College World Series Thread

Chisoxfn

Regionals will be over at the end of the day and super regionals next weekend. Saw a gem on Saturday (Which featured a husky running out to the field). Fullerton will host UCLA who knocked Fullerton out in the super regionals back in 2010. Fullerton's pitching was sick, 2 runs in 3 games. If you haven't seen their closer, Lorenzen (who is also their centerfielder), you should watch him...the slider/slurve he throws is just filthy (especially when compared to his upper 90's fastball).

Anyway...not sure why no college baseball thread..but as a Titan fan and big college baseball fan I needed to post something.

My alma mater, Indiana University, reached their first super regional in the team's history this year. The Hoosiers will be in Tallahassee, and I think they have a very good chance to make it to Omaha. Aaron Slegers, a 7-foot tall pitcher and B1G pitcher of the year (who will probably be drafted on Friday as well) will most likely start off the super regional.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
My alma mater, Indiana University, reached their first super regional in the team's history this year. The Hoosiers will be in Tallahassee, and I think they have a very good chance to make it to Omaha. Aaron Slegers, a 7-foot tall pitcher and B1G pitcher of the year (who will probably be drafted on Friday as well) will most likely start off the super regional.

Won't be surprised if he stays next year. Indiana should be very, very good next year again.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)

My alma mater had him beat in Game 1 of the regional until Valpo's closer blew a 3-run lead in the bottom of the 9th. Very impressed with how far Valpo's program has come since I played there in early 2000's. To knock Florida out of the tournament and then lose two 1-run games to the #13 team in the nation (IU) and another team that was very hot coming into the tourney (Austin Peay) is very impressive for a small-Midwest program.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
My alma mater had him beat in Game 1 of the regional until Valpo's closer blew a 3-run lead in the bottom of the 9th. Very impressed with how far Valpo's program has come since I played there in early 2000's. To knock Florida out of the tournament and then lose two 1-run games to the #13 team in the nation (IU) and another team that was very hot coming into the tourney (Austin Peay) is very impressive for a small-Midwest program.

Valpo definitely had a tough loss against IU in game one. Their starter was very good, but Kowalczyk was overthrowing his sliders. Not really terribly surprised that they blew it, but having Clark hit the walk off homer was eye opening.

To be fair, Austin Peay, even with their 16-game winning streak coming into the regional, wasn't that good. They had zero chance in both games against IU.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Won't be surprised if he stays next year. Indiana should be very, very good next year again.

Slegers will probably go in the first five rounds, so I'm thinking he's gone. DeNato will probably come back, and Coursen-Carr had a very impressive freshman campaign. It's really weird thinking IU will actually be good at baseball again next year.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Valpo definitely had a tough loss against IU in game one. Their starter was very good, but Kowalczyk was overthrowing his sliders. Not really terribly surprised that they blew it, but having Clark hit the walk off homer was eye opening.

To be fair, Austin Peay, even with their 16-game winning streak coming into the regional, wasn't that good. They had zero chance in both games against IU.

I wasn't at the game but I read the same thing about the hanging sliders. Still, when a guy only gives up one run all season in something like 25 innings, you certainly don't expect him to blow a 3 run lead. As far as Peay, yes they certainly weren't a powerhouse but they did have an RPI of 39 heading into the tourney which is very respectable. They also had the longest active win streak in the nation (D1) heading into the tourney so they were a hot team. IU was simply more talented and obviously had no problem generating some offense against their pitching.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
Slegers will probably go in the first five rounds, so I'm thinking he's gone. DeNato will probably come back, and Coursen-Carr had a very impressive freshman campaign. It's really weird thinking IU will actually be good at baseball again next year.

Yup. Stoked for this weekend. I know we're underdogs, but it wouldn't be a huge shocker to pull it off.

Coursen-Carr has looked damn good. I'd be really surprised if DeNato and DeMuth don't come back, and mildly surprised if Slegers does. I thought Slegers was in the 5-8 round range.

Edited by farmteam

My alma mater Vandy is the #2 national seed (finished #1 in BA rankings) and will face Louisville in the super. I was able to watch probably 60% of their games this year thanks to cbssports college subscription online. Tons of top arms on the staff in Ziomek (probable 2nd rounder) and Beede (former 1st rounder) paired with just nasty fresh/soph combo in the pen of Carson Fullmer/Brian miller. Pitching depth is crazy good too. Back to back top recruiting classes have made us a powerhouse. Lineup is well balanced with just about everyone hitting near .300 with obps in high .300s to .400s. If there's one weakness it's the lack of true top power bats

For those who want to watch amongst the most exciting players in the game watch our lead off hitter tony kemp. He's 5'7" but was SEC player of year and hit .400. One of those classic college players who puts pressure on the defense all game.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
My alma mater Vandy is the #2 national seed (finished #1 in BA rankings) and will face Louisville in the super. I was able to watch probably 60% of their games this year thanks to cbssports college subscription online. Tons of top arms on the staff in Ziomek (probable 2nd rounder) and Beede (former 1st rounder) paired with just nasty fresh/soph combo in the pen of Carson Fullmer/Brian miller. Pitching depth is crazy good too. Back to back top recruiting classes have made us a powerhouse. Lineup is well balanced with just about everyone hitting near .300 with obps in high .300s to .400s. If there's one weakness it's the lack of true top power bats

For those who want to watch amongst the most exciting players in the game watch our lead off hitter tony kemp. He's 5'7" but was SEC player of year and hit .400. One of those classic college players who puts pressure on the defense all game.

I thought that Frosh pitcher Buehler looked like a future first round pick as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I thought that Frosh pitcher Buehler looked like a future first round pick as well.

Yep, buehler became the Sunday starter down the stretch and is a highly touted fresh. Like I said, the pitching depth (and depth in general) is crazy

Indiana really shouldn't be good at baseball. Bad conference, mediocre region, mediocre finances for baseball. Bizarre that they made it. No surprise that it's the first time they've made it and the first time in 29 years that a Big Ten team has made it.

A lot of programs should be looking in the mirror realizing they had more to work with than IU and didn't get close.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Indiana really shouldn't be good at baseball. Bad conference, mediocre region, mediocre finances for baseball. Bizarre that they made it. No surprise that it's the first time they've made it and the first time in 29 years that a Big Ten team has made it.

A lot of programs should be looking in the mirror realizing they had more to work with than IU and didn't get close.

Maybe so, but it's time for the national media to admit.. IU is damn, damn good. They have an SEC type lineup, with some pretty solid pitching. Scary that most everyone is back next year. Indiana is setting itself up to become a midwest power with Coach Smith.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Indiana is setting itself up to become a midwest power with Coach Smith.

I'm just scared he'll head somewhere else, but at least he is an Indiana native. And I'll be interested to see if Ty Neal leaving affects the decision process for Halstead and Slegers.

But who cares about all that right now, OMAHA!! This is unreal.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
I'm just scared he'll head somewhere else, but at least he is an Indiana native. And I'll be interested to see if Ty Neal leaving affects the decision process for Halstead and Slegers.

But who cares about all that right now, OMAHA!! This is unreal.

Just don't see it happening. He's had so many opportunities to leave (only job he even thought about was OSU). He's responsible for the new stadium and the improved play. Indiana is recruiting at a very high level right now. Couple the new stadium with the CWS trip, don't see any way he leaves. Got a chance to speak with him before the season. He just kept saying over and over again that at IU, all sports are 1 team. Pretty incredible what he has done with the previously cellar-dwelling team.