6/4 Games

flavum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
Finally back to .200. 10 HR's, 24 RBI's.

Considering he missed a full month, his pace would be incredible considering only 27 games played this year through tonight's action.

27 GP/140=basically 1/5th of a season, so had he not missed a month, he would be on a pace of 50 homers, 120 RBI's.

And about 300 strikeouts. ;)

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 02:39 AM)
Hell, make him an outfielder.

This is what they need to do, and do it soon, so he knows how to play OF by time we need him, if his success continues. 18 errors already, well over 50 in a year. I know Derek Jeter made over 50 errors in his first or 2nd full minor league season, but my god, that was as a SS and not a 2Bman.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:41 PM)
I'll predict we see Phegley before the all-star break.

Flowers belongs in a league where they ride a bus.

I've been the one saying give Flowers to the trade deadline. That would be close enough.

Then Phegley can struggle for 2 weeks and everyone can say he belongs in a league where they ride the bus

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
This is what they need to do, and do it soon, so he knows how to play OF by time we need him, if his success continues. 18 errors already, well over 50 in a year. I know Derek Jeter made over 50 errors in his first or 2nd full minor league season, but my god, that was as a SS and not a 2Bman.

And Derek Jeter was a well-below average, sometime terrible defensive player his entire major league career. I'm not sure why his past could be encouraging for Micah. lol.

Way too early to change Micah's position on the field. Reports from games indicate that some of his errors are due to attempting to do too much - trying to make flashy or impossible plays, playing them into errors. That is very fixable. He has the speed to have good range. The hands, could improve, just too early to say. He may go to the OF, but the guy has played 2 months of A-ball. A little early to go moving him around.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
And Derek Jeter was a well-below average, sometime terrible defensive player his entire major league career. I'm not sure why his past could be encouraging for Micah. lol.

He sure looked pretty good to me. You must be a stat head.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
He sure looked pretty good to me. You must be a stat head.

Jeter has been one of the most overrated shortstops in decades, mainly because people don't know how atrocious his defense is and was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Then Phegley can struggle for 2 weeks and everyone can say he belongs in a league where they ride the bus

Yes, because people were calling for Flowers' head two weeks into the season.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Jeter has been one of the most overrated shortstops in decades, mainly because people don't know how atrocious his defense is and was.

Well, I am just an old man compared to most on this board, I assume. I am probably an old school type of guy and not so worried about things like is he a great defensive SS. I will take 20 years of Derek Jeter as my SS cause all his other attributes more than made him a HOF SS in my opinion. To have a guy with that bat in the lineup as your SS every day, what an advantage.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Yes, because people were calling for Flowers' head two weeks into the season.

People were calling for Flowers' head before he had played a spring training game as the official starter at catcher

The HR rate is cool and all, but I would MUCH rather see a line of 3 for 5 with 2 doubles and no K's

We know Hawkins has power, but without seeing any game videos and just looking at the boxing score, it seems like he's swing for the fences every time, as evident by his 10 HR, 50 K and 2 doubles in 95 AB's.

Until he changes his approach and start making better contact, I wouldn't get too excited about him. We have too many guys in our organization, top to bottom, who can hit the long ball, but also strikeout over 200 times a year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
For whatever the micro-sample size means, he's had 2 K's in the last 3 games (11 AB). In reality, we need to look at this in a month or so before it means much though.

The kid is in his first season of pro ball out of high school. Even a month is too early. Give him a season at least. Even in a best case scenario, the kid is years away from Chicago. Right now his approach is more important than any statistic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
The kid is in his first season of pro ball out of high school. Even a month is too early. Give him a season at least. Even in a best case scenario, the kid is years away from Chicago. Right now his approach is more important than any statistic.

I think I wasn't clear. I am not saying you make some overall evaluation in a month. I mean you need a month of plate appearances before you look at any substantial change in K rate and have it be meaningful.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
I think I wasn't clear. I am not saying you make some overall evaluation in a month. I mean you need a month of plate appearances before you look at any substantial change in K rate and have it be meaningful.

I'm just saying that looking at his K totals on a game by game basis is just silly at this point. It is a complete waste of time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm just saying that looking at his K totals on a game by game basis is just silly at this point. It is a complete waste of time.

Well, it has been a great excuse to say how terrible management and scouting are, and so for some it has been incredibly valuable rather than a waste of time.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Well, I am just an old man compared to most on this board, I assume. I am probably an old school type of guy and not so worried about things like is he a great defensive SS. I will take 20 years of Derek Jeter as my SS cause all his other attributes more than made him a HOF SS in my opinion. To have a guy with that bat in the lineup as your SS every day, what an advantage.

Ok, but the REST of his game wasn't the point. The conversation was about Micah's apparently bad defense in the IF. You told the story of Derek Jeter being a terrible defender in the minors, and in your opinion, he turned his defense around to be one of the best defensive SS ever (according to the media/uninformed). My point was that using Jeter as an example of a best-case-scenario for Micah isn't a comforting one, because in reality Jeter was a s***-defensive SS his whole career.

Yes, yes, one of the best OFFENSIVE SS to ever play, I'll agree w/ that, but the defense was the topic of discussion here.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
Ok, but the REST of his game wasn't the point. The conversation was about Micah's apparently bad defense in the IF. You told the story of Derek Jeter being a terrible defender in the minors, and in your opinion, he turned his defense around to be one of the best defensive SS ever (according to the media/uninformed). My point was that using Jeter as an example of a best-case-scenario for Micah isn't a comforting one, because in reality Jeter was a s***-defensive SS his whole career.

Yes, yes, one of the best OFFENSIVE SS to ever play, I'll agree w/ that, but the defense was the topic of discussion here.

The topic of Jeter's defense really does bring out the hyperbole. He wasn't a terrible defensive SS his whole career. He was a decent defensive SS for a lot of years, but has slowly descended into sub-par later in his career. He was no gold glover, ever, but he wasn't bad until very recently.