6/3 - The Return of the Bacon Slayer

Quin

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
He's just awful, but have to hope he learns how to pitch as a control pitcher. Looking like one of the worst contract extensions in Sox history.

Do you think his velocity is never coming back? I mean, yeah he's going to suck without his regular stuff (like he has tonight), but is there reason to expect him to never return to his old self? Not arguing, just trying to understand. You're pretty scaring the s*** out of me right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
The concern with Danks and this style is his command has never been great. He was effectively wild with his fastball up in the zone when he was on.

The thing is, other than Sale's start...the White Sox shouldn't be favored in any of their next 5 games after this one.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Do you think his velocity is never coming back? I mean, yeah he's going to suck without his regular stuff (like he has tonight), but is there reason to expect him to never return to his old self? Not arguing, just trying to understand. You're pretty scaring the s*** out of me right now.

History is not on his side...the odds are probably less than 50% he's ever the same pitcher as before.

PTAC would have a lot better insight than anyone about what he's going through right now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:11 AM)

Isn't the success rate for pitchers regaining their velocity after shoulder surgery pretty terrible? Johan never came close to gaining his velocity back, IIRC.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
Caulfield, I should have never doubted you ;)

When teams are on this kind of streak....you kind of expect something to go wrong.

From the quotes in the papers, it seems the players are all feeling the same way, unfortunately.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:13 AM)
Danks needs to be back in Charlotte. At least to get that change up down

At this point, you might as well let him stay up here and take his lumps and hopefully learn how to retire MLB hitters with his new stuff.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:14 AM)
When teams are on this kind of streak....you kind of expect something to go wrong.

From the quotes in the papers, it seems the players are all feeling the same way, unfortunately.

Don't worry, they'll have meetings

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
Isn't the success rate for pitchers regaining their velocity after shoulder surgery pretty terrible? Johan never came close to gaining his velocity back, IIRC.

The better question is what pitcher has ever come back from rotator cuff/labrum/shoulder surgery and been better or even the same as before?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
I supported the move when it was made. Unfortunately, locking up starting pitching is extremely risky.

Yep. It was a perfectly defensible extension. Pitchers get injured. It happens.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
At this point, you might as well let him stay up here and take his lumps and hopefully learn how to retire MLB hitters with his new stuff.

Then they better send Santiago down to Charlotte, because making him the last reliever in the bullpen of an 85-90 loss team is unfathomably bad management of an asset.

It's pretty clear we can't expect him to have good enough control coming out of the bullpen either...especially in single inning stints in pressure situations.

History shows he needs to settle in over 2-3-4 innings to get his control.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
Then they better send Santiago down to Charlotte, because making him the last reliever in a bullpen of an 85-90 loss team is unfathomably bad management of an asset.

In an article on chicagosports.com, Santiago said he game planned to throw change-ups to Reddick in that AB that led to the bases loaded walkoff walk, but he ended up throwing outside fastballs. Seems like he was throwing Gimenez under the bus.