5/13 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ May 13, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
Not sure what to make of Phegley, who hasn't really been very impressive with the bat thus far in his career

Hard to say. It's always possible he's gotten better. Improving the eye at the plate leads to magnificent things. Just look at Viciedo right now with the small, but delicious, sample size.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 13, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
Hard to say. It's always possible he's gotten better. Improving the eye at the plate leads to magnificent things. Just look at Viciedo right now with the small, but delicious, sample size.

Phegley was highly touted for the bat when he was drafted, as a supp pick. He started well out of the gate too, then had health issues over a multi-year period. He's finally been healthy a full season last year, and offseson going into this year. That, too, will do magnificent things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
Phegley was highly touted for the bat when he was drafted, as a supp pick. He started well out of the gate too, then had health issues over a multi-year period. He's finally been healthy a full season last year, and offseson going into this year. That, too, will do magnificent things.

Indeed sir!

Hey weren't people saying he looked like s*** this spring, especially behind the plate? What's up with all that?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 13, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
Indeed sir!

Hey weren't people saying he looked like s*** this spring, especially behind the plate? What's up with all that?

He has a good arm. That's about it. He isn't a very good receiver at all. If the bat is legitimate you live with his defensive deficiencies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)

We shall see. He's had two straight full seasons of sub-.700 OPS baseball. I'm rooting for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 13, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)
We shall see. He's had two straight full seasons of sub-.700 OPS baseball. I'm rooting for him.

True but misleading. 2011 he started at AA (where he had only played a few games previously), then went to AAA for the first time, so he had a season where he was basically new at a level, and was promoted before the season was up. 2012 was his first full season in AAA, and there yes, he had a .680 OPS.

Also, look at his contact and walk rates... his K/PA has been pretty consistently around 15% the last few years, which is pretty good. His walk rate has gone from 4.7% last year to 7.1% this year.

I'm not saying he is going to keep up this torrid pace - he won't. I'm saying I think the bat can play in the majors. I'm more concerned about his defense, sans arm. And his ability to handle pitchers, which I don't know anything about.