Peavy leaves early due to broken rib

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 05:25 AM)
Do people really think that this sorry organization would trade Peavy 6 months after he resigned with them? #loyaltyforthewin

Yes, as he's been pretty vocal about wanting to play for a competing team

link

Jake Peavy has a good feeling he will be pitching for a playoff contender at

some point in the next two years.

That's because Peavy consented to not having a no-trade clause in the

two-year, $29 million contract he signed in late October.

"At this point in my career, I truly can say I'm playing to win," Peavy said.

"I want that to happen here in Chicago as our ultimate goal. If I was to get

moved, it would mean we weren't doing what we needed to be doing, not be in

contention, as Miami did last year with the (Mark) Buehrle move, and I would be

going to a better situation."

Peavy signed his current deal about three weeks before the Marlins traded

Buehrle to the Blue Jays one year after he signed a four-year contract with the

Marlins under the assumption he wouldn't be dealt.

Peavy has no regrets about not insisting on a no-trade clause, which he had

in his previous contract.

"Obviously I can't speak for Mark and how he felt," Peavy said. "But I will

play anywhere that feels like they have a chance to win the World Series, and

that's their team goal. It is here, and hopefully it is here."

Peavy said he received assurances from general manager Rick Hahn that he

would not be traded before spring training after signing his deal

"Obviously, (Hahn) was a man of his word, so I appreciate that," Peavy said.

Peavy said the Sox never put any pressure on him during the negotiations that led to his re-signing Oct. 30 shortly before he could have become a free agent.

Peavy just wanted to make sure he was going to stay with the Sox for a while. "When you get to a point that I am in my career, no-trade (clauses) mean nothing to me," said Peavy, who waived his no-trade clause July 31, 2009, when the Padres dealt him to the Sox. "If I was to get moved off this White Sox team (it) would mean our team isn't in contention and I would be going to a team in contention that thinks I can help them."

The nagging injury concerns with Peavy are going to downgrade Peavy a bit on the trade market, but not as much as an injury related to his surgery or throwing shoulder/elbow. Need him back at 100% to get maximum trade value. Unfortunately, the match-ups in July aren't as hospitable as the remainder of the June schedule for the next 3 weeks or so.

Their concerns begin and end with Peavy, who departed with what is being called a rib pain in his left side. X-rays were negative for a fracture, and an MRI was scheduled for Wednesday morning in Seattle.

Even without those (MRI) results in hand, Peavy certainly didn't sound encouraged that he'll be able to make his next start Sunday at home against the A's.

"You never know, I guess," said Peavy, leaning against the locker with a heavy wrap across his chest. "We'll know tomorrow, but I can't imagine throwing the ball here in the next few days feeling the way I feel now."

Peavy (6-4) yielded six runs on seven hits over 2 1/3 innings, ending with a two-run Raul Ibanez double on a 3-1, 90-mph fastball. Ventura made the slow walk to the mound after the pitch, and when the conversation continued for more than a normal manager-pitcher chat, home-plate umpire CB Bucknor joined the discussion. White Sox head athletic trainer Herm Schneider soon came out to the mound, and Peavy left the game.

This injury rose up during the club's final game in Oakland, and something might have been in there even longer, according to Peavy. He saw a doctor Monday and figured he could work his way through Tuesday's start, trying to help the White Sox end their losing ways and match up against Felix Hernandez (7-4).

With his fastball topping out at 90 and regular(ly) SIC checking in at 84 or 85 mph, Peavy quickly realized there wasn't much chance to succeed.

"It's something that's pretty acute, pretty sharp. I couldn't physically do much from the start of the game," Peavy said. "I'm hurting to take a deep breath. Just walking I can feel it. Something is going on. If it's the actual rib, which we're pretty positive it is, or something around, we're pretty positive from both of the doctors I saw tonight it's a rib injury."

"Something just didn't look right," Ventura said. "He just wasn't able to get any velocity on it. It's one of those where you don't want him to go out there and continue and hurt something. So, we took him out."

Scott Merkin, mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
Still can't believe they let him go out there for the third inning after he was in pain in the dugout. Hopefully this isn't a month on the DL injury.

Didn't we have this issuse two seasons ago? Peavy is hurt, but he tries to play tough to help the team, but instead ends up hurting it more in the long run.