!..." has been uttered by Hawk more this year then "You can put it on the board. YES!" I swear I hear "ball gets away!..." like 2-3 times a game.

Edited by jeffro2525

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 35m

Ventura: "you’re trying to give them the right stuff because apparently spring training didn’t do it.''

Mark Gonzales Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 36m

INF Angel Sanchez, on DL, just had long chat with Herm Schneider and Rick Hahn during BP. Rehab assignment coming soon.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 14, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
I guess if his job is to have an OBP in the .260-.280 range he's killing it. If we have a younger, cheaper player who does the exact same things he should be given the nod. Danks has shown he can handle AAA.

The difference in their salaries is something like $200,000.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Yeah but if we never sign Wise it's a $700,000 difference. Danks is this organization's best defensive outfielder. Danks has .355 OBP in the minors and Wise's career high OBP is .293.

Save $700,000 + See what a young player has + better defense + improve OBP on the MLB's worst OBP team.

I'm with you

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 15, 2013 -> 04:39 AM)
Yeah but if we never sign Wise it's a $700,000 difference. Danks is this organization's best defensive outfielder. Danks has .355 OBP in the minors and Wise's career high OBP is .293.

Urban legend :)

It's beginning to remind me of Dewon Day having the best slider in the organization.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)

Save $700,000 + See what a young player has + better defense + improve OBP on the MLB's worst OBP team.

I'm not sure if two of those are actually true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)
Exactly. Wise's OBP in the minors since 2008, when Danks debuted, is about .380.

Trust me. I was all for Danks coming up last year and it being his job. In the times that Jordan has been up here, I haven't seen anything that really told me he would be significantly better than Wise, especially when the price for DW is only $700k. And I won't undersell the clubhouse factor as being important here. Something hasn't been right with the team this year, and it isn't something that has been easy to explain.

No, it's not a $700K difference, because the player who takes his roster spot makes at least the league minimum of $400K.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
Trust me. I was all for Danks coming up last year and it being his job. In the times that Jordan has been up here, I haven't seen anything that really told me he would be significantly better than Wise, especially when the price for DW is only $700k. And I won't undersell the clubhouse factor as being important here. Something hasn't been right with the team this year, and it isn't something that has been easy to explain.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. How does a team go from good to horrible defensively in less than a year with pretty much the same players. I'm sure that there is some bad luck involved, but it seems to me there has been some kind of attitude shift. Some type of clubhouse presence or issue that has had a big influence on the mental part of the game. Have they tuned Ventura out already? Do they miss the annoyance of Peirzynski that much? Is Beckham really the glue of this team?

I will never understand the hatred for Wise. He's been pretty solid all around as a back up OF, and his teammates love him. Who cares what he did 5 years ago. That doesn't matter. We are talking about a 4th OF. He's hit homers, he can field, he can pinch run. If he were a .350 OBP guy, he'd be a starter making millions. I'm sure Jordan Danks is a good guy too, but he's most likely not a difference maker on a major league team. This team has too many other issues other than back up OFs. This debate is going on and on over every White Sox message board. I just don't understand it. If Jordan Danks is going to be the star some think he is, is he better off playing once a week in Chicago or every day in Charlotte? And what did Dewayne Wise do to get the potshots he gets? There is a reason guys are bench players. They aren't good enough to be regulars. Wise does a good job filling in when needed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 15, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
No, it's not a $700K difference, because the player who takes his roster spot makes at least the league minimum of $400K.

$500k, but yes, true. I was just going by the original posters math. Regardless, even if you want to use the assertion that we are out $700,000, what difference does that make? That is literally throw away money in MLB.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 15, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
That's what I've been trying to figure out. How does a team go from good to horrible defensively in less than a year with pretty much the same players. I'm sure that there is some bad luck involved, but it seems to me there has been some kind of attitude shift. Some type of clubhouse presence or issue that has had a big influence on the mental part of the game. Have they tuned Ventura out already? Do they miss the annoyance of Peirzynski that much? Is Beckham really the glue of this team?

Last year the players repeatedly said that spring training was the most fundamentals-focused, back to basics spring training that the players had ever been through. I think that was nearly the entire reason. For years the manager had played favorites and let guys he like take it easy while being excessively hard on a few guys he didn't like, and the fundamentals suffered up and down the list. Last year, everyone practiced everything in spring relentlessly and by April, hitting the cutoff man was second nature.

If I'm right and that's the case for last year...that tells you the opposite happened in spring training this year.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 15, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Not quite. Regardless of Danks' defense that may be overrated, he's better than any of our starters out there. I'd rather give Danks a chance. While both seasons have been limited, his last two seasons ('12 & '13) at AAA he's posted +.300/+.400. Tieing in his above average defense and it's time for him to graduate and I am not high on him enough to give him a starting job.

With Wise you know what you're getting. Above average speed, above average defense and s***ty stats at the plate. I think Danks can do that and even have a chance to excel. Plus, Danks has been clutch in his short time up. Even in a role where he would go a full week with out at bats he got in in some extra inning games and hit a walk off homer and a GW homer. With Wise, you get nothing after this year. He is 32 (about?) and is a journey man. Keep Wise and then we go to 2014 without knowing what Danks can do. Especially how this year has been looking you have to give the nod to Danks to see what he has.

The difference is Wise knows his role.

He's not a regular player, except for a few brief stretches of his long career. It's hard to ask younger players like Danks to step into that kind of role. Danks' long swing/hitting approach doesn't lend itself to getting 3-4 AB's once every ten days.

If Danks can improve his contact rate, then we can talk. Danks is always swinging for the fences. DWise makes contact and hustles for doubles. He does make base running gaffes from time to time but he also has some pop in his bat too.

Ventura had mixed emotions about three miscues that nearly cost the Sox - Alejandro De Aza's base running mistake that cost the Sox a run in the fourth, left fielder Dayan Viciedo's crooked route that resulted in a two-run double by Howie Kendrick in the sixth, and Alex Rios not running to first on a wild pitch on a strike three call in which Rios thought he checked his swing.

Ventura didn't think that De Aza's mistake was terrible because Ventura thought that shortstop Erick Aybar could have trapped Alexei Ramirez's line drive if De Aza wasn't running.

As for Viciedo, "you want him to make that play, but again, we want to get better at it," Ventura said. "He probably should have had it.''

As for Rios: "I don't know if he saw it at first or where it was," Ventura said. "But we talked to him."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports