Conor Gillaspie is not a good player

Steve9347

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
His OPS will be in the .600s shortly. Much like the bulk of our God awful roster.

Not if he plays against RHP only like he should be Steve. He could put up an .800 ops in a platoon facing only RH's. I am hoping with Beckham back, Keppinger faces LHP, Gillaspie faces RHP.

His OPS will be in the .600s shortly. Much like the bulk of our God awful roster.

You're probably right but at least he has a decent approach (short and quick) and can take some walks. I feel like he hits a bunch of balls at guys. He'll end up as apiece of toiletfish just like the rest or them.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
Sometimes those are the types that turn into good players, no hype and all of the sudden something clicks. I think he sould be hitting in the 2 hole right now

Most of the time, when a position player is drafted, the physical tools & skillset that has people thinking he is a world-beater carries through all the way to the Major Leagues. The only differences are meaningless "projections" people attach to those tools/skillset packages which are (at draft time) so often perfect world scenarios. Maybe the power doesn't come the way someone "projected" or maybe he can't cut his swing down as much as someone "projected" but the difference between a top prospect at a young age in the low minors & a "disappointment" of an MLB player who is garnering time on the field is the actual ability to play baseball at the highest level possible, and a substantial progression has had to occur for that to happen. Gillaspie has, actually, developed, not fallen off or busted out, and the fact that he is here & proving he deserves the playing time is an awesome happening for an organization which going into Spring was counting on some combo of a healthy Brent Morel and a veteran UT player as a 2-3 year "solution" to the 3rd base problem.

What's your point with all this? We all acknowledge that we're over-enamored with him now because of how bad the rest of the roster is, but he's still like one of the only non-disasters in the entire lineup. So when someone suggests we claim Juan f***ing Francisco and someone else says, "The last thing we need is a left-handed third baseman," that is a correct statement! Juan Francisco blows! Claiming a guy like that would be a total desperation hail mary to replace the only guy we have that's earning a starting spot right now.

Congrats, Steve, you're somehow managing to be more negative than everyone else.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Congrats, Steve, you're somehow managing to be more negative than everyone else.

The moment Jake Peavy and Alex Rios are traded, I'll be happier. That will show me there is a plan.

They should also DFA Adam Dunn to save me anger.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Conor Gillaspie not a good player? Seems ok to me.

Two things - 1. Ok does not mean good, 2. The original thread title was "Conor Gillaspie sucks", and it should still say that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
The moment Jake Peavy and Alex Rios are traded, I'll be happier. That will show me there is a plan.

They should also DFA Adam Dunn to save me anger.

I'm with you on this. I wish they'd accept losing with dignity come the end of this month (hopefully there's no random 5 game winning streak thrown in) dangle Peavy and Rios. You have two trading chips, Hahn -- now build our future.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
A third baseman with a career slugging percentage of .370? That's brilliant. Great plan.

Take it to 'em, Steve.

I'll give Steve credit, his thread has brought out some of the worst and/or most negative posters in SoxTalk history from the dead.

Honestly, I've heard Score post-game callers provide more insight than this garbage. Quoting a player's "career" slugging percentage two months into their first full year in the majors just about sums up the quality of this meathead post.

BTW, shouldn't you be sucking off Thesus on some Cubs message board right about now?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:26 AM)
I'll give Steve credit, his thread has brought out some of the worst and/or most negative posters in SoxTalk history from the dead.

Honestly, I've heard Score post-game callers provide more insight than this garbage. Quoting a player's "career" slugging percentage two months into their first full year in the majors just about sums up the quality of this meathead post.

BTW, shouldn't you be sucking off Thesus on some Cubs message board right about now?

Oops, I thought he played a good amount of games with the Giants. Damn, so he's a 26 year old rookie? Wow.

And that Cubs comment sounds like a personal attack. I like it. The lack of personal attacks around these parts is why I only check in once or twice a month.

Cubs got Bryant. What did the Sox get? More weak hitters, correct?

You're gonna be switching over to the dark side come 2015 just like the rest of us, so suck on that. Word.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
That's adorable. I'll bet you're one of those dudes at the game chanting PAULIE! PAULIE! while he puts up a career WAR of 26. Couldn't even get close to Kent Hrbek.

I bet you're one of those dudes that was waiting for the DRose "comeback" this year while he sat on the bench and played cheerleader all playoffs. That was sweet. Paulie was a part of and played a huge role in a Chicago team winning a championship. How many Chicago athletes can you say that about in the past 15 years outside of the Hawks?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Jesus, that didn't take long.

He's hitting .253 with a .687 OPS and falling. Congratulations, Soxtalkdom, you fell in love with 2013 Danny Richar.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)

He's hitting .253 with a .687 OPS and falling. Congratulations, Soxtalkdom, you fell in love with 2013 Danny Richar.

This post would not exist if a ball was hit 2 inches farther.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Conor Gillaspie is not the first person to hit a ball to the fence and have it caught.

Nor is he the first person to have a poster decide to jump to conclusions based on a very small data set.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
Oops, I thought he played a good amount of games with the Giants. Damn, so he's a 26 year old rookie? Wow.

And that Cubs comment sounds like a personal attack. I like it. The lack of personal attacks around these parts is why I only check in once or twice a month.

Cubs got Bryant. What did the Sox get? More weak hitters, correct?

You're gonna be switching over to the dark side come 2015 just like the rest of us, so suck on that. Word.

The Cubs may have gotten a better player with the 2nd pick over the Sox 17th pick? Genius! How do they do it?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)

What is your agenda here? Look at his splits against RHP and get back to me. I don't think the majority of people fell in love with Conor Gillaspie. He should play 3B vs RHP like I have stated (And you have ignored) and never play vs LHP. The platoon combo of Keppinger/Gillaspie should get you an .ops of over .800. Seems like you just want to come in here and criticize people. Get a f***ing hobby man.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
What is your agenda here? Look at his splits against RHP and get back to me. I don't think the majority of people fell in love with Conor Gillaspie. He should play 3B vs RHP like I have stated (And you have ignored) and never play vs LHP. The platoon combo of Keppinger/Gillaspie should get you an .ops of over .800. Seems like you just want to come in here and criticize people. Get a f***ing hobby man.

It's a .742 ops vs RHP by the way. Not great but a better player than you are spouting off about.