Sale Scratched for Tomorrow

Heads22

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
Please be no big deal

Hector didn't last 4 innings his last time out, there's an extra pitcher coming up from the minors to make a start, Sale's velocity has been even better the last couple outings, I'm going with "giving him a break".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
Except for the guy going on 3 days rest, that would sound awfully convenient with another pitcher coming up from the minors.

Santiago also only threw like 80 pitches last time out. Can't hurt.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Any injury to Sale right now is scary. Hope it's nothing that lingers.

Maybe they shouldn't have let him dominate the Angels as much as he did.

Now you just JINXED Sale, too.

LOL.

There were many overreactions to the Sale situation last year, and mine was among the worst of those "freaking out" about the team's handling (or perceived mishandling, along with a lack of communication between Sale, Cooper, RV, KW and the agent) of the situation.

That said, it's eerie how as much of an issue it was in 2012, NOBODY seems concerned at all this year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Santiago also only threw like 80 pitches last time out. Can't hurt.

According to a Tribune article this morning Santiago also threw a 40 pitch bullpen session yesterday and even admits he wished that he had known he was going to start tonight before he threw it. :o

"Left-hander Hector Santiago, who threw a 40-pitch bullpen session Tuesday, will take Sale's spot.

"It kind of sucks that I found out after I threw my bullpen," Santiago said. "For the most part, I think I'll be fine."

I hope I'm wrong but this seems like a disasterous, emergency start tonight. I hope that the bullpen is ready for a long night. Maybe they can call an extra pitcher up for tonights game for a few innings.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
Who exactly are they supposed to call up?

Erik Johnson and Danks would also be on 3 day's rest.

Spencer Arroyo, theoretically.

Tony Pena, Jr., is the AAA starter aligned, but he threw 1 1/3 last night because of Castro only going 5 innings and getting bombed.

You hate to start someone in this situation...when they're having to go up against another team's ace, they threw 80 pitches on Saturday, then you're taking them out of their normal routine and "comfort zone" as they just threw a bullpen session of 40 pitches and would have 2 days and not just a single day to bounce back from that.

One shouldn't forget how many times this organization has bounced Santiago around...and then there was the game he was rushed into earlier in the year when Floyd went down that he struggled mightily in.

Other than that game and Saturday against the Angels, he has been excellent the entire season, more or less.

So you're sort of seeing the Sergio Santos Effect with him....almost every time he's out there, he's great...or he completely falls apart. Although, in fairness, he didn't take the loss, it was actually Nathan Jones on Saturday.

Edited by caulfield12