Conor Gillaspie is not a good player

Steve9347

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conor Gillaspie was never a bust or even close to it. He had played about 25 games in MLB, many as a pinch hitter, before coming to the White Sox. He always posted fine numbers in the minor leagues. A system that is meant to save players like Conor that are stuck behind somebody forced the Giants to move him if they weren't willing to play him, that's all. The jury's completely out on him at this point.

He looks fine. Conor looks exactly what he looks like: a guy who will post a .750 OPS, have good, consistent ABs, and play good defense. He may dip below .750 here and there and he may rise to around .800-.825 if he gets hot.

He's a good talent, it can't surprise anyone that he looks like he belongs in his first look at this level. He's also not an elite talent, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that he doesn't look like the next Robin Ventura.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Hawk says he's the next Craig Nettles and that he has the quickest left-handed stroke in the AL.

Said it so many times he got a sore throat.

If Hawk said it, it must be so.

I heard that too. But, every young player who gets a hit for the Sox, or is doing good at the minor league level, is going to be a great one according to Hawk :wub:

QUOTE (SoIL @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Yes Gillaspie was traded for, not released. Hard to take someone yelling MEATHEADS seriously when they don't know or bother to look up the facts. Certainly is funny though.

This is the same poster who yesterday said the only reason the rest of us meatheads didn't realize the Cubs were way better than the Sox was because they are in a division with the Cardinals. This would imply that the Cubs have the played the Cardinals a lot this season. Upon five seconds of research, I determined the Cubs have played the Cardinals TWICE all year.

Unfortunately for the original poster, facts aren't a meathead's best friend.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
This is the same poster who yesterday said the only reason the rest of us meatheads didn't realize the Cubs were way better than the Sox was because they are in a division with the Cardinals. This would imply that the Cubs have the played the Cardinals a lot this season. Upon five seconds of research, I determined the Cubs have played the Cardinals TWICE all year.

You don't have to play the 1st place team to be buried by the first place team. The Cardinals are 35-18. The Pirates are 34-20. The Reds are 33-21. No team in the AL Central has 30 wins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
Oh, and I was feeling a bit devilish and wanted to play the role of troll this morning with regards to Gillaspie. That said, the Cubs are on par with the White Sox in terms of Major League talent.

I don't buy this for a moment. Despite this sweep, the Cubs are playing IMO about right where they should be, while the White Sox are vastly below where they should be and look like a bunch of unfocused fools who forgot to do fielding practice in the spring.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't buy this for a moment. Despite this sweep, the Cubs are playing IMO about right where they should be, while the White Sox are vastly below where they should be and look like a bunch of unfocused fools who forgot to do fielding practice in the spring.

Cubs have a +6 run differential, and the Sox are -29. I think the talent is close and probably can be argued either way.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
Cubs have a +6 run differential, and the Sox are -29. I think the talent is close and probably can be argued either way.

Just to note this again, the Sox have given up 19 unearned runs in the first 2 months of this year after giving up 30 unearned runs all of last year.

And of course, as is always noted, that doesn't count the inability to hit the cutoff man.

Cubs are getting absurd, and fully unsustainable, production hitting-wise from their pitchers right now. They also have 1-2 SP's pitching, IMO, way over their heads. They aren't an over .500 team, and they will descend further in the near future.

But, despite the vapid nature of the original post... the currently-underachieving Sox, if they don't start hitting like they should (and playing defense), are probably only a slightly better team than the Cubs. So he's not too far off in that overall sense.

I have a hard time believing the defensive woes continue, considering the team is almost the same as last year's top-defense squad with an improvement at 3B. And I don't see Dunn, De Aza and some of the other key hitters continuing to be THIS bad. Regression to the mean should help the Sox in those areas.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
You don't have to play the 1st place team to be buried by the first place team. The Cardinals are 35-18. The Pirates are 34-20. The Reds are 33-21. No team in the AL Central has 30 wins.

The Cubs would be in last or second-to-last in any division in MLB.

I can't imagine their placement in the standings would cloud anyone's judgement of how good/bad they are.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
The Cubs would be in last or second-to-last in any division in MLB.

I can't imagine their placement in the standings would cloud anyone's judgement of how good/bad they are.

I think you're missing the point - I'm not trying to say that the Cubs are good by saying they're better than the Sox. I'm trying to point out how God awful the White Sox are. The Cubs suck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Every year it's the same thing with the Soxtalk Meatheads, yes the SOXTALK MEATHEADS, I have defined you. You adopt some crap player on the roster and act like he's better than he really is or is finally figuring it out or just needs more time. We're not even including players like Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo that you SOXTALK MEATHEADS refuse to see for what they are.

Conor Gillaspie is the latest in a long line of scrubs who got a couple hits and you SOXTALK MEATHEADS adorned our great solution. Now there's a thread in which people discuss claiming another turd Juan Francisco and "the one thing we don't need is a solid hitting lefty 3B". Yeah, because that's Conor Gillaspie. jack.gif

Listen, this is baseball. Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

Oh, his OPS for the month of May is .672.

Moving forward, when I read something silly about a garbage player wearing the pale hose that is ridiculous, I will be replying to the poster declaring them to be a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

You've been warned.

ROFLMAO

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
Every year it's the same thing with the Soxtalk Meatheads, yes the SOXTALK MEATHEADS, I have defined you. You adopt some crap player on the roster and act like he's better than he really is or is finally figuring it out or just needs more time. We're not even including players like Gordon Beckham and Dayan Viciedo that you SOXTALK MEATHEADS refuse to see for what they are.

Conor Gillaspie is the latest in a long line of scrubs who got a couple hits and you SOXTALK MEATHEADS adorned our great solution. Now there's a thread in which people discuss claiming another turd Juan Francisco and "the one thing we don't need is a solid hitting lefty 3B". Yeah, because that's Conor Gillaspie. jack.gif

Listen, this is baseball. Very rarely does a player like Gillaspie get released and all the sudden figure it out with a new ballclub. Conor Gillaspie is the 2013 Danny Richar. You will realize he sucks balls soon enough.

Oh, his OPS for the month of May is .672.

Moving forward, when I read something silly about a garbage player wearing the pale hose that is ridiculous, I will be replying to the poster declaring them to be a SOXTALK MEATHEAD.

You've been warned.

He has been fine, what more you want from the guy.

And Dayan has been disappointing defensively, and had a terrible series against the Cubs.

That doesn't mean he sucks, or will suck, or isn't probably the most important hitter remaining in our franchise, whether some like it or not.

If he's not a consistent .265-.285, 30+ HR, 90+ RBI guy in LF/1B/DH for the next five years, the offensive hole we're trying to crawl out from just might be insurmountable before at least 2015.

We all need to remember if a prospect ain't Mike Trout from day one then he will always suck. Young players simply don't improve over time, especially not ones that are already 25 years old. Gillaspie should probably hang up his cleats now before he continues embarrassing himself and all us SoxTalk meatheads.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
We all need to remember if a prospect ain't Mike Trout from day one then he will always suck. Young players simply don't improve over time, especially not ones that are already 25 years old. Gillaspie should probably hang up his cleats now before he continues embarrassing himself and all us SoxTalk meatheads.

Even Bryce Harper struggled for long stretches of 2012...and he was the most hyped hitting prospect since Alex Rodriguez or Ken Griffey, Jr.

I think Gillaspie is a major leaguer. He has a pretty decent stroke. I don't think he's anything special. He's been good this year and doesn't deserve scorn of any kind for his contributions with the Sox.