White Sox vs Cubs analysis

Steve9347

OK HERE.

Can we all agree that the Cubs have a MUCH better minor league system?

• MinorLeagueBall.com - Cubs 11, White Sox 28
  • Baseball Prospectus - Cubs 12, White Sox 28
  • Keith Law - Cubs 5, White Sox 28

Ok, now that that's settled, let's talk Major League Roster

CATCHER - Tyler Flowers vs Welington Castillo. Both of these players are nothing to write home about, but Castillo over 104 games has a .270 average with a .730 OPS, and is better than Flowers defensively. Flowers is struggling to hit .200 and has an OPS of .625.

EDGE CUBS

FIRST BASE - Paul Konerko vs Anthony Rizzo. This one needs no discusssion - huge win Cubs.

WIN CUBS

SECOND BASE - Gordon Beckham vs Darwin Barney. One player is injured and bad, the other is just bad. Diving into the statistics, these players are surprisingly similar. Beckham's superb glove gives him the edge, and we won't count the massive failed expectations against him.

SLIGHT EDGE WHITE SOX

SHORT STOP - Alexei Ramirez is enjoying a nice bounceback year from his dreadful 2012, but no one in their right minds takes him over the Cubs struggling young stud Starlin Castro.

WIN CUBS

THIRD BASE - TWTW Conor Gillaspie vs Luis Valbuena. Valbuena had as many jacks over the past two weeks as Gillaspie has in his career.

EDGE CUBS

LEFT FIELD - Dayan Viciedo vs Alfonso Soriano. As much as I want to give the edge to Soriano, it's slightly in the White Sox' favor on the weeks Viciedo bangs the walks fairy. That being said, it's quite incriminating that this is so close. Whatever.

EDGE WHITE SOX

CENTER FIELD - David DeJesus vs Alenjadro De Aza. The battle of the random capitalization, De Aza's career season is worse than DeJesus's career average. This year 100 OPS points splits them.

WIN CUBS

RIGHT FIELD - Alex Rios vs Nate Schierholtz. Schierholtz is actually having a fine season and the stats are closer than you'd expect, but Rios is pretty studly and somehow consistent now.

WIN WHITE SOX

DESIGNATED HITTER - The White Sox are paying big money to a laughingstock, while the Cubs do not have Adam Dunn.

MASSIVE WIN CUBS

ROTATION - Samardzija, Jackson, Feldman, Wood, Garza vs Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Axelrod, Danks. This is way closer than it should be, but only because the Cubs have a lot of surprises here. I still take the White Sox rotation easily with Sale and Peavy at the top, while both teams have massive question marks in well-paid starters Garza and Danks. Interestingly enough, if I were to pick a rotation based on the players available, 3/5 WOULD be Cubs. Crazy. That rotation would be Sale, Samardzija, Peavy, Jackson, Wood.

EDGE WHITE SOX

BULLPEN - The White Sox have an easy edge here, with a franchise closer in Addison Reed and plenty of support. I won't even bother dealing with the Cubs' bullpen given their closer is Kevin Gregg.

WIN WHITE SOX

So let's tally things up here. Sadly, the Cubs only get 1 point for their massive advantage in the minor leagues, but they still win easy.

Cubs 7, WHITE SOX 5

Shut up, SS2k5 :P

Edited by Steve9347

What's funny about this way of looking at things is that in order to make sure that the Cubs come off as on top, it counts "The entire f***ing starting rotation" as worth the same amount as a position the Cubs only use in a small percent of their games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
What's funny about this way of looking at things is that in order to make sure that the Cubs come off as on top, it counts "The entire f***ing starting rotation" as worth the same amount as a position the Cubs only use in a small percent of their games.

Not to mention the minor league system used when the original discussion was more talent now.

I actually would take Barney over Beckham. Similar offensively and actually I disagree about Beckham being better defensively. Barney is widely recognized as the best at his position defensively. His 4.7 WAR last year is way better than anything Beckham has done.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
I actually would take Barney over Beckham. Similar offensively and actually I disagree about Beckham being better defensively. Barney is widely recognized as the best at his position defensively. His 4.7 WAR last year is way better than anything Beckham has done.

Too many years of Hawks' TWTW incepting my brain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)

Yeah - but I awarded it to the White Sox even though if I built a rotation from the starters on the roster 3/5's would be Cubs.

