Peavy leaves early due to broken rib

southsider2k5

“@CST_soxvan: Peavy to have MRI soon, perhaps near end of road trip, to make sure displaced rib fracture is healing properly.”

“@MDGonzales: Peavy says he hasn't been cleared for conditioning yet, hopes to ride stationary bike soon. Could get MRI within a week.”

“@scottmerkin: Peavy used the verbs "boat-raced" and "ham-and-egged" in the same interview today. Highly impressive”

“@scottmerkin: Peavy: "You could almost swallow these beatings if you just showed up and got boat-raced every night ...”

“@scottmerkin: .... or if you didn’t have good pitching or you didn’t have this or that."”

“@scottmerkin: Boat raced: To be beaten very badly at something, especially in such a fashion that you were behind from the start and never had a chance.”

“@scottmerkin: That definition courtesy of http://urbandictionary.com ~”

“@scottmerkin: Ham and Egger, courtesy of UD: Not possessing many spectacular qualities.”

I feel like I just learned a lot about the Sox beat writers.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

“@MDGonzales: Peavy threw for about seven minutes, about 75 feet. "It was good," peavy said.”

“@MDGonzales: Peavy: "I want to pitch in Chicago and want the games to be meaningful." Still realizes he could be dealt.”

“@scottmerkin: Peavy, who played catch today, thinks right around the All-Star break is realistic for his return”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 1h

Peavy says he feels fine, tempted to ask to pitch for Sox on Sunday, but that won't happen. Headed to Huntsville if he feels fine Wednesday

Take a step back Peavy. We have already had enough instances of you coming back too early.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
Take a step back Peavy. We have already had enough instances of you coming back too early.

It's amazing the number of medical professionals that we have on this board that are privy to his medical condition.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
It's amazing the number of medical professionals that we have on this board that are privy to his medical condition.

Holiday Inn Express flashes across the scroll quite often in the adds above. Many folks most click and use it for their overnight stays.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)

It's been historically documented that Peavy's personality has led him to come back too early in the past, but without your credentials I guess we aren't allowed to talk about it. /thread

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
It's been historically documented that Peavy's personality has led him to come back too early in the past, but without your credentials I guess we aren't allowed to talk about it. /thread

The medical staff had nothing to say about it? It was all Peavy?

It's not the credentials, I have no personal knowledge of each of the situations but have experience in many similar situations, it's the lack of belief that the medical staff and physicians allow Peavy do to whatever he wants with no medical clearance. It's all Peavy telling everyone what he os going to do regardless of medical advice. Stop listening to Bernstein and use logic, Peavy would not go out there without medical clearance. The Sox have too much money invested in him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2724414.story

Tentatively, the rotation is Danks, Peavy, Quintana, Sale, Santiago

Peavy will start July 20, 25, and 30 before the trade deadline.

Looking at that rotation, whether we trade Peavy or not, that looks like a fantastic pitching staff

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
Looking at that rotation, whether we trade Peavy or not, that looks like a fantastic pitching staff

It's definitely a rotation you could hang with if the offense was putting up 4-5-6 runs a night.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
Which is why I never understand when i see posters use the rebuild word.

But the offense doesn't put up 4-5-6 runs a night, and the farm system sucks. Trading Peavy is clearly the right move to make if they get the right offer. And if somebody wants to take on John Danks, you do it in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
But the offense doesn't put up 4-5-6 runs a night, and the farm system sucks. Trading Peavy is clearly the right move to make if they get the right offer. And if somebody wants to take on John Danks, you do it in a heartbeat.

Here's my beef with the dump John Danks idea. At some point, we'll have more salary relief than we'll know what to do with it.

Danks $14.3

Peavy $14.5

Sale $3.5

Dunn $15

Rios $12.5

Ramirez $9.5

Keppinger $4

2014 Total: $73.3M

Beckham $3 => $6

Viciedo $2.8 => $3.5

De Aza $2.1 => $4.2

2014 Estimate: $13.7M

So right now, we're looking at $87 million in payroll committments for next year. That's $30 million less than our 2013 opening day payroll, plus we'll be receiving an extra $25 million in TV revenue. Even if we keep all the guys mentioned above, we should have plenty of money to spend. My guess is that we at least one or two high salary players at the deadline which would free up even more money.

IMO, dumping Danks' contract for financial reasons doesn't really do much for us. We're not going to sign 4 or 5 major free agents in one offseason. And we won't get much talent for him right now. However, a year from now when he's 100% healthy that may change, especially if player costs rise with the influx of new TV money. 2 years at $14.25M per may be a deal at that point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)

Rebuilding an offense can be done in an offseason. The same cannot be said for a rotation or bullpen.