Vent Time

Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
FARRRRR from it.

You honestly think the way he managed the pen yesterday was fine?

Running Omo FREAKIN grosso out there for TWO innings in a 1 run game? Letting him load the bases up before going to get him after he already allowed 2 guys aboard the previous inning. Then you have a guy in Lindstrom who has been getting ground balls consistently all season out of the pen who you could bring in when in that bases loaded situation, but instead you bring in a guy who throws one of the straightest fastballs in the game?

I am one who usually backs RV & tries to defend him when ppl get on him, but I couldn't believe what I was watching last night.

& to say it didn't matter the Sox only scored 2 runs.....really?....you knew they were only gonna score 2 runs in the 7th inning?

Using Omogrosso for a 2nd inning was fine. Whatever. How about this concept: Score some runs and it won't matter. Buchholz was awesome last night. Tip the cap.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
I would like to see my relief pitchers not go 2-0 all the damn time. Or if they throw balls, they are at least close enough to the zone to make the hitter at least THINK about swinging at them, instead of worm-burners like my golf drives.

+1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Versus saying "call up whomever"? Are we ready for the return of Deuente Heath? Zach Stewart? Jeff Gray? Tony Pena Jr? Jhan Marinez? It is a triple A roster full of has-beens and never will be's.

We've already seen enough Heath but yeah, I'd be fine calling up the rest of them to see what they can do at this point. It's beyond pitiful the effort of some of the guys on this team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Buchholz was awesome last night. Tip the cap.

Yea other than the 1st inning he was pretty dominant.

Once he started getting that breaking ball over we just needed to get him out of the game ASAP :lol:

I was surprised when they brought him back out for the 7th after he threw 100+ in the first 6, but he still mowed em down 123.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
Yea other than the 1st inning he was pretty dominant.

Once he started getting that breaking ball over we just needed to get him out of the game ASAP :lol:

I was surprised when they brought him back out for the 7th after he threw 100+ in the first 6, but he still mowed em down 123.

He was left off the hook a few times. He walked a few batters and we just didn't capitalize. That third inning was a chance to do some damage. There were a couple of well hit balls that just were hit right at defenders or defenders made spectacular plays.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
He was left off the hook a few times. He walked a few batters and we just didn't capitalize. That third inning was a chance to do some damage. There were a couple of well hit balls that just were hit right at defenders or defenders made spectacular plays.

I gave Boston credit for adjusting outfielders to where our guys were hitting the balls. Several shots looked like they were tagged, just right to defenders.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Then try someone like Daniel Webb and just stick him at the back end of the pen (like Nathan Jones to start last year) and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle and work his way into meaningful situations and gain the trust of the coaching staff.

The odds are pretty high it won't work and he would have to go back down to the minors...but those odds are probably better than seeing all the Jhan Marinezes, Purceys or Moskoses of the minor league system shuffle back and forth.

Webb has barely pitched at AA. You call these guys up too early you can readily screw them up, they suddenly can't get outs and they start overthrowing the ball or tinkering with their mechanics.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
I was shocked after we made it through the 7th with Omogrosso that Jones wasn't there to start the 8th.

That was the most logical move.

If RV trusts Omogrosso more than Jones, we might as well send him down to Charlotte where he can pitch regularly in the 8th inning with a lead and get reacquainted with the idea of successfully setting up games for Reed to close out.

He's definitely not an ideal "long man" candidate...unless they send him to the very end of the bullpen and tell him to start throwing every pitch he used as a starter. Not sure how well that would work, as he's now programmed to think like a two-pitch pitcher and has ditched the curveball and change.

Did Nate do better? He has been struggling too. The last few games have been pretty hit and miss with the pen.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 23, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
I would like to see my relief pitchers not go 2-0 all the damn time. Or if they throw balls, they are at least close enough to the zone to make the hitter at least THINK about swinging at them, instead of worm-burners like my golf drives.

This is what is killing me too. Was Juan Nieves that much of an influence out there, because I don't get the Nate Jones regression at all. I seriously thought he would challenge Reed for the closer's role this year. At this rate, I don't see him lasting long if someone emerges in the minors. And that's a real shame because Nate showed so much promise last year. If nothing else, you had to think he was going to be the lights-out bridge to Reed.

I think Robin's going to have to start leaning harder on Lindstrom. As for LH relief...yikes.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
This is what is killing me too. Was Juan Nieves that much of an influence out there, because I don't get the Nate Jones regression at all. I seriously thought he would challenge Reed for the closer's role this year. At this rate, I don't see him lasting long if someone emerges in the minors. And that's a real shame because Nate showed so much promise last year. If nothing else, you had to think he was going to be the lights-out bridge to Reed.

I think Robin's going to have to start leaning harder on Lindstrom. As for LH relief...yikes.

Red flag was he was 26 before he showed anything.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)

I'm trying to think, and it's difficult to recall if I have ever agreed with anything you have ever posted aside from your wanting Alexei's contract gone. I agree there.

The age argument for pitchers is one of the dumbest arguments ever put forth, and every year pitchers prove it wrong. If you have the arm and you can learn how to throw strikes with it, then you can get MLB hitters out. Put away the graphs, take your head out of the sand, it's really not that hard to understand.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)

The White Sox started talking about Nate Jones about 4-5 years ago. He's always had a big arm, but needed refinement.

The red flag here is that he's a wild pitcher who probably needs some intense side sessions to get going and get back on track again.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
I'd rather see him get fixed. A FB that averages around 98? Why waste it in the minors. You saw what he could do last year.

Right. Relievers have up-and-down careers. This is baseball. Jones has a nice arm & has had success before. There's nothing flukey about what he throws up there. Why would any team in the Sox current position send down someone like Nate Jones when they do not absolutely have to?

Hawk always talks about pitchers that have great velocity but struggle because everything is hard, hard, hard (TWSS). Anyways, Jones would be wise to start using his curve or change-up again more to get some offspeed stuff in the mind of the hitters.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Hawk always talks about pitchers that have great velocity but struggle because everything is hard, hard, hard (TWSS). Anyways, Jones would be wise to start using his curve or change-up again more to get some offspeed stuff in the mind of the hitters.

Wasn't that the 2007 bullpen?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I'm trying to think, and it's difficult to recall if I have ever agreed with anything you have ever posted aside from your wanting Alexei's contract gone. I agree there.

The age argument for pitchers is one of the dumbest arguments ever put forth, and every year pitchers prove it wrong. If you have the arm and you can learn how to throw strikes with it, then you can get MLB hitters out. Put away the graphs, take your head out of the sand, it's really not that hard to understand.

MLB is littered with relievers who are one year wonders. If Nate Jones were anything more we would have see it before he was 26. He may have a 2-3 year run when he's 30, but do you want to keep him on the roster until then?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
MLB is littered with relievers who are one year wonders. If Nate Jones were anything more we would have see it before he was 26. He may have a 2-3 year run when he's 30, but do you want to keep him on the roster until then?

C'mon Marty...you're just throwing s*** against the wall at this point...the guy clearly has the stuff to be successful, he just needs to continue to refine it and make the appropriate mechanical tweaks. I don't think there are a whole lot of people here that are expert enough to determine when a young player who has succeeded before in this league is done or not. Jeesh, people within the game aren't even expert enough to make this determination much of the time.

For all we know, Cooper could spot one thing in a side session and have most of this solved...