f*** the Cubs official game thread 5/30/13

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 30, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
I would say it's a dumb argument. Who cares? Both team's seasons end on September 29.

I would agree it's a dumb argument, but I can't stand posters who only come to PHT when the team sucks in order to drop some stupid, holier than thou comment like "I'm a realist and the Cubs are clearly the more talented teams because ".

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
I would agree it's a dumb argument, but I can't stand posters who only come to PHT when the team sucks in order to drop some stupid, holier than thou comment like "I'm a realist and the Cubs are clearly the more talented teams because ".

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone say the Cubs were more talented THIS year?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone say the Cubs were more talented THIS year?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
The Cubs are simply a better and more talented team than the White Sox - the White Sox just happen to not be in a division with the Cardinals so they get to tease the silly idiots who think they have a chance a little bit longer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 30, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
Neither team has much positional talent, Sox have a HUGE edge on the pitching side.

Do you disagree?

Yes, it's definitely not a huge edge with Gavin out and Danks not close to being 100%. I don't think Wood will continue to pitch at the insane level that he has, but Edwin Jackson is not as bad as he's pitched this year. Both teams have had very good starting pitching so far this year, but both teams saw their pitching fall apart during the 2nd half last season. It will be interesting to see which of the pitchers in Chicago take the next step to become strong finishers to the season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 30, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
I enjoy distancing myself from Soxtalk for awhile and then returning and reading through posts by the same members (often year to year) who cannot seem to recognize a White Sox team for what it is. I don't know if immersing yourself in every pitch of every game and then coming on here to discuss it every day removes you objectivity, but it's troubling in some cases. This is not a well constructed ballclub. They will not be winning in the playoffs.

I'm guessing that, to some degree, this post is directed at me.

I do not believe this team will reach the playoffs, and, as currently constructed, I think they are barely a .500 team. The offense lacks any sort of dynamic "playmakers" if you will that most teams have, there's a lot of average talent, and there are a ton of players that go to the plate with terrible approaches. I don't know if that's a coaching staff thing or a bad player thing or both, but it's disturbing. It's been this way for a number of years now through coaching and regime changes and still seemingly the White Sox have only had a competent offense once in the last 9 years. The seemingly lack of direction towards the future is distressing as well.

The bullpen is worrisome as well. It's an area that can be fixed quickly with good trades, shrewd waiver pick up, and ballsy signings, and not by spending $19 million on Scott Linebrink. That is something that likely won't happen this year, though there's time. That said, there's not a ton of talent, aside from Reed, Crain, and Jones (who, while struggling, still has very good stuff) in either the majors or AAA. As I mentioned earlier, I like Jhan Marinez, but he's struggled this year too. I liked Gregory Infante and Sean Tracey too, so guys that impress me out of the pen don't exactly have a good track record.

The rotation is awesome, and there's great depth there. I've suggested trading Axelrod to the Brewers for some relievers (which I'd still do right now without hesitation), but he's piece that can be traded for a reliever or two, and the Sox have other guys who may be converted to relief that could work (in AAA, specifically Castro and Rienzo, but there are obviously others too).

This team as currently constructed I believe is a long ways away from competing, but I don't think it's as far as most people want to believe. You need 3-4 guys who can put up an OPS in the .775+ range, with 1-2 of those in the .850+ range. The rest need to be atleast at .675 or above, and you want your OBP to be atleast .325 as a team. If they could get that, they'd start winning a lot more games.

There are going to be options this offseason to fill some of those holes that will be expensive. It's better to fill those holes cheaply than to spend too much money on it...and that's what she said.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
Yes, it's definitely not a huge edge with Gavin out and Danks not close to being 100%. I don't think Wood will continue to pitch at the insane level that he has, but Edwin Jackson is not as bad as he's pitched this year. Both teams have had very good starting pitching so far this year, but both teams saw their pitching fall apart during the 2nd half last season. It will be interesting to see which of the pitchers in Chicago take the next step to become strong finishers to the season.

Let me ask you this, would you swap pitching staffs with the Cubs right now? Answer this question with the assumption that you can set the rotation however you like, you don't necessarily have to go with either team's current 5 starters.

I think the big disagreement we'll have is on Travis Wood. You think he's way more talented than I do. I see a guy pitching way above his talent level and who is ready for some serious regression, especially when the weather starts getting warm on a consistent basis.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 30, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
The offense lacks any sort of dynamic "playmakers" if you will that most teams have, there's a lot of average talent, and there are a ton of players that go to the plate with terrible approaches.

So, so true.

Not that anyone will read this, but...

Robin Ventura declined an extension after his current year expired. I bet he'll get replaced as they turn over the team. Konerko, Dunn and Rios' contracts (2 of the 3 are bad) are going to expire soon. The Cubs are in better shape as far as the minor leagues are concerned, but that doesn't mean the Sox will not continue to improve. They will find someone to replace Konerko, Dunn and Rios and will have their day again. A few good drafts, Cuban signings and good talent and the White Sox will match the Cubs in three years. I am as pissed as the next White Sox fan that they sucked this week, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully as they turn the team over, they keep payroll along the same levels and fill in the inadequacies of the organization. In Rick "better than KW" I trust.

This week, the Cubs were the better team in Chicago. The overall records will dictate who will be better by the end of the year. Props to wsf for his post.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

At this point, anything's better than Omogrosso.

Try Marinez, Simon Castro, Rienzo....it really doesn't matter, maybe one of those 3 can actually stick for next year at the back of the pen.

And send Santiago to start every day in Charlotte if you're only going to use him as the mop-up man.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 30, 2013 -> 07:17 PM)
Now there's something to look forward to. Three years to match the Cubs? I can hardly wait! :P

In terms of depth, yes. The Cubs could be solid in three years or they could be garbage. But with depth it makes sense. And I did see your emoticon. :P

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
His inability to hit RHP well is very concerning.

I think a good pitcher is laughing when Viciedo comes to the plate. My feeling is he's an easy out except for the occasions he runs into a pitch.