Vent Time

Noonskadoodle

I know we won 2 out of 3 against the Red Sox, but yesterdays managing from RV had me downright furious. He basically gave Boston a free win.

Hector goes out & puts up one gutsy performance on 3 days rest & keeps us in the ball game against Bucholz at 2-1.

Thennnnnnnnn the 7th inning comes along.

When I saw Omogrosso on the mound I immediately thought oh no, but then he escaped the 7th after allowing 2 hits & what I thought was a for sure hit back up the middle off the bat of Gomes.

Bats stay cold against Bucholz in the bottom half.

So after dodging a bullet in the top half of the 7th he trots OMOGROSSO BACK OUT THERE FOR THE 8th??? Thought for sure I was seeing things. He promptly goes on to load the bases up before RV goes & gets him, & then he brings in Jones in a bases loaded situation when the guy has struggled to find the zone consistently all year??? YIKES...He goes on to fall behind in the count to just about every single batter & they end up putting 2 more on the board.

Never have been more upset with RVs decision making.

He managed the bullpen like we were down by about 5 runs. You simply don't use Omogrosso in a one run game when your team is gaining momentum & looking to sweep a team...& you for damn sure don't use him for TWO innings...Heck trot Jones out there for the 7th & let him work with the bases empty, then trot Crain out there for the 8th.....but OMOGROSSO?.....FOR TWO INNINGS??.....& WITH AN OFF DAY FOLLOWING SO EVERYONE SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THAT PEN??

Just couldn't believe it.

/rant

Edited by Noonskadoodle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
I know we won 2 out of 3 against the Red Sox, but yesterdays managing from RV had me downright furious. He basically gave Boston a free win.

Hector goes out & puts up one gutsy performance on 3 days rest & keeps us in the ball game against Bucholz at 2-1.

Thennnnnnnnn the 7th inning comes along.

When I saw Omogrosso on the mound I immediately thought oh no, but then he escaped the 7th after allowing 2 hits & what I thought was a for sure hit back up the middle off the bat of Gomes.

Bats stay cold against Bucholz in the bottom half.

So after dodging a bullet in the top half of the 7th he trots OMOGROSSO BACK OUT THERE FOR THE 8th??? Thought for sure I was seeing things. He promptly goes on to load the bases up before RV goes & gets him, & then he brings in Jones in a bases loaded situation when the guy has struggled to find the zone consistently all year??? YIKES...He goes on to fall behind in the count to just about every single batter & they end up putting 2 more on the board.

Never have been more upset with RVs decision making.

He managed the bullpen like we were down by about 5 runs. You simply don't use Omogrosso in a one run game when your team is gaining momentum & looking to sweep a team...& you for damn sure don't use him for TWO innings...Heck trot Jones out there for the 7th & let him work with the bases empty, then trot Crain out there for the 8th.....but OMOGROSSO?.....FOR TWO INNINGS??.....& WITH AN OFF DAY FOLLOWING SO EVERYONE SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THAT PEN??

Just couldn't believe it.

/rant

Is he supposed to use the same 2 or 3 guys every game? You can't manage every game like it's game 7 of the WS. Crain appeared the last 2 games. Do you want him to get hurt and miss the next 120? The Sox came up with 2 runs. They were destined to lose no matter what BO or NJ did. The Sox bullpen has been getting a workout lately. Sometimes you have to hope the last guys in there can get the job done. You can't wear everyone out by the beginning of June.

Edited by Dick Allen

I was shocked after we made it through the 7th with Omogrosso that Jones wasn't there to start the 8th.

That was the most logical move.

If RV trusts Omogrosso more than Jones, we might as well send him down to Charlotte where he can pitch regularly in the 8th inning with a lead and get reacquainted with the idea of successfully setting up games for Reed to close out.

He's definitely not an ideal "long man" candidate...unless they send him to the very end of the bullpen and tell him to start throwing every pitch he used as a starter. Not sure how well that would work, as he's now programmed to think like a two-pitch pitcher and has ditched the curveball and change.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Is he supposed to use the same 2 or 3 guys every game? You can't manage every game like it's game 7 of the WS. Crain appeared the last 2 games. Do you want him to get hurt and miss the next 120? The Sox came up with 2 runs. They were destined to lose no matter what BO or NJ did. The Sox bullpen has been getting a workout lately. Sometimes you have to hope the last guys in there can get the job done. You can't wear everyone out by the beginning of June.

I understand that, but there is no reason for Omogrosso to be out there for back to back innings in a 1 run game with an off day following.

That is poor managing no matter how you look at it.

The Sox have no one besides Crain or Reed they trust in the pen. Both Reed and Crain had pitched in the last two days, and four of the last six. They weren't coming in yesterday unless it was a save situation.

He probably was also trying to avoid going too much with Jones, as he had gone 48 pitches against Anaheim 3 days before. Extending Omo and giving him a chance to make a statement might not seem logical, but guys can't go every day.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
I understand that, but there is no reason for Omogrosso to be out there for back to back innings in a 1 run game with an off day following.

That is poor managing no matter how you look at it.

