f*** the Cubs official game thread 5/30/13

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
looks good.. would have liked to see Wells in for De Aza.. altho as long as Dunn is not in the lineup I am happy

It would be nice to see Wells get a shot against LHP. He has done pretty well against them in the past, and it's not as if De Aza and Dunn are rolling.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
It would be nice to see Wells get a shot against LHP. He has done pretty well against them in the past, and it's not as if De Aza and Dunn are rolling.

Oh they're rolling...steadily downhill.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
I have no idea why Travis Wood has had so much success this year. He just keeps batters off the bases and gets contacts out.

Fastball sits at 88-90, change up is lagging and slider/cutter is average.

Because

1) He's stranding 5% more runners than he generally has at any point in his career

2) Only 6% of the flyballs he allows are leaving the ballpark (compared to 8.6% for his career and the typical league average of 10%)

3) He's getting more ground balls (which is an indication of a maturing pitcher and is a factor in him improving)

4) His LD% is down by 5% from previous years (which is likely not sustainable)

5) His BABIP is an absurdly low .211 (the league average is .292 and has been the 4 years he's been in the majors).

Your primary areas of regression within these numbers are your LD% and your BABIP. As teams make adjustments, those numbers will start creeping towards league and career averages, and that ERA of like 1.03 will start to normalize.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
I'd go with this:

DeAza 8

Ramirez 6

Rios 9

Viciedo 7

Konerko 3

Flowers 2

Peavy 1

Gillaspie 5

Keppinger 4

Is there some Beautiful Mind logic to having Peavy bat 7th? Or Flowers anywhere but 8th?

Ventura said lineup changes in the near future are not out of the question. He seemed receptive to the idea of making Alexei leadoff hitter and moving ADA down. I assume that would open up the 2 spot for Conor

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 30, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Is there some Beautiful Mind logic to having Peavy bat 7th? Or Flowers anywhere but 8th?

My ultimate lineup for the Sox

De Aza - CF

Ramirez - SS

Viciedo - LF

Gillaspie - 3B

Konerko - 1B

Dunn - DH

Rios - RF

Flowers - C

Keppinger - 2B

this is better known as the "Tommy Tutone Lineup"

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 30, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
wow

The 2005 White Sox were 13-44 when they gave up 5 or more runs. Typically, when you have a weak offense and a strong pitching staff, you are going to lose a lot of games where you give up a lot of runs. These sorts of results shouldn't be surprising.

Perhaps a good sign is that the 2013 White Sox are actually outpacing the 2005 White Sox in percentage of games allowing 5 or more runs, if barely (35.2% to 34%).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Wow.

No Flavum numerical projections on what we have to do to run down the Tigers, haha.

Guess he's past the denial stage on this year's Sox squad.

Yeah, there will be no Road to 89 Wins this year. Tigers are still getting to 93-95, maybe higher.

Sox just don't have the bats this year. Hopefully they make smart moves going forward.