Should White Sox Hold or Fold?

Jake

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
It seems like there are less teams than usual that might be looking to sell. It must be the optimism about TV rights, etc. Teams like the Mets and Padres are talking about adding payroll despite losing records this year.

Because they aren't Soxtalk and aren't smart enough to realize if you are 5 games out on May 13th with a .225 team batting average, the season and the decade are over.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Good luck signing high priced free agents with the Dodgers, Cubs and other big market teams lurking. If healthy, someone like Chase Utley (mentioned on this board quite often) seems like a perfect fit for the Dodgers (born in California, college at UCLA).

I don't think Chase Utley make them a playoff team next year. 3 years for a 36 year-old middle infielder would trouble me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
Because they aren't Soxtalk and aren't smart enough to realize if you are 5 games on May 13th with a .225 team batting average, the season and the decade are over.

A team like the Mets know they won't contend this year, but the talk is that they're trying to find ways to get Stanton. They know they have Harvey and Wheeler in their rotation for the next 5 years or so, and that is what they're trying to build their franchise around.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
A team like the Mets know they won't contend this year, but the talk is that they're trying to find ways to get Stanton. They know they have Harvey and Wheeler in their rotation for the next 5 years or so, and that is what they're trying to build their franchise around.

Except for Wright, there is not much you would want from the Mets offensively.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
If you are willing to take on some money, you can get some guys for just about nothing every year.

LOL! You mean like the Jays did? Sure model your team after the Jays Dick Allen. That makes a lot of sense. BTW, who are these big contracts that teams will want to get rid of?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
LOL! You mean like the Jays did? Sure model your team after the Jays Dick Allen. That makes a lot of sense. BTW, who are these big contracts that teams will want to get rid of?

LOL. Your way is the Pirates, Royals, jays prior to this year, Astros, Rays and Cubs model. Horrible teams for years and years. You would be in your glory moaning about them.

One guy they could get for nothing is your boy, Josh Hamilton.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'll be honest, I don't even know what the argument is anymore. No one truly thinks the Sox are going to be trading Sale or Santiago. Outside of that, everyone will be on the market I'd assume and no one seems too against that. That doesn't mean all 23 players on the active roster will get traded. As long as you have the likes of Sale/Santiago in your rotation, it's hard to picture a situation where a full rebuild in the mode of the Marlins takes place. That doesn't mean that you spend a fortune this offseason to try to path every hole the big league roster has.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
The main thing that article showed to me is that Alexei should be traded if possible. Lot of money being spent on him the next few years with some serious offensive decline taking place. I still think Alexei for Matt Adams makes a lot of sense for both teams.

I'm all for actively shopping anyone not named Sale, but would be reluctant to move Ramirez. He may be declining offensively, but his defense is still elite. When you rely on your pitching as much as the Sox, moving premier shortstops doesn't make much sense. We've been spoiled with defensive shortstops for the last decade. People forget how important they are. He saves a ton of hits.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
I'll be honest, I don't even know what the argument is anymore. No one truly thinks the Sox are going to be trading Sale or Santiago. Outside of that, everyone will be on the market I'd assume and no one seems too against that. That doesn't mean all 23 players on the active roster will get traded. As long as you have the likes of Sale/Santiago in your rotation, it's hard to picture a situation where a full rebuild in the mode of the Marlins takes place. That doesn't mean that you spend a fortune this offseason to try to path every hole the big league roster has.

Right. Dealing guys like Peavy, Rios, and Ramirez does not constitute an Astros-like rebuild.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
LOL. Your way is the Pirates, Royals, jays prior to this year, Astros, Rays and Cubs model. Horrible teams for years and years. You would be in your glory moaning about them.

One guy they could get for nothing is your boy, Josh Hamilton.

LOL! You have a plan - sign good free agents. Who are these good free agents?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
Right. Dealing guys like Peavy, Rios, and Ramirez does not constitute an Astros-like rebuild.

I would say...that depends. What are you getting back? MLB players is something I'm willing to think about...but A-ball aged minor leaguers means we're waiting a long while for MLB production.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
LOL! You have a plan - sign good free agents. Who are these good free agents?

You are right as always Marty. The way to make the Sox better is to put Ramirez on waivers. LMAO. If they hit, which they might even do this year, they are a good team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
You are right as always Marty. The way to make the Sox better is to put Ramirez on waivers. LMAO. If they hit, which they might even do this year, they are a good team.

LOL! Thanks for the insight!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
It was a generic time frame. Ok, so maybe it's five years. I don't care.

It's amazing how critical everyone is on this board over posts. Wow.

Sorry mags but you set yourself up for that one. It is easy to call for a complete tear down but what are we supposed to be expecting in retrun for trading all our players away and who is on the block? Plus how many more of these threads are we going to see? At the start of todays game we were 5 out in the AL Central. Our offense is struggling and we make to many errors and mental mistakes. Does that mean we can't ever expect players to live up to their potential or career numbers? I don't see any reason to panic yet

They have to strike gold in typical fashion...except it's going to be the opposite of injecting Contreras, Garcia and Jenks into the equation nearly a decade ago.

We need their offensive equivalent...another infusion like 2008-2009 with the same impact of Quentin, Ramirez, Viciedo and Rios coming on board.

It seems to go in cycles. Unfortunately, we don't have much margin for error.

And I'm coming around to the position that we would be better off with Beckham or Sanchez at SS and selling Ramirez off before we have to eat part of Alexei's contract...that continued OPS decline is worrisome.

This year, the Ramirez contract still isn't a bad one...but it's getting worse and worse. He would be a more valuable player in the NL, arguably.

We just have to play through July and see where we are. Would be pretty shocking if Alexei Ramirez being on or off the roster would be the single biggest factor in chasing down the division lead. That's all on Rios, Konerko, Dunn and Viciedo hitting like we expect.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
It was a generic time frame. Ok, so maybe it's five years. I don't care.

It's amazing how critical everyone is on this board over posts. Wow.

Wow. Someone wanted to discuss your comment on a message board. Welcome to the internet.

Personally, I think it's just too early to ask this question. But, if we're still >5 games out and in last place around the deadline, they should absolutely trade all the bullpen pitchers who will be gone after this year while dangling basically everybody not named Sale in the hopes that some team will bite. Realistically, Peavy's the only particularly interesting player amongst that group right now, but I could see somebody biting on Rios or maybe even Alexei. There's no reason we can't sell off at the deadline if it's obvious that we aren't very good.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
I don't think Chase Utley make them a playoff team next year. 3 years for a 36 year-old middle infielder would trouble me.

not only 36, but often injured. No thanks on Chase

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 13, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
We don't have an ML-caliber offense. Tearing down is the only way to become a yearly contender. I will gladly take 2-3 years of crap in order to have sustained success rather than years of mediocrity.

I think this is a cop-out answer and is totally wrong. A very similar offense to this scored the 4th most runs in the AL last year. They are bound to heat up at some point, and there's no reason to rush to a decision.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
It seems like there are less teams than usual that might be looking to sell. It must be the optimism about TV rights, etc. Teams like the Mets and Padres are talking about adding payroll despite losing records this year.

Just an observation- it feels as if every year one hears about another 2 or 3 teams that acquire the license to print their own money via new Broadcast rights deals. At what point is everyone back to a level playing field? I know I read something a while back that had a pretty sizable group of teams (7 or 8 IIRC) on the verge of having their current deals expire by 2015 or so.