5/16 White Sox @ Angels

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 17, 2013 -> 03:57 AM)
My initial reaction on that play was that I was impressed he even read the ball well enough to be in the area. That ball had some crazy top spin. It was a hard catch to make.

The top spin would have made it easier for Viciedo to get to. It hit his glove and he didn't have to jump for it = should be caught

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
The top spin would have made it easier for Viciedo to get to. It hit his glove and he didn't have to jump for it = should be caught

If you think spin on a ball makes a catch easier for an OF, especially a LF, you haven't actually caught a ball in the OF.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 17, 2013 -> 05:01 AM)
If you think spin on a ball makes a catch easier for an OF, especially a LF, you haven't actually caught a ball in the OF.

No, I said it made it easier for him to get to since it didn't go as far as it appeared it would off the bat.

That was a case of the 2-2 pitch being a reasonable one to swing at, it was a great pitch, but he shouldn't have had two strikes because the others he swung at weren't close.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2013 -> 05:07 AM)
That was a case of the 2-2 pitch being a reasonable one to swing at, it was a great pitch, but he shouldn't have had two strikes because the others he swung at weren't close.

Until he learns to stop taking strikes and swinging at balls, he's going to struggle to hit over .200 in the majors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 11:08 PM)
Flowers seemingly can only homer but never hit with RISP in clutch situations.

Uh, yeah.

He has no plan at the plate. That first breaking ball was hung, but he was taking all the way. Then, he swings at a ball in the dirt. He's just out of sorts.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)

FWIW, the Angels' announcers said he did a good job just to get to the ball.

From their perspective, at the time of the play....it was a double, but a play that would be made about 30-40% of the time, at least my interpretation.