Peavy leaves early due to broken rib

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Hopefully he's in the rotation coming out of the break, make 2-3 good starts, and get traded if there's a good deal out there.

Hahn has to be very careful with Peavy and make sure the deadline offers are better than what he can expect to get for him the offseason. If other teams have major concerns over the rib injury, hold on to him and let him rebuild his value.

That being said, Hahn better start selling teams on Rios, Ramirez, De Aza, Crain, Thornton, & Lindstrom right away.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
Who are we going to get to replace Peavey? We have to bring someone up. Is there anything left at Charlotte?

We'll put Hector back in the rotation and call up a reliever from Charlotte and none of those seem like an obvious choice.

For tomorrow, I would personally bring up Erik Johnson so you have someone to cover our ass if Quintana goes out early. I'd piggy back the start, with Johnson planning to get all the relief innings.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
I've had people do that to me and you fold your arms in front of your chest to protect it as they lift you from behind while you exhale.

That's great, but I'm sure you didn't have, you know, trainers around you to help you with something like this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
We'll put Hector back in the rotation and call up a reliever from Charlotte and none of those seem like an obvious choice.

For tomorrow, I would personally bring up Erik Johnson so you have someone to cover our ass if Quintana goes out early. I'd piggy back the start, with Johnson planning to get all the relief innings.

I also wonder if the Sox make two roster moves tomorrow. Remember in the pen, the Sox want Santiago to make the next start, so out of the pen, he isn't an option. Same with Nate Jones as he just went 4 1/3 over the last two days (51 pitches). Also out has to be Addison Reed with his 3IP yesterday (55pitches). Omogrosso logged 3 1/3 over the two days (good for 60 pitches).

In theory that leaves Lindstrom, Crain, and Thornton.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/p...ks-rib-fracture

Peavy still isn’t certain how the injury occurred.

“It was not one incident that I ever felt anything happen,” Peavy said. “I started feeling it in Oakland. I think I did some things thinking it was a rib out of place and getting adjusted and having my back cracked, that certainly didn’t help as we found out today. And obviously last night trying to go through it caused a little more edema and blood to the area and it may take a little bit more time because we tried to push through it.”

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Hey look. Jake Peavy, yet again, gets hurt trying to be a tough guy. Heaven forbid he ever once fess up that he doesn't feel right.

He did. He had already seen a doctor, they told him he could pitch if he felt okay.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Hey look. Jake Peavy, yet again, gets hurt trying to be a tough guy. Heaven forbid he ever once fess up that he doesn't feel right.

He did not get hurt trying to be a tough guy. He got hurt and tried to pitch through it when they thought the rib was hypomobile. This is why they tried the manipulations.

It's amazing the how injuries turn into the player's fault and trying to play with pain is all of their problem. You do realize that all pitchers have some type of pain or soreness by this time of the year. The key is trying to figure out which ones need to be shut down. A non-displaced rib fracture would be impossