Conor Gillaspie is not a good player

Steve9347

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
Might be just me, but he looks like he has improved over the last 2-3 months. Cannot point to any stat to back this up.

He's in a big time slump with the bat right now, seemingly popping everything up even when he gets a good swing on a good pitch. That's probably some combination of timing and mechanics, but that happens to players all the time. The only thing you can really do is play the guy and see how long it takes him to work through it.

He had an absolutely stellar game with the glove yesterday to make up for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:39 AM)
He's in a big time slump with the bat right now, seemingly popping everything up even when he gets a good swing on a good pitch. That's probably some combination of timing and mechanics, but that happens to players all the time. The only thing you can really do is play the guy and see how long it takes him to work through it.

He had an absolutely stellar game with the glove yesterday to make up for it.

Especially rookies and young players. Who knows maybe he will improve with more MLB experience. It has happened once or twice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Nor is he the first person to have a poster decide to jump to conclusions based on a very small data set.

This whole website jumped to a lot of conclusions based on a very small data set. I am simply refuting them and being proven correct with every pasing 0-fer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
This whole website jumped to a lot of conclusions based on a very small data set. I am simply refuting them and being proven correct with every pasing 0-fer.

What was your opinion of Robin Ventura after 225 PAs?

Nobody thought Conor Gillaspie was going to be the cornerstone of the franchise.

It's simply that the team has been so miserable to watch for most of this season, he was one of the few pleasant surprises.

There was always a pretty high probability he would struggle or be overexposed, especially against LHP. That was a given, and why any sane/rational baseball analyst would conclude platooning him with Keppinger was the best solution to get productivity out of 3B.

If Morel was playing, we'd probably be 11-13-15 games under .500 right now.

His struggles aren't to be celebrated. It just means one more hole to fill, but he was never likely to be the long-term solution in the first place.

We'll just have to wait and see how he rebounds from this slump, what adjustments he makes....it could go either way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Nobody thought Conor Gillaspie was going to be the cornerstone of the franchise.

It's simply that the team has been so miserable to watch for most of this season, he was one of the few pleasant surprises.

There was always a pretty high probability he would struggle or be overexposed, especially against LHP. That was a given, and why any sane/rational baseball analyst would conclude platooning him with Keppinger was the best solution to get productivity out of 3B.

If Morel was playing, we'd probably be 11-13-15 games under .500 right now.

His struggles aren't to be celebrated. It just means one more hole to fill, but he was never likely to be the long-term solution in the first place.

We'll just have to wait and see how he rebounds from this slump, what adjustments he makes....it could go either way.

Morel at AAA this year: .277/.375/.440/.815

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Point of reference, Youk has a .694 OPS.

$12 million for a .694 OPS.

We wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of a good rant/rave.

Youkilis was too high a risk at his age, and with his recent history of injury problems. The Yankees can afford to take on risks like that, we simply cannot have too many contracts in that range blow up in our faces.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
Do you really believe he'd put up at least a 700 OPS in Chicago?

Fully healthy and given time to get his game back together (rather than benched randomly the next day after every time he did anything useful)? Maybe.

His numbers look like those of a guy in the minors who missed a lot of time and is slowly getting back into the groove. .226 average in April, .296 May, .323 June so far.

Honestly I'd put their ceilings (Morel and Gillaspie) at right about the same place. They are very similar players. 20 homer power tops. Solid defenders. Decent average hitters (.300 top, more like .270/.280 normally) when they are looking for hits instead of homers. Most productive in the 7/8 slots in a batting order.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Honestly I'd put their ceilings (Morel and Gillaspie) at right about the same place. They are very similar players. 20 homer power tops. Solid defenders. Decent average hitters (.300 top, more like .270/.280 normally) when they are looking for hits instead of homers. Most productive in the 7/8 slots in a batting order.

If Morel could get his act together and Beckham could keep hitting like he is right now, Gillaspie/Morel, Alexei (or other), Beckham, and Keppinger (UT) could cover the IF roster fairly affordably for the next 2 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
If Morel could get his act together and Beckham could keep hitting like he is right now, Gillaspie/Morel, Alexei (or other), Beckham, and Keppinger (UT) could cover the IF roster fairly affordably for the next 2 years.

