Conor Gillaspie is not a good player

Steve9347

Every year it's the same thing with the Soxtalk Meatheads, yes the SOXTALK MEATHEADS, I have defined you. You adopt some crap player on the roster and act like he's better than he really is or is finally figuring it out or just needs more time. We're not even including players like Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo that you SOXTALK MEATHEADS refuse to see for what they are.

Conor Gillaspie is the latest in a long line of scrubs who got a couple hits and you SOXTALK MEATHEADS adorned our great solution. Now there's a thread in which people discuss claiming another turd Juan Francisco and "the one thing we don't need is a solid hitting lefty 3B". Yeah, because that's Conor Gillaspie. jack.gif

Listen, this is baseball. Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

Oh, his OPS for the month of May is .672.

Moving forward, when I read something silly about a garbage player wearing the pale hose that is ridiculous, I will be replying to the poster declaring them to be a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

You've been warned.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
I'll do that in another thread. This thread is for the hilarity that is SOXTALK MEATHEADS falling in love with Gillaspie over a few hits.

Like you and Jimmy Butler. I agree if Gillaspie is considered a building block, that's just crazy at this point, but he has done pretty well up until now. Why don't you let him suck before you declare he sucks? Just saying a guy sucks when he hasn't is probably a more accurate trait of a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

Edited by Dick Allen

Gillaspie certainly isn't a guy that should be hitting in the middle of your order, but he can take a walk, hits line drives and plays good defense at a tough position. Gillaspie has been worth 1 WAR this year, Richar was in the negatives. I think the jury is still clearly out on him, but a 25-year-old 3B giving you a 1.0 WAR through 1/3 of a season do not grow on trees. Plus, he was a high draft pick and produced in the minors. There is definite reason for optimism with him. And this is coming from a pessimist. Personally, I think he could be a nice #2 hitter. He is not a guy that is going to win you a Championship, but he is a guy that won't hurt you especially if you have solid pieces around him.

EDIT: I looked at his minor league stats and they were nothing special. So scratch that prior production point.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Conor Gillaspie is fine. He is a platoon guy though. He should never play vs. LHP. Luckily, he won't have to for much longer. Beckham goes back to 2B and the Sox can play Keppinger at 3rd vs LHP and Gillaspie at 3B vs RHP. That probably gets you at least an .750 ops from your 3B platoon the rest of the year.

Of all the people on the team deserving to get ripped, you decide to rip Conor Gillaspie. One of the few guys on this team thats actually doing a good job. Sure he might be playing over his skill level, but it's not like it's been a week or two. We are two full months into the season and he hasn't regressed all that much. This is a completely pointless thread and makes me wonder who the real meathead is.

Do I personally think that Gillaspie is a core building block? no. Do I see the potential in him to be a 2-2.5WAR player? yes. Is that something to get excited about? IMHO yes the sox haven't had a lot of recent success in developing bats in the minors recently and the fact that they got him for a song is huge.

As for the comment about other organizations not discarding talent

Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

thats laughable i'll give you three examples ranging from good to amazing, 1.) Matt Thornton 2.) Joakim Soria 3.) Josh Hamilton. Guys getting released or picked up off the rule 5 draft and having an impact all of a sudden happen all the time, Jack Cust comes to mind as well.

Thank God that we still have another team in town to watch for now that doesn't blow. HAWKS MEATHEAD.

That said, is there anybody--anybody--on this team where you can look at them and say: yeah, that guy is awesome?

This thread is quality. A thread and post yelling at SoxTalk "MEATHEADS", while screaming an whining like a MEATHEAD without making any factual argument or even providing correct information. He was traded, not released... and he was blocked by a kinda good 3B in case you didn't notice.

Gillaspie isn't great, but he's an improvement over what the Sox have had at 3B in recent years. He is so not a major problem on this team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
This thread is quality. A thread and post yelling at SoxTalk "MEATHEADS", while screaming an whining like a MEATHEAD without making any factual argument or even providing correct information. He was traded, not released... and he was blocked by a kinda good 3B in case you didn't notice.

Gillaspie isn't great, but he's an improvement over what the Sox have had at 3B in recent years. He is so not a major problem on this team.

I love irony.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
Every year it's the same thing with the Soxtalk Meatheads, yes the SOXTALK MEATHEADS, I have defined you. You adopt some crap player on the roster and act like he's better than he really is or is finally figuring it out or just needs more time. We're not even including players like Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo that you SOXTALK MEATHEADS refuse to see for what they are.

Conor Gillaspie is the latest in a long line of scrubs who got a couple hits and you SOXTALK MEATHEADS adorned our great solution. Now there's a thread in which people discuss claiming another turd Juan Francisco and "the one thing we don't need is a solid hitting lefty 3B". Yeah, because that's Conor Gillaspie. jack.gif

Listen, this is baseball. Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

Oh, his OPS for the month of May is .672.

Moving forward, when I read something silly about a garbage player wearing the pale hose that is ridiculous, I will be replying to the poster declaring them to be a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

You've been warned.

Gillaspie is a one-time first round draft pick that got knocked around a bit and was on the verge of busting. He's 25 years old, which is a perfectly reasonable age to start breaking out into the Major Leagues. Also, he's looking exactly like the player people projected when he was drafted except with better defense. There's a lot of reason to believe that he's just one-year late on his development path. He was available because SF was not going to bench Sandoval to give him a chance.

He's not worse than f***ing Luis Valbuena.

Someone is crabby today. I can't even take this thread seriously because of the title alone. And then the mass insult, calling anyone who likes Conor Gillaspie a Meathead. But, no one should take anything Steve says personally. As I said, he seems a bit crabby today.

However, is Conor Gillaspie awesome? No. Does he suck? Absolutely not. The guy was TRADED for to fill an important spot as a left-handed hitting bench player. He has gotten a chance to play everyday due to injury. And he's done a pretty good job playing everyday. A .283 BA with 7 doubles, 1 triple, and 3 homeruns is not the definition of sucking. Oh, and he plays pretty good defense.

Maybe there's a little extra love being thrown his way simply because the Sox haven't had a guy like this playing third base in quite a while. He's a pleasant surprise. If he continues to get a chance to play regularly for the rest of the season, he could still be a .260+ hitter with 10-15 HRs. I'll take that along with his good defense.

Of all the problems this team has, Conor Gillaspie is not one of them. He's really one of the last offensive players I'd worry about.

Conor Gillaspie doesn't suck. The only thing that sucks here is this thread.