Paniagua?

CWSOX45

He was supposed to sign as soon as the league he played in ended.  And, even though we got Sully, I still think we should sign Paniagua.  I mean, we might as well, what could it hurt?

I agree. Except we'd have to send someone down when he is ready. Who would it be?

CWSOX45

If they signed him they'd do it to a minor league deal and send him to Charlotte most likely, giving them some aid. Then when the rosters expand you'd see him up. Unless they could figure out a way to finangle it so he could potentially be on the postseason roster, if he pitched good.

Either way, I think at this point in time the pen looks set as long as everyone stays healthy. Only spot left is whether Koch comes back or not. And as long as he's not on the DL, he'll be on the postseason roster.

Paniagua sucks, or 15 teams would be beating his door down right now. He was released by Detroit last year and couldn't make Tampa Bay in spring training. He would be the worst pitcher on the Sox staff if he were here. Quit the pipe dream of thinking he is what he was in 2000, he's not. One more time, he wasn't good enough for Detroit or Tampa Bay, that should tell you something.

Paniagua sucks, or 15 teams would be beating his door down right now. He was released by Detroit last year and couldn't make Tampa Bay in spring training. He would be the worst pitcher on the Sox staff if he were here. Quit the pipe dream of thinking he is what he was in 2000, he's not. One more time, he wasn't good enough for Detroit or Tampa Bay, that should tell you something.

Loaiza wasn't good enough for Toronto, Texas or Pittsburgh.

Anything can happen. If anyone predicted Loaiza being a Cy Young candidate earlier this year you along with everyone else would have told them they were full of s***.

That's the thing about baseball, Paniagua could still be a dominating pitcher even after he had horrendous seasons with the two worst teams in baseball.

You can assume all you want, however I think it couldn't hurt to give him a shot in AAA. That way if he sucks he can stay down there or we can release him, or if he's lights out we call him up in September.

CWSOX45

Anything can happen. If anyone predicted Loaiza being a Cy Young candidate earlier this year you along with everyone else would have told them they were full of s***.

That's the thing about baseball, Paniagua could still be a dominating pitcher even after he had horrendous seasons with the two worst teams in baseball.

You can assume all you want, however I think it couldn't hurt to give him a shot in AAA.  That way if he sucks he can stay down there or we can release him, or if he's lights out we call him up in September.

CWSOX45

There's a week left in the Charlotte season. Not enough time to evaluate this bum. If Loiasa stunk up the joint in spring training this year, he would be selling used cars. Pantiagua couldn't impress Tampa THIS spring, and was horrible in Detroit, when the fences were 4000 ft. from homeplate. I don't know why everyone is so fascinated with a guy who was last effective in 2000, and even then not that great. Sirotka was good in 2000, why don't the Sox go after him? St. Louis is so desparate for pitching the trade for Sterling Hitchcock, why don't they go after this guy? The fact that Paniagua hasn't signed yet indicates to me common sense has prevailed with White Sox management. Ginter, and Adkins are both better options than this guy

the guy was a solid reliever with loads of potential for a few years then has one bad year, which really wasn't bad (just a few TERRIBLE outings) and he's a bum? it is funny how quick people are to knock a guy just because they want to criticize.

the guy was a solid reliever with loads of potential for a few years then has one bad year, which really wasn't bad (just a few TERRIBLE outings) and he's a bum?  it is funny how quick people are to knock a guy just because they want to criticize.

Couldnt agree more. The way i look at it is, hes more good outings than bad ones. Id be willing to take a look at him, for sure. You NEVER, and i repeat NEVER have enough veteran relief pitchers.

You can assume all you want, however I think it couldn't hurt to give him a shot in AAA.  That way if he sucks he can stay down there or we can release him, or if he's lights out we call him up in September.

CWSOX45

There's a week left in the Charlotte season. Not enough time to evaluate this bum. If Loiasa stunk up the joint in spring training this year, he would be selling used cars. Pantiagua couldn't impress Tampa THIS spring, and was horrible in Detroit, when the fences were 4000 ft. from homeplate. I don't know why everyone is so fascinated with a guy who was last effective in 2000, and even then not that great. Sirotka was good in 2000, why don't the Sox go after him? St. Louis is so desparate for pitching the trade for Sterling Hitchcock, why don't they go after this guy? The fact that Paniagua hasn't signed yet indicates to me common sense has prevailed with White Sox management. Ginter, and Adkins are both better options than this guy

I don't think anyone was fascinated with him. I just think that most thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the guy in a no lose situation.

Why such hatred for a guy that was being discussed as possibly signing a minor league contract?

CWSOX45

I don't think anyone was fascinated with him. I just think that most thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the guy in a no lose situation.

Why such hatred for a guy that was being discussed as possibly signing a minor league contract?

Like I posted earlier, there is 1 week left in Charlotte's season. Hardly enough time to evaluate. If he had a bad arm last year when did it heal? It obviously didn't this spring because he couldn't make the D-Rays. Did it heal when he pitched a Veracruz this summer, his ERA was 9.45. I do not like to criticize, just there is a big difference between the Pan Am games and a major league pennant race. It is my opinion that he is no better than Ginter, or Rauch or Adkins.

so because of this he is a bum?

you can say he won't be ready, but to say he's a bum is wrong.

and even if he won't be ready, isn't worth the try?

what is wrong with signing him to a minor league deal? unless we for some reason are looking out for the better of the Knights.

so because of this he is a bum?

you can say he won't be ready, but to say he's a bum is wrong.

and even if he won't be ready, isn't worth the try?

what is wrong with signing him to a minor league deal?  unless we for some reason are looking out for the better of the Knights.

He's a bum because Seattle didn't want him, Detroit released him, and he couldn't make Tampa this spring even though Tampa has no pitchers making above minimum salary. Jim Parque made Tampa Bay's staff. All that and his ERA was above 9.00 in the Mexican League. To sign him to a minor league contract and maybe get him in 2 games is not enough time to determine whether or not he is not a bum anymore. This is not Loiasa. Loiasa had to make the team. Remember Paniaqua's ERA was below 2 at AAA last year, so his performance there will give no indication of his major league performance. Signing him is a waste of money,if they must spend it, put on an extra fireworks show. I'm pretty sure, however, if he hasn't signed yet, he won't, at least until next spring. If they bring him to spring training and he makes the team fine, but he can't help this year.