Sox vs Cubs game thread May 27, 2013

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 27, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Jeff S has a 3.25 ERA but a 2-6 record. That's pretty sad.

Don't forget that he's been pitching in Wrigley-early-spring conditions, not Wrigley-summer conditions.

Don't forget that he's been pitching in Wrigley-early-spring conditions, not Wrigley-summer conditions.

Doesn't matter what the conditions, if you have that ERA combined with that record, your offense really, really sucks.

Jesse Crain extended his scoreless outings streak to 20 games. Paul Konerko is hitting .563 (9-for-16) over his four-game hitting streak. Jeff Keppinger had his seven-game hitting streak snapped Sunday. Since returning from the disabled list May 10, Dayan Viciedo is hitting .392 with three doubles, two homers, eight RBIs and 10 runs scored. Flowers will probably be in the lineup today.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 27, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
Jesse Crain extended his scoreless outings streak to 20 games. Paul Konerko is hitting .563 (9-for-16) over his four-game hitting streak. Jeff Keppinger had his seven-game hitting streak snapped Sunday. Since returning from the disabled list May 10, Dayan Viciedo is hitting .392 with three doubles, two homers, eight RBIs and 10 runs scored. Flowers will probably be in the lineup today.

I would hope they'd start Gimenez again. They've been winning with him starting and he's been playing better than Flowers.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 27, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
I would hope they'd start Gimenez again. They've been winning with him starting and he's been playing better than Flowers.

Me too ,but I read where Ventura said Flowers should be back in the lineup today. Smardzija is RH so maybe Hector does get the start but I think Ventura views Flowers as his starting catcher. I don't think Flowers matches up well with Smardzija.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 27, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Me too ,but I read where Ventura said Flowers should be back in the lineup today. Smardzija is RH so maybe Hector does get the start but I think Ventura views Flowers as his starting catcher. I don't think Flowers matches up well with Smardzija.

At least until around the trade deadline, we're going to give Flowers his shot to develop. This is what you have to do to develop youth sometimes; give them the time to struggle. We'll see where we are in July. If he's still .200 and below, then we'll see what's available.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 27, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)

They said in the Trib that Flowers has been dealing with back spasms.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
At least until around the trade deadline, we're going to give Flowers his shot to develop. This is what you have to do to develop youth sometimes; give them the time to struggle. We'll see where we are in July. If he's still .200 and below, then we'll see what's available.

I'm more of the mindset that you play match ups . Use Flowers to pinch hit occasionally . Sox need hitting and want to win now so let Flowers prove himself in a part time role or Gimenez for that matter. I just want the team to score some runs and move runners along. I think Gimenez if a better option now to win. I don't think developing Flowers should be that high on the priority list since the Sox seem to be strong in the minors at that position.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 27, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm more of the mindset that you play match ups . Use Flowers to pinch hit occasionally . Sox need hitting and want to win now so let Flowers prove himself in a part time role or Gimenez for that matter. I just want the team to score some runs and move runners along. I think Gimenez if a better option now to win. I don't think developing Flowers should be that high on the priority list since the Sox seem to be strong in the minors at that position.

Coming into this season, we'd all have agreed that we're incredibly weak in the minors at the catcher's spot, and 2 hot months from Phegley doesn't change that.

Letting guys struggle for months is what you have to do to develop people. Sometimes years. If you do it for too many positions, you become the Royals.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Coming into this season, we'd all have agreed that we're incredibly weak in the minors at the catcher's spot, and 2 hot months from Phegley doesn't change that.

Letting guys struggle for months is what you have to do to develop people. Sometimes years. If you do it for too many positions, you become the Royals.

I believe it does change that , and we're still in win now mode, which is the main point any way. Tyler's had 2 months to show what he's got now Gimenez deserves his chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)

What has Tyler Flowers shown in all the years he's been in the minors and for the time that he has been in the majors that keeping him up to struggle is going to change anything? Other than maybe his average as it gets lower and lower.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ May 27, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
What has Tyler Flowers shown in all the years he's been in the minors and for the time that he has been in the majors that keeping him up to struggle is going to change anything? Other than maybe his average as it gets lower and lower.

In the minors? He struggled for a year at AAA in 2010 trying to get his stroke correct as people were messing with it, settled down, and had a much more quality 2011.

This is exactly why it sucks trying to develop guys. The norm for guys coming up from AAA is that a year, maybe 2, is necessary before you know what you have. A guy who is a successful backup then struggles for a year upon getting the starting job...that's exactly what should happen, regardless of the age. That's the norm. That's what you should expect. and still 50% of the time or so it doesn't work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
In the minors? He struggled for a year at AAA in 2010 trying to get his stroke correct as people were messing with it, settled down, and had a much more quality 2011.

This is exactly why it sucks trying to develop guys. The norm for guys coming up from AAA is that a year, maybe 2, is necessary before you know what you have. A guy who is a successful backup then struggles for a year upon getting the starting job...that's exactly what should happen, regardless of the age. That's the norm. That's what you should expect. and still 50% of the time or so it doesn't work.

See here's the problem. We suffer when he is up there swinging away at the plate which is a norm for him(something he has had trouble with in the minors and in the pros). Its only a matter of time before they replace him. There is absolutely nothing that I've seen so far that says lets continue this a little longer because he's about to turn the corner.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)

It doesn't suck to develop prospects . I'm all for it if the rest of the lineup can handle it but thus far it can't. Plus he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire defensively either. Since the pitching staff is doing well I'll give him credit for calling a good game but it's not something I can say with 100% conviction. Sox need the most production they can get now from every position.

I agree with the above. So what position to we trade for though. If people believe that Gillaspie is the answer at 3B then I feel like we really need to add some power somewhere.

Power hitting outfielder? Makes sense but good luck trying to find a power hitting CFer cuz I don't think Tank or Rios are going anywhere soon. Same with Beckham, Alexei and maybe Conor. That leaves 1B and Catcher. 1B is a logjam of old s*** right now so that really just leaves catcher.

It looks like a position guy has to go along with the starter we trade here.