AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Axelrod as a starter at the MLB level:

19 games, 108.1 IP, 4.32 ERA, 75 K, 35 BB, 1.33 WHIP, 14 HR

Personally, that looks like a 4th starter to me. It's not a large sample size by any means (which his minor league numbers are, and those are phenomenal), but there's enough there for some stabilization. The Sox have a lot of talent in their rotation, but Axelrod really should be in a rotation somewhere in the majors.

4/5 guy, I agree. When I said 6th starter, I just meant that is how he came into the season the past couple years. He could be a rotation staple for another team if the Sox want to move him at some point (not that he'd get a ton back, but, he does have some value).

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
I agree. He has great control but he needs to bulk up and increase his speeds.

1. It isn't real likely he'll be adding any speed at this point in his career.

2. Adding pitch speed is often not about bulking up - in fact it is the opposite in many cases.

If he improves his changeup, he's got a shot to be a #3 guy.

Anyways, your best way of getting value for Axelrod is including him in a package for a better player. You can sell the idea of him as a #3-4 starter much better when other players are included as opposed to if you are trying to sell him alone.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Axelrod as a starter at the MLB level:

19 games, 108.1 IP, 4.32 ERA, 75 K, 35 BB, 1.33 WHIP, 14 HR

Personally, that looks like a 4th starter to me. It's not a large sample size by any means (which his minor league numbers are, and those are phenomenal), but there's enough there for some stabilization. The Sox have a lot of talent in their rotation, but Axelrod really should be in a rotation somewhere in the majors.

Axelrod does nothing that drops your jaw, except get guys out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
If he improves his changeup, he's got a shot to be a #3 guy.

Anyways, your best way of getting value for Axelrod is including him in a package for a better player. You can sell the idea of him as a #3-4 starter much better when other players are included as opposed to if you are trying to sell him alone.

At his current salary, you aren't going to get true value in a trade for Axe. His best value is as a $500k starting pitcher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
1. It isn't real likely he'll be adding any speed at this point in his career.

2. Adding pitch speed is often not about bulking up - in fact it is the opposite in many cases.

Semantics. Quintana increased his fastball speed in the off season. He was around 88 last year and it's up to 90-92 now.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Semantics. Quintana increased his fastball speed in the off season. He was around 88 last year and it's up to 90-92 now.

Not semantics at all, these are base points to understand when looking at where he may go in development. And Quintana was over 90 last year, the FB faded late as he hit a new innings high.

Note also I didn't say it was impossible for him to add velocity, just not likely.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)

If anything, he's had a slight boost in velocity, there really hasn't been any drastic differences. He was at 90.4 MPH last year and is at 91.2 MPH this year. Also, there's this

11423_P_FA_20130516.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Quintana is also 3.5 years younger. Not sure why you're trying to compare the two at all.

Well we're all just giving our ideal opinions on how Axelrod can improve as a pitcher so I'm not sure why I can't compare the two.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 21, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
His minor league stats are really impressive upon checking them out.

One interesting thing of note is that he played in the Frontier League for the Windy City Thunderbolts in Crestwood. I played there on my high school team and they did a lot of fundraising for both my high school team and my travel team when I was younger.

His college career is pretty impressive as well, he was on some really good teams at UC Irvine

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
Here's where I see things differently.

Humber in AAA - 104 G (93 GS), 527 IP, 4.70 ERA, 403 K, 164 BB, 1.37 WHIP

Axelrod in AAA - 31 G (31 GS), 188.1 IP, 2.58 ERA, 167 K, 52 BB, 1.10 WHIP

You can compare their other minor league numbers too and Axelrod is far superior.

There might be some John Ely to Axelrod's game, and the second or third go around the league may start to destroy him, but I absolutely think he's a 4th starter in the majors.

I wouldn't be surprised if he faded off into the distance - righties with 89 MPH fastballs don't often make it in the majors - just that I think he absolutely deserves a shot.

Except in MLB, 90% of your destiny is your draft position.

It took many years and chances for teams to give up on Humber because of his high first round draft status.

It didn't take long for SD to give up on Axelrod, because 30th round draft picks are viewed as expendable.