Puts a lot of pressure on the corners to remain above-average run producers, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)

computer-close-hulk.gif

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Yes steve, "If guys could keep doing what they're doing right now" is so offensive you can't even look at the screen.

It's f***ing stupid. It's a dumb f***ing post. Morel is a terrible ballplayer and not an option for the White Sox, and Beckham has proven time and again to be completely useless with the bat.

Hey, if Adam Dunn can just go 4-for-4 every night, our DH situation is set too!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
It's f***ing stupid. It's a dumb f***ing post. Morel is a terrible ballplayer and not an option for the White Sox, and Beckham has proven time and again to be completely useless with the bat.

Hey, if Adam Dunn can just go 4-for-4 every night, our DH situation is set too!

I'm willing to give Beckham the remainder of the year. It's cherry picking, but he was "good" (.744 OPS, .744 OPS, .792 OPS) in 3 months last year, decent (.678 OPS) in 1 month last year, and awful (.434, .501) in 2 months last year. He's a serviceable player who is obviously talented, and in a small amount of time this year, he's hit.

Morel seems like his ceiling is about a .260/.320/.380 guy. Maybe a lefty platoon guy, but he needs to add versatility to his game to succeed in the majors.

We're grasping at straws though, you know? Like Morel sucks, really. SO if he hits his ceiling he;ll be a serviceable backup on a mediocre team? I think we've already forgotten what it feels like to have a real offense. I mean just watching the Blue Jays this series -- like Bautista and Encarnacion are f***ing LEGIT bats. They are a threat to homer and double constantly. You just trust them to do it, and they do it. We've had those types of guys a lot, we just don't right now. We have Zombie Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn. We're a team right now where our "hero" in a win can be Dylan Axelrod or Connor Gillaspie solely for the reason that occasionally people do exceptional things in baseball. Success is the exception rather than the norm for nearly all of our guys. The resulting compromise between our brains and our hearts is projecting a ceiling that looks like that line you just typed for Morel.

Morel is going to have to prove a lot to get another call-up if I'm in charge. He and Gillaspie probably do have similar ceilings, but Gillaspie hasn't had a ton of MLB ABs like Morel. Morel didn't look good in the MLB, short of part of one month. There isn't a spot for him for now and I just don't see one opening up.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
We're grasping at straws though, you know? Like Morel sucks, really. SO if he hits his ceiling he;ll be a serviceable backup on a mediocre team? I think we've already forgotten what it feels like to have a real offense. I mean just watching the Blue Jays this series -- like Bautista and Encarnacion are f***ing LEGIT bats. They are a threat to homer and double constantly. You just trust them to do it, and they do it. We've had those types of guys a lot, we just don't right now. We have Zombie Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn. We're a team right now where our "hero" in a win can be Dylan Axelrod or Connor Gillaspie solely for the reason that occasionally people do exceptional things in baseball. Success is the exception rather than the norm for nearly all of our guys. The resulting compromise between our brains and our hearts is projecting a ceiling that looks like that line you just typed for Morel.

I agree, which is why I'm hoping for some sort of minor rebuild, just not a full implosion. There's talent in the minors that can come up and be useful hitters, but the only impact bat in the minors is 19 and still striking out 30% of the time. There's a need to try to find GOOD, young hitters throughout the minors, which is why trading guys like Crain and Peavy could be so important, especially with all the young pitching the Sox have.

Assuming they don't have some semi-miraculous turn around and they remain in this s***ty position, the first three guys I look to move are Peavy, Thornton, and Crain. Then I look to move one of De Aza and Rios (if De Aza, Danks assumes CF; if Rios, De Aza flips to LF, Viciedo to RF, and Danks to CF). At that point, you try and get out of deadweight contracts like Dunn, Konerko, or Keppinger and see what you have in some of your minor league guys. Then, in the offseason, I'd throw everything I could at Granderson and McCann and sign a stopgap 1Bman - Morales, Napoli, or Morse would be good gets. This team just needs an infusion of talent offensively, and getting new players in here might be a nice spark - it's apparently worked for the Red Sox.

It's still a far cry from the 2000 or 2006 White Sox, but it's a start at least.