5/25 Games

caulfield12

Johnson had runners on 1st and 2nd with just one out in the 7th and escaped without giving up a run.

Geez, not sure who is more of a disaster, Walker or Mitchell.

Walker's down in the 180's, 0/3 with a K and 5 LOB.

Semien has cooled off, too.

And somehow, Trayce Thompson always manages to put up decent RBI numbers despite his low BA.

Edited by caulfield12

a couple of things, is Webb on the fast track? I see he pitched 2 innings down at AA if our pen continues to struggle whats a realistic ETA?

Everything I've seen and read with regards to E. Johnson says he will be a #3 with a solid 4 pitch mix and mid 90s fastball, does anyone see more than that from him? what would be some real comps for him?

for May Trayce Thompson .296/.436/.423 - .859 OPS in 19 games with 16BB/19SO, is he finally turning those tools into skills and if continues to improve at this pace does he finish out the year at AAA with a cup of coffee in Chicago?

What are some player ceiling comps for Sieman and Micah Johnson? Lowrie and Eric Young Jr.?

QUOTE (beautox @ May 25, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
a couple of things, is Webb on the fast track? I see he pitched 2 innings down at AA if our pen continues to struggle whats a realistic ETA?

Everything I've seen and read with regards to E. Johnson says he will be a #3 with a solid 4 pitch mix and mid 90s fastball, does anyone see more than that from him? what would be some real comps for him?

for May Trayce Thompson .296/.436/.423 - .859 OPS in 19 games with 16BB/19SO, is he finally turning those tools into skills and if continues to improve at this pace does he finish out the year at AAA with a cup of coffee in Chicago?

What are some player ceiling comps for Sieman and Micah Johnson? Lowrie and Eric Young Jr.?

I don't think anyone in baseball is projecting Semien as a starter at this point, let alone utility guy in the bigs.

As far as Thompson, it would be great if he could take over CF...but imagine the worst of Brian Anderson offensively (with the pressure already on the O) and you'll get an idea of what would likely happen were he to be the starter in 2014. Defensively, he would be a big upgrade on DeAza, who would either be traded or moved to LF with Viciedo at 1B/DH.

Webb probably won't be an option until rosters expand...unless they trade Crain/Lindstrom/Jones (or send down Jones).

As for Johnson, Harrelson compared him with Koehler, the guy on the mound for the Marlins last night. Said Koehler's fastball is just a notch higher, so that means 92-93-94 out of Johnson, touching 95.

Definitely has a good shot at becoming a 3 if he can perfect that change-up he's working on.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 25, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
I don't think anyone in baseball is projecting Semien as a starter at this point, let alone utility guy in the bigs.

As far as Thompson, it would be great if he could take over CF...but imagine the worst of Brian Anderson offensively (with the pressure already on the O) and you'll get an idea of what would likely happen were he to be the starter in 2014. Defensively, he would be a big upgrade on DeAza, who would either be traded or moved to LF with Viciedo at 1B/DH.

Webb probably won't be an option until rosters expand...unless they trade Crain/Lindstrom/Jones (or send down Jones).

As for Johnson, Harrelson compared him with Koehler, the guy on the mound for the Marlins last night. Said Koehler's fastball is just a notch higher, so that means 92-93-94 out of Johnson, touching 95.

Definitely has a good shot at becoming a 3 if he can perfect that change-up he's working on.

I really don't know where you get some of this stuff, caufield.

Semien has been mentioned in national pubs as being just outside the top 100 or 150 prospects. He may or may not be a starter, that is still very debatable, but ..."let alone I utility guy in the bigs"? He may never make it, but I don't get your idea that he's not even a likely utility guy.

Again with Thompson... Are you just trying to look cool by talking guys down? Worst of BA offensively? Again, possible, but come on now, there is a ton of time between now and 2014.

Webb hasn't pitched more than a few games above A+, that's why he's not likely to be in Chicago this year, not roster space. If they think he's ready, which he's probably not, he will be up when they need him.

