AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
I was surprised by the choice but the Rookie ST Party is Wednesday. Anyone else going?

If I could teleport like in Star Trek from China to USCF, I would gladly do it!!

I'll try to make it to a game between June 16th and the end of July when I'm back home in Iowa.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
Axelrod has turned into a pretty damn fine pitcher.

For a 6th starter filling in, and a guy who was released and signed as a minor league FA from the scrap heap... yeah, I'd say he's been a very nice acquisition. He's a major league starter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
For a 6th starter filling in, and a guy who was released and signed as a minor league FA from the scrap heap... yeah, I'd say he's been a very nice acquisition. He's a major league starter.

Axelrod as a starter at the MLB level:

19 games, 108.1 IP, 4.32 ERA, 75 K, 35 BB, 1.33 WHIP, 14 HR

Personally, that looks like a 4th starter to me. It's not a large sample size by any means (which his minor league numbers are, and those are phenomenal), but there's enough there for some stabilization. The Sox have a lot of talent in their rotation, but Axelrod really should be in a rotation somewhere in the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Axelrod as a starter at the MLB level:

19 games, 108.1 IP, 4.32 ERA, 75 K, 35 BB, 1.33 WHIP, 14 HR

Personally, that looks like a 4th starter to me. It's not a large sample size by any means (which his minor league numbers are, and those are phenomenal), but there's enough there for some stabilization. The Sox have a lot of talent in their rotation, but Axelrod really should be in a rotation somewhere in the majors.

The jury is still out for me until he gets at least 30-40 starts. Remember how good Phil Humber looks for 15-20 starts?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
The jury is still out for me until he gets at least 30-40 starts. Remember how good Phil Humber looks for 15-20 starts?

Here's where I see things differently.

Humber in AAA - 104 G (93 GS), 527 IP, 4.70 ERA, 403 K, 164 BB, 1.37 WHIP

Axelrod in AAA - 31 G (31 GS), 188.1 IP, 2.58 ERA, 167 K, 52 BB, 1.10 WHIP

You can compare their other minor league numbers too and Axelrod is far superior.

There might be some John Ely to Axelrod's game, and the second or third go around the league may start to destroy him, but I absolutely think he's a 4th starter in the majors.

I wouldn't be surprised if he faded off into the distance - righties with 89 MPH fastballs don't often make it in the majors - just that I think he absolutely deserves a shot.