Prospects of the Month - May

NorthSideSox72

Gotta bring up Phegley by D-Day. Send Flowers down.

We have to get some legitimate hitting prospects, major league ready players, and trading value will be a lot higher in June-July than in off season (Peavy, Reed). If Hahn does not do something by end of July, I'll be surprised and disappointed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
Gotta bring up Phegley by D-Day. Send Flowers down.

We have to get some legitimate hitting prospects, major league ready players, and trading value will be a lot higher in June-July than in off season (Peavy, Reed). If Hahn does not do something by end of July, I'll be surprised and disappointed.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Addison Reed right now unless some team way overpays for him (and no one will). That's silly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
It's not highly likely.

But to say no one will, that's hard to believe, either.

It's hard for me to believe that a team in contention at the deadline would be willing to overpay enough for a young closer with zero playoff experience that the White Sox would deem him and his contract expendable. Other than maybe the Orioles, I can't think of a team that might be in contention and also be in need of an upgrade at closer.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
It's hard for me to believe that a team in contention at the deadline would be willing to overpay enough for a young closer with zero playoff experience that the White Sox would deem him and his contract expendable. Other than maybe the Orioles, I can't think of a team that might be in contention and also be in need of an upgrade at closer.

Hate to say it...but Detroit?

Anyway...yeah, it's not likely a team would meet the price for Reed...but I'd be open to listening on him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)

Never say never when it comes to relievers. Players get injured, teams get nervous, and they suddenly open the bank for any "proven" reliever. There have been plenty questionable trades in the past for bullpen guys.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Never say never when it comes to relievers. Players get injured, teams get nervous, and they suddenly open the bank for any "proven" reliever. There have been plenty questionable trades in the past for bullpen guys.

The trick with "Winning" a trade for a bullpen guy is to get a the team to give back a really talented piece, perhaps someone they've underestimated because they're a few years away. Multiple pieces from the low minors can be really effective.

You can't win that kind of deal if you target a major-league ready prospect, because the team would rather just bring the prospect up than get the reliever.

To be clear, I'm not against trading Reed. Relievers are more easily replaced than any other position. But given how young he is and how cheap he currently is, I'd demand a ransom for him from a team in contention right now. And I don't think any team will be willing to meet that price. If Baltimore comes to us in July and needs a closer and is willing to give up someone like Schoop then you pull the trigger. Otherwise you keep him around as part of the core of your rebuilding team.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
To be clear, I'm not against trading Reed. Relievers are more easily replaced than any other position. But given how young he is and how cheap he currently is, I'd demand a ransom for him from a team in contention right now. And I don't think any team will be willing to meet that price. If Baltimore comes to us in July and needs a closer and is willing to give up someone like Schoop then you pull the trigger. Otherwise you keep him around as part of the core of your rebuilding team.

I'd say it might depend on what the org thinks of Daniel Webb.

They've got a kid sitting at AA throwing triple digits. If they felt willing to be aggressive with him, they might well move Reed this year to give him a shot.

For precedent on this setup, see: Sergio Santos being traded.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)

Yeah, you pretty much only move Reed this season if someone is offering something crazy stupid for him.

Otherwise, you focus on selling Crain as one of the premium relievers in baseball and Thornton as a "quality" left-handed setup man. You definitely don't want to cannabalize your own market and those two guys must go if we start selling off pieces.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
I'd say it might depend on what the org thinks of Daniel Webb.

They've got a kid sitting at AA throwing triple digits. If they felt willing to be aggressive with him, they might well move Reed this year to give him a shot.

For precedent on this setup, see: Sergio Santos being traded.

Well, we traded Santos when he was 28. Reed is 4 years younger. So I don't think we can exactly compare the two.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
Except Santos was locked up cheap and long term, and Reed isn't. So maybe only a little more.

Reed is under our control for the next 3-4 years. And considering years 5 and 6 of Santos' deal were in the $8-9M per year range, I don't think that makes much of a difference, if any.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
Except Santos was locked up cheap and long term, and Reed isn't. So maybe only a little more.

The reason we should get a lot more if we were to move Reed than we did when Santos was moved was that we didn't get nearly enough for Santos.