EJ's change has become his best pitch. I think his ceiling is a #2 at this point, but #3 is more likely. His FB is 92-93 ish, scrapes higher. Has the SL and CB as well, and has 2 fastballs. Hard to give a comp, better to say he's got good fastballs with control, strong CH, two other pitches and very good mound presence.

Micah is fast, but more importantly, is a smart base runner. But his key is all about OBP. This is a guy who could have been a top 5 rounds kick before an injury at IU. His defense needs work, but flashes brilliance. As long as he can keep up the OBP, and to lesser extents steals and AVG, he will get moved up and challenged.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)

Semien has been mentioned in national pubs as being just outside the top 100 or 150 prospects. He may or may not be a starter, that is still very debatable, but ..."let alone I utility guy in the bigs"? He may never make it, but I don't get your idea that he's not even a likely utility guy.

Again with Thompson... Are you just trying to look cool by talking guys down? Worst of BA offensively? Again, possible, but come on now, there is a ton of time between now and 2014.

Webb hasn't pitched more than a few games above A+, that's why he's not likely to be in Chicago this year, not roster space. If they think he's ready, which he's probably not, he will be up when they need him.

EJ's change has become his best pitch. I think his ceiling is a #2 at this point, but #3 is more likely. His FB is 92-93 ish, scrapes higher. Has the SL and CB as well, and has 2 fastballs. Hard to give a comp, better to say he's got good fastballs with control, strong CH, two other pitches and very good mound presence.

Micah is fast, but more importantly, is a smart base runner. But his key is all about OBP. This is a guy who could have been a top 5 rounds kick before an injury at IU. His defense needs work, but flashes brilliance. As long as he can keep up the OBP, and to lesser extents steals and AVG, he will get moved up and challenged.

Yeah I too have seen Semien mentioned in a across a number of different sources lately; Sox obviously like him a lot to have drafted him twice. I really like his discipline and I realize where the barons play tends to sap power and power is often the last tool to develop. I see the sox have had him splitting time between SS and 2B. Having said all that he is only 22 and if he progress at a normal rate he will be 24 when it might be time to call him up giving him a year and a half at AAA. Personally based off his draft position and his minor league performance to date, Mark Ellis strikes me as a comp and if he can develop into a top of the order hitter playing an average SS that would be a huge windfall for his organization. Sox have long needed competent hitters to work the count similar to Gillaspie.

Aside from a 100mph fastball what else does Webb feature?

Based off what you're saying with regards to EJ that sounds like James Shields to me, if his change up is that good and he tends to stick around 92-93mph with his fastballs.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 25, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
I still think Chone Figgins is a good comp for Micah Johnson

Thank you, jack pot scenario we get two comptent top of the order MI in Semien and Johnson that play to their comps on the south side.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)

It's like the Royals.

The only position player they've produced in the last 20+ years was Bo Jackson, and that's basically saying God developed him, not KC.

If/when there is actual production from our minor league position players, then I'll start to have some more confidence in them.

When I say Hector Santiago is Johan Santana Lite, that's scoffed at.

Of course, most of the people who follow the minors closely tend to get attached to their prospects and start seeing them through rose-colored glasses. It's human nature. Heck, maybe everyone does it...I know that I do it sometimes with Santiago and Viciedo, where in the process of defending them, you become unrealistic in assessing what their true abilities are...so I'd be glad to be wrong about any of the position players in our system, in the end.

But, like Thomas from the Bible, they'll have to prove it to me before I will accept it on faith.

We're comparing all these guys how might not even make it with major league starters/veterans who have had long careers....Lowrie, Mark Ellis, James Shields (who is an ace on many teams, or at least a strong #2 guy), Chone Figgins, Eric Young, Jr., etc.

Our entire minor league system hasn't produced that level of impact in the last six or seven years (looking at position players again). Sure, we can compare Mitchell to Carl Crawford, and Hawkins to one of about 10-15 budding superstars, but that doesn't mean anything to opposing scouts and GM's.

