Disney sexies up Merida from Brave, parents upset about body image iss

caulfield12

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three girls that grew up playing with Barbies and watching the Disney princess movies and none of them have any sort of body issues.

I myself grew up playing with over-muscled action figures like He-man and GI joe and never had a thought to try and imitate their body styles.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
I have three girls that grew up playing with Barbies and watching the Disney princess movies and none of them have any sort of body issues.

I myself grew up playing with over-muscled action figures like He-man and GI joe and never had a thought to try and imitate their body styles.

I do find myself overly attached to pizza though.

It's more of an issue for girls since women are much more likely to be judged on their looks and attractiveness by society than a man. That recent incident with the Miami fan giving Noah the finger is a good example. She was called a dog, ugly, etc., her looks were a primary part of the story, but that probably wouldn't have been the same for a man.

I dunno why Disney decided to sex-up this character. Wasn't she supposed to be all woodsy and not super-feminine in that movie? Just seems like an odd move for the character more than anything.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
It's more of an issue for girls since women are much more likely to be judged on their looks and attractiveness by society than a man. That recent incident with the Miami fan giving Noah the finger is a good example. She was called a dog, ugly, etc., her looks were a primary part of the story, but that probably wouldn't have been the same for a man.

I dunno why Disney decided to sex-up this character. Wasn't she supposed to be all woodsy and not super-feminine in that movie? Just seems like an odd move for the character more than anything.

The guy next to her was also being hit with a bunch comments for looking orange and roided up. People in Miami look ridiculous on top of being awful sports fans.

Much ado about nothing IMO. If parents actually parented, this wouldn't be an issue. There are a bazillion influences on kids and yet they all grow up being affected by some but not others. We've had unrealistic looking princesses from Disney for 50-60 years and yet little girls are still little girls and life goes on.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)

Not only that, but the movie is only a year old. It isnt like they are updating snow white or sleeping beauty to look more modern.

It is weird. I think some of it has to do with the heat between disney and the director that got fired right before the movie came out. She is especially pissed about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
The guy next to her was also being hit with a bunch comments for looking orange and roided up. People in Miami look ridiculous on top of being awful sports fans.

The attacks immediately came up over her looks. Women are judged on their looks constantly, men aren't. They might be called out for looking ridiculous (orange roid-heads) but a run-of-the-mill guy isn't going to have his sexual attractiveness criticized or commented on routinely as a part of the story.

Much ado about nothing IMO. If parents actually parented, this wouldn't be an issue. There are a bazillion influences on kids and yet they all grow up being affected by some but not others. We've had unrealistic looking princesses from Disney for 50-60 years and yet little girls are still little girls and life goes on.

We also have had serious body-image and self-esteem issues particularly with young women so role models and cultural influences seem pretty relevant. "Parents actually parent[ing]" doesn't magically make social influences disappear.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
Ariel-little-mermaid-ariels-beginning-16

Basically POV blow job cam, but there's a problem with the outfit from Brave? Give me a break.

Also:

Ariel-Sebastian-and-Flounder-the-little-

links are broken

but past Disney movies/princesses haven't escaped criticism over the years. Characters like Brave and Mulan were lauded for breaking from those stereotypes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
The attacks immediately came up over her looks. Women are judged on their looks constantly, men aren't. They might be called out for looking ridiculous (orange roid-heads) but a run-of-the-mill guy isn't going to have his sexual attractiveness criticized or commented on routinely as a part of the story.

We also have had serious body-image and self-esteem issues particularly with young women so role models and cultural influences seem pretty relevant. "Parents actually parent[ing]" doesn't magically make social influences disappear.

I get the issue, but what little girl or boy is going to want to watch the movie about the normal looking boring person? Isn't it human nature to want to portray our heroes as beautiful and strong and brilliant?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)

If you teach your kids that cartoons are - gasp! - FAKE and that it's pretend, this shouldn't be an issue. And frankly, if people are going to argue this point seriously, the original drawing wasn't exactly helping young fat girls to handle their body type very well. Look at the mom in that movie and the daughter. Both slim, great hair, facial features, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
I get the issue, but what little girl or boy is going to want to watch the movie about the normal looking boring person? Isn't it human nature to want to portray our heroes as beautiful and strong and brilliant?

All cartoon characters should look like this.

84794196_1ffc979d41.jpg

Although, they're far too skinny and that could create an issue. Let's fatten them up a little bit so as not to leave out the morbidly obese in this country. Honey Boo Boo might get her feelings hurt.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

What is or isn't beautiful is culturally dependent!

Brave made $237M in the US alone, so it seems like plenty of people liked the original character, who is strong and brilliant and, let's be honest, was not drawn to be unattractive but just wasn't overly sexualized.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
All cartoon characters should look like this.

Although, they're far too skinny and that could create an issue. Let's fatten them up a little bit so as not to leave out the morbidly obese in this country. Honey Boo Boo might get her feelings hurt.

Is there any topic you won't display your incredible ability to not "get it" on?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
What is or isn't beautiful is culturally dependent!

So maybe to some people they made her more ugly?

Im sure some guy out there is saying she doesnt have enough junk in her trunk.

(edit)

And why isnt this mother complaining that most of Disney's male leads are good looking.

You know Prince Charming, he doesnt create an unreachable stereotype for boys.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
If you teach your kids that cartoons are - gasp! - FAKE and that it's pretend, this shouldn't be an issue.

--noted child psychologist Jenksismyb****

It's part of a larger culture that judges women more often than not on their sexuality and holds up literally impossible standards of beauty (airbrush!)

edit: Shrek intentionally and deliberately reversed this trend by going from the archetypal princess to the heavy Ogre

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
If you teach your kids that cartoons are - gasp! - FAKE and that it's pretend, this shouldn't be an issue. And frankly, if people are going to argue this point seriously, the original drawing wasn't exactly helping young fat girls to handle their body type very well. Look at the mom in that movie and the daughter. Both slim, great hair, facial features, etc.

Regardless of what type of parents you are, kids are going to look up to their favorite fictional characters and their favorite athletes. I have great parents, but try as my dad and baseball coaches might, I still thought I should be out on my front foot with my back foot off the ground to drive the ball because that's what Frank Thomas did.

Plenty of young girls have issues with bulemia (sp) and anorexia. They can't possibly all have bad parents.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Is there any topic you won't display your incredible ability to not "get it" on?

Lol, ditto your assholery.

There's a difference between "getting it" and not giving two s***s about it. I clearly don't give two s***s about it on top of finding the entire notion utterly ridiculous. ZOMG THEY CHANGED A CARTOON CHARACTER. LITTLE GIRLS ARE KILLING THEMSELVES IN THE STREET. LET'S START A REVOLUTION.

But as I always say, keep fighting the fight. One day you'll have your perfect dream world where everyone is the exact same because then that .00001% you're so worried about won't be offended! Oh what a glorious thought!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
So maybe to some people they made her more ugly?

Im sure some guy out there is saying she doesnt have enough junk in her trunk.

Sure, to some individuals maybe, but for our culture as a whole, no. And those standards within that culture may change over time. Compare today's (airbrushed) models to some Renaissance-era paintings of idealistic beauty.

(edit)

And why isnt this mother complaining that most of Disney's male leads are good looking.

You know Prince Charming, he doesnt create an unreachable stereotype for boys.

Men aren't frequently judged primarily on their physical attractiveness.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Strangesox,

Men are judged by their looks as well. To say otherwise is a complete fallacy.

Not nearly to the same extent women are. Damn near every woman in the public sphere has her looks commented on and brought up as a legitimate topic of discussion and that simply doesn't hold true for men.