Batavia teacher in trouble .....

juddling

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I hope that teacher prevails. No way you answer something like that truthfully, with your NAME ON IT. "We just need to know so we can help." Yeah, heard that before.

What do you think would have happened if they answered truthfully?

QUOTE (G&T @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:36 PM)
What do you think would have happened if they answered truthfully?

Well if they answered positively for drug use, I can see many unasked for visits to a councilor, letters home to parents, locker checks and so on. Once they have info that you do drugs, they would HAVE to do something to avoid any liability should use share drugs with a fellow student and something bad happens.

The survey was not a diagnostic tool, but a "screener" to figure out which students might need specific help, Newkirk said.........School officials have already reviewed the surveys and have talked to some students about their answers.
Translate: Let's see if the trouble makers and problem kids will self-identify so we can 'fix' them now.

That is a complete invasion of privacy. I have no problems with anonymous surveys to find out drug use amongst students, but using the information to essentially weed out the bad apples is not the way to do it. At that point you may as well just check every single locker and all persons for drugs, booze, needles, knives, and guns.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
That is a complete invasion of privacy. I have no problems with anonymous surveys to find out drug use amongst students, but using the information to essentially weed out the bad apples is not the way to do it. At that point you may as well just check every single locker and all persons for drugs, booze, needles, knives, and guns.

I'm pretty sure my high school did that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I'm pretty sure my high school did that.

Not sure if they went person to person, but they definitely went in and out of lockers, especially with drug dogs. Honestly, I have no problem when they do that as, while this is more invasive, it's also less discriminatory (meaning not discriminatory at all).

Superintendent Jack Barshinger said teacher support for doing a survey grew after several suicides by students in recent years. Students and staff typically said they had no idea those teens were in distress.

This certainly makes it sound like the school had good intentions. I wonder if there is any way to give the kids immunity from prosecution and from school discipline in order to encourage 100% truthfulness.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Not sure if they went person to person, but they definitely went in and out of lockers, especially with drug dogs. Honestly, I have no problem when they do that as, while this is more invasive, it's also less discriminatory (meaning not discriminatory at all).

When I was in Jr high I always heard people talking about it but I never actually saw them do it.

In HS the lockers were all condensed into one area right next to our lunch room rather than spread through the halls of the school. So they could've easily searched the lockers there. Again, I heard about it but never saw it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
When I was in Jr high I always heard people talking about it but I never actually saw them do it.

In HS the lockers were all condensed into one area right next to our lunch room rather than spread through the halls of the school. So they could've easily searched the lockers there. Again, I heard about it but never saw it.

I never saw them in the process of doing it, but I saw dogs multiple times both in middle and high school. Teachers were also aware of when these things were going to happen because they had to deny kids leaving the room during those time frames.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
I can't believe the school actually thought this was a good idea in the first place.

Remember this is a district that has experienced a much higher than normal suicide rate. Determining which students may have a propensity towards harming themselves is a worthy goal. Unfortunately, the tip offs are self destructive behaviors that not many would want to admit.

Thinking about it a bit, if someone is looking for help, they might just admit it on a school required form. The school administration probably also know that many students will not incriminate themselves, but some may. Therefor, a teacher discouraging, or making it cool to resist, doesn't help that part of the process.

This reminds me a bit about a seminar I went to on bombs in buildings. The ATF agent recommended if we received a bomb threat to ask where was the bombm what did it look like, when will it explode, etc. When we laughed he pointed out that the caller called to warn us and it is possible they truly do want to prevent a tragedy. Counterintuitive I know, but it has played out that way.

We have both targeted and random searches. As soon as students know the dog is on campus they suddenly have to go to the bathroom. I suggested we just wait in the bathroom and nail them there.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 29, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Remember this is a district that has experienced a much higher than normal suicide rate. Determining which students may have a propensity towards harming themselves is a worthy goal. Unfortunately, the tip offs are self destructive behaviors that not many would want to admit.

Thinking about it a bit, if someone is looking for help, they might just admit it on a school required form. The school administration probably also know that many students will not incriminate themselves, but some may. Therefor, a teacher discouraging, or making it cool to resist, doesn't help that part of the process.

This reminds me a bit about a seminar I went to on bombs in buildings. The ATF agent recommended if we received a bomb threat to ask where was the bombm what did it look like, when will it explode, etc. When we laughed he pointed out that the caller called to warn us and it is possible they truly do want to prevent a tragedy. Counterintuitive I know, but it has played out that way.

I just don't see how the possibility that one or two students might for some reason admit it on a form with their name on it (which I still find difficult to believe) is worth driving the rest of the activity further underground because those students don't want to incriminate themselves.

But the dumbest part about all this was the lack of warning they gave teachers. Apparently they sent something home to students, but the teachers were not alerted? Responding to concerns about self-incrimination seems like an obvious thing to think about when implementing this survey.

I don't see it driving anything further underground. It is a longshot, but there are people that call for help. Some need a nudge in that direction. This could be that nudge. And remember you are trying to help maybe 5 or 6 students in the entire district that may be contemplating suicide. It isn't like dozens killed themselves.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some decent science behind it.