You said the comparison of Thompson to Brian Anderson was insulting, yet Anderson had a lot more hype and expectations placed on him when he was drafted than Trayce has ever had...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)
It's like the Royals.

The only position player they've produced in the last 20+ years was Bo Jackson, and that's basically saying God developed him, not KC.

If/when there is actual production from our minor league position players, then I'll start to have some more confidence in them.

When I say Hector Santiago is Johan Santana Lite, that's scoffed at.

Of course, most of the people who follow the minors closely tend to get attached to their prospects and start seeing them through rose-colored glasses. It's human nature. Heck, maybe everyone does it...I know that I do it sometimes with Santiago and Viciedo, where in the process of defending them, you become unrealistic in assessing what their true abilities are...so I'd be glad to be wrong about any of the position players in our system, in the end.

But, like Thomas from the Bible, they'll have to prove it to me before I will accept it on faith.

We're comparing all these guys how might not even make it with major league starters/veterans who have had long careers....Lowrie, Mark Ellis, James Shields (who is an ace on many teams, or at least a strong #2 guy), Chone Figgins, Eric Young, Jr., etc.

Our entire minor league system hasn't produced that level of impact in the last six or seven years (looking at position players again). Sure, we can compare Mitchell to Carl Crawford, and Hawkins to one of about 10-15 budding superstars, but that doesn't mean anything to opposing scouts and GM's.

You said the comparison of Thompson to Brian Anderson was insulting, yet Anderson had a lot more hype and expectations placed on him when he was drafted than Trayce has ever had...

I didn't scoff at that notion at all, Santiago compares very favorably to both Santana and Liriano when you sit down and actually look at it

As far as a wait and see approach again i think thats very fair but personally i just want a quick book mark to refer to what their potential could be, wether they reach that will come in time. Sox have been very good at developing pitching, maybe the tide will turn with the likes of Semien, Johnson and Thompson. I'm sure everyone on this board realizes that if you can get one major league regular from a draft class you're doing well.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 26, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)
I didn't scoff at that notion at all, Santiago compares very favorably to both Santana and Liriano when you sit down and actually look at it

As far as a wait and see approach again i think thats very fair but personally i just want a quick book mark to refer to what their potential could be, wether they reach that will come in time. Sox have been very good at developing pitching, maybe the tide will turn with the likes of Semien, Johnson and Thompson. I'm sure everyone on this board realizes that if you can get one major league regular from a draft class you're doing well.

No, I wasn't referring to you...well, it doesn't matter, it's the nature of scouting to make comparisons.

As for Daniel Webb, it would be interesting if we could get some confirmation from other sources (for example, radar readings outside of BIRM)...I have a hard time believing he's hitting 100 MPH, but we'll see.

You hear that high 90's heat mentioned so much today, you take it almost with a grain of salt...like a sub 4.40 forty time.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 26, 2013 -> 12:58 AM)
I think Sale has that day on lock. ;)

Yeah, I should have probably inserted roster in there. I just think Erik Johnson will be on the club next year coming out spring training. Most of our top SP prospects spend very little time at AAA and Johnson has been absolutely fantastic this year. 3rd in the Southern League in ERA & K's, but most importantly 1st in WHIP. Again, this is all conditional on him keeping this up, but if he does, Hahn should try to find him a spot in next year's rotation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2013 -> 04:02 AM)
No, I wasn't referring to you...well, it doesn't matter, it's the nature of scouting to make comparisons.

As for Daniel Webb, it would be interesting if we could get some confirmation from other sources (for example, radar readings outside of BIRM)...I have a hard time believing he's hitting 100 MPH, but we'll see.

You hear that high 90's heat mentioned so much today, you take it almost with a grain of salt...like a sub 4.40 forty time.

I know of at least two people who have seen it in person, and I've seen people from the org say it. He's solidly high 90's and hits 100 on occasion.