No it's not. The alternative was Jones and/or Veal. They were in the game last night and didn't exactly dazzle. Plus, Jones had been warming up on and off since the 4th inning. They probably got to the point where theye wanted to avoid using him last night.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
No it's not. The alternative was Jones and/or Veal. They were in the game last night and didn't exactly dazzle. Plus, Jones had been warming up on and off since the 4th inning. They probably got to the point where theye wanted to avoid using him last night.

Omogrosso has been **** all year.

How can you possibly say that it's not poor managing to run him out there back to back innings in a one run game after he BARELY got out of the first one?

I'm sorry but IMO that is terrible no matter how you look at it.

Let Lindstrom or Jones work with the bases empty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
The Sox have no one besides Crain or Reed they trust in the pen. Both Reed and Crain had pitched in the last two days, and four of the last six. They weren't coming in yesterday unless it was a save situation.

He probably was also trying to avoid going too much with Jones, as he had gone 48 pitches against Anaheim 3 days before. Extending Omo and giving him a chance to make a statement might not seem logical, but guys can't go every day.

We're talking about the 8th inning correct? And the guys who had pitched the day before were Crain, Thornton, Lindstrom, and Reed, correct?

I.e. if it had remained a 1 run game, the most likely guy to get the 9th inning would be Jones?

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
Omogrosso has been **** all year.

How can you possibly say that it's not poor managing to run him out there back to back innings in a one run game after he BARELY got out of the first one?

I'm sorry but IMO that is terrible no matter how you look at it.

Let Lindstrom or Jones work with the bases empty.

Jones has been bad most of the year. Lindstrom has been bad recently. Veal has been horrible. Everyone complains when Thornton comes in. Crain and Reed weren't coming in there. There weren't many options, and what did Jones do last night that would make anyone think he would have been fine had he come in with the bases empty? This is just complaining to complain. It didn't matter. The Sox scored 2 runs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
We're talking about the 8th inning correct? And the guys who had pitched the day before were Crain, Thornton, Lindstrom, and Reed, correct?

I.e. if it had remained a 1 run game, the most likely guy to get the 9th inning would be Jones?

Tough to say. I think the idea was to use none of them if possible. Veal was probably also part of that plan if Omo had been successful.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)

Go ahead and criticize his decisions, but let's not get crazy with our over-exaggeration here. Boston had that game in control, the extra runs just made it easier on them. The Sox only scored 2 runs, which would have never given them the lead, who is to say Lindstrom/Crain don't give up a run, and I bet Bailey pitches differently to PK with a 1-run lead instead of a 5-run lead.

Robin did they best he could considering the circumstances. With that being said, they should send people down that can't throw strikes and just bring up some relievers from the minors and see what they can do. I was at the game last night and this group in front of me left in front me saying "I'm not staying to keep watching these bums put people on base!" If you can't throw a strike, you are gone! We need to see if we have any capable relief help or this season is toast although it may already be.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Robin did they best he could considering the circumstances. With that being said, they should send people down that can't throw strikes and just bring up some relievers from the minors and see what they can do. I was at the game last night and this group in front of me left in front me saying "I'm not staying to keep watching these bums put people on base!" If you can't throw a strike, you are gone! We need to see if we have any capable relief help or this season is toast although it may already be.

Who?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
The guys who aren't up here are worse. That's why they aren't here.

Then try someone like Daniel Webb and just stick him at the back end of the pen (like Nathan Jones to start last year) and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle and work his way into meaningful situations and gain the trust of the coaching staff.

The odds are pretty high it won't work and he would have to go back down to the minors...but those odds are probably better than seeing all the Jhan Marinezes, Purceys or Moskoses of the minor league system shuffle back and forth.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
That's a cop out de facto response. The people who aren't up here would walk people on 4 pitches?!?!?

Versus saying "call up whomever"? Are we ready for the return of Deuente Heath? Zach Stewart? Jeff Gray? Tony Pena Jr? Jhan Marinez? It is a triple A roster full of has-beens and never will be's.

I would like to see my relief pitchers not go 2-0 all the damn time. Or if they throw balls, they are at least close enough to the zone to make the hitter at least THINK about swinging at them, instead of worm-burners like my golf drives.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
This is just complaining to complain.

FARRRRR from it.

You honestly think the way he managed the pen yesterday was fine?

Running Omo FREAKIN grosso out there for TWO innings in a 1 run game? Letting him load the bases up before going to get him after he already allowed 2 guys aboard the previous inning. Then you have a guy in Lindstrom who has been getting ground balls consistently all season out of the pen who you could bring in when in that bases loaded situation, but instead you bring in a guy who throws one of the straightest fastballs in the game?

I am one who usually backs RV & tries to defend him when ppl get on him, but I couldn't believe what I was watching last night.

& to say it didn't matter the Sox only scored 2 runs.....really?....you knew they were only gonna score 2 runs in the 7th inning?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
Versus saying "call up whomever"? Are we ready for the return of Deuente Heath? Zach Stewart? Jeff Gray? Tony Pena Jr? Jhan Marinez? It is a triple A roster full of has-beens and never will be's.

Most of the real talent is in Birmingham and Winston-Salem as far as relief arms.

They probably are giving SOME consideration to Purcey and Moskos, simply because the asking price for quality left-handed relievers can be pretty prohibitive.