6/3 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Trayce Thompson with a nice game. 2/4 with a double, 2 BBs, & 0 Ks.

His final May numbers turned out real nice: 292/.423/.417/.839. So his power was way down, but his plate discipline was much better with 20:28 BB:K ratio.

With that frame, it's impossible for me to believe he'd hit lower than 15-18 homers playing full-time at the big league level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
With that frame, it's impossible for me to believe he'd hit lower than 15-18 homers playing full-time at the big league level.

I hope he really comes along the rest of the year and into next. We could really use him in Center field

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
He's got crazy power potential. Reminds me a lot of Chris Young actually, I just hope he can hit for better average.

Except he dwarfs Chris Young.

Not the pure burst of speed, but a lot of athleticism and "ranginess" to his game.

He reminds me more of Daryl Strawberry, except with a wider base vs. standing more straight up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:00 AM)
What about his XBH, slugging, OPS?

The kid isn't even 21 yet and in AAA. Power shouldn't be a concern right now, he needs get his AVG & OBP back to respectable levels and continue to work on his defense. If he's going to make it, those are the skills that will get him there. Hopefully some power comes with time.

At least he's trending upward in his last 10 games: .316/.350/.395/.745.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
He's got crazy power potential. Reminds me a lot of Chris Young actually, I just hope he can hit for better average.

Honestly, I'd be fine with .250. With his power potential being 30+ HR and from what scouts say about his defense (it being very good), I'd be fine with him at that average provided he kept his strikeouts at 25% or lower

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:48 AM)
I hope he really comes along the rest of the year and into next. We could really use him in Center field

He just made the jump to AA and it took him 1 bad month before he put up a good month.

That's a positive sign. But still...anything sooner than an opening day 2015 arrival is pushing it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
Honestly, I'd be fine with .250. With his power potential being 30+ HR and from what scouts say about his defense (it being very good), I'd be fine with him at that average provided he kept his strikeouts at 25% or lower

Yeah, I'd be more than ecstatic if he was able to hit somewhere between .250 & .260 with big power and a high walk rate. Throw in strong defense in CF and you're looking at one hell of a player.

I know throwing those numbers out there sounds crazy, but look at how much Trayce's plate discipline has improved this year. He's got a 14.4 BB% & 22.4 K% on the season. That's incredible improvement for a 22 year old against advanced pitching.

I really do think Trayce has a chance to be something special and I still don't get why Baseball America has given him no love as his tools are off the charts.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
While I think many of you are jumping the gun on Thompson, if he finished this season with a batting average of +.270 then we can start getting excited.

Given that he hit .187 in April in his first month in AA, if he hits .270+ on the seaosn that means he hit ~.290+ from May 1 on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Given that he hit .187 in April in his first month in AA, if he hits .270+ on the seaosn that means he hit ~.290+ from May 1 on.

He hit .292 in May. If he can be .270+ for another month or two, and keep the K rates down where he's been lately, I think he's ready for AAA. I don't think he's out of the question for 2014 if he does that, though 2015 may be more realistic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
He hit .292 in May. If he can be .270+ for another month or two, and keep the K rates down where he's been lately, I think he's ready for AAA. I don't think he's out of the question for 2014 if he does that, though 2015 may be more realistic.

That would be a classic White Sox "get him to the big leagues as soon as possible and make Balta start screaming no no no no no" kinda move.

IMO, he's a kid still and the Sox are crazy if they don't treat him like that...give him a full year at AA, plan for AAA next year with a September callup (and if he Phegleys Charlotte, maybe you start talking about it earlier, or if someone gets hurt).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
That would be a classic White Sox "get him to the big leagues as soon as possible and make Balta start screaming no no no no no" kinda move.

IMO, he's a kid still and the Sox are crazy if they don't treat him like that...give him a full year at AA, plan for AAA next year with a September callup (and if he Phegleys Charlotte, maybe you start talking about it earlier, or if someone gets hurt).

Yeah, I agree with this. I think we're starting to see a lot of high-profile prospects across baseball get rushed to the majors, struggle immensely, and end up wasting service time developing in the pros or simply never reaching their potential. Beckham is one guy who comes to mind with us. The Mariners & Royals have a couple others I can think of off the top of my mind.

Obviously there is always going to be an adjustment period in the majors, but the goal should be to limit it by giving prospects as much development time in the minors as possible. Trayce Thompson will only be 24 years on opening day of 2015. That's plenty young enough for a rookie and hopefully you'll end up a more productive player from the get-go if be spends most of 2014 in AAA.