IT'S CALLED READING DO IT

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
Yeah - but I awarded it to the White Sox even though if I built a rotation from the starters on the roster 3/5's would be Cubs.

IT'S CALLED READING DO IT

I see. So Edwin Jackson's terrible numbers don't get counted against him because after all it's just 2 months, but Travis Wood's great numbers count for him because after all...2 months rule!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
THIRD BASE - TWTW Conor Gillaspie vs Luis Valbuena. Valbuena had as many jacks over the past two weeks as Gillaspie has in his career.

EDGE CUBS

Valbuena career SLG%: .356

Gillaspie career SLG%: .385

But two weeks is more important than 1000 previous career ABs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
ROTATION - Samardzija, Jackson, Feldman, Wood, Garza vs Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Axelrod, Danks. This is way closer than it should be, but only because the Cubs have a lot of surprises here. I still take the White Sox rotation easily with Sale and Peavy at the top, while both teams have massive question marks in well-paid starters Garza and Danks. Interestingly enough, if I were to pick a rotation based on the players available, 3/5 WOULD be Cubs. Crazy. That rotation would be Sale, Samardzija, Peavy, Jackson, Wood.

mj-laughing.gif

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
I see. So Edwin Jackson's terrible numbers don't get counted against him because after all it's just 2 months, but Travis Wood's great numbers count for him because after all...2 months rule!

Travis Wood is 2013 for Randy Wells

Gordon Beckham gets the defensive edge over reigning Gold Glove and Fielding Bible award winner Darwin "One Error" Barney? The Darwin Barney fresh off a +14 UZR season that both SABR and "scouting" guys agree is an elite defensive second baseman?

NOTE: While I think 2B and 3B are ridiculous, I agree completely with your opinion on the rotations. Not sure why everyone is laughing at that.

SECOND NOTE: I would also say that the bullpen probably qualifies as a MASSIVE WIN. The Cubs bullpen is an absolute laughingstock, and their only decent RP just got shut down for Tommy John.

Edited by Eminor3rd

My analysis is that we got our butts whipped. Now this team needs to move on and do something about it on the field. I like steve's posts but it still kind of amazes me of the analysis on some of our players. Beckham is bad? The guy is probbaly the best fielding secondbaseman in the league and can handle the bat. It just seems that if our folks don't hit .400 with 75 homers they get no love from our own fans

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
My analysis is that we got our butts whipped. Now this team needs to move on and do something about it on the field. I like steve's posts but it still kind of amazes me of the analysis on some of our players. Beckham is bad? The guy is probbaly the best fielding secondbaseman in the league and can handle the bat. It just seems that if our folks don't hit .400 with 75 homers they get no love from our own fans

I don't understand this misperception. Beckham is really nothing special. Since 2010, his WARs are: 0.4, 1.0, 0.3 and 0.1 (this year). You can find Gordon Beckham in any farm system basically. His defense is also overrated, primarily because of Hawk's blabbering. Defensively, he is solid but not spectacular. Beckham gets no love because he isn't that good and as a first-round pick, he has basically been a bust.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't understand this misperception. Beckham is really nothing special. Since 2010, his WARs are: 0.4, 1.0, 0.3 and 0.1 (this year). You can find Gordon Beckham in any farm system basically. His defense is also overrated, primarily because of Hawk's blabbering. Beckham gets no love because he isn't that good and as a first-round pick, he has basically been a bust.

Yeah, cherry-picking seems to go only one way around here. Beckham had one good month after three bad years and is the savior, but Connor Gillaspie is bad because he has a .600 May OPS. WTF?

I really can't comment on all this because I am a MEATHEAD. The Sox are my team I look at them as objectively as I can. I hope they do well and if not I hope they can make the necessary moves to get better as quickly as possible. I believe in retooling rather than rebuilding. That is all. If someone can put the Sox logo on my avatar i would appreciate it just pm me.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 31, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Yeah, cherry-picking seems to go only one way around here. Beckham had one good month after three bad years and is the savior, but Connor Gillaspie is bad because he has a .600 May OPS. WTF?

I hope you aren't suggesting that I ever inferred that Gordon Beckham is the savior. I was the first to turn on that bust.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
I hope you aren't suggesting that I ever inferred that Gordon Beckham is the savior. I was the first to turn on that bust.

Being the first guy on a message board to declare someone sucks is really quite an accomplishment. Congratulations. I'm sure your family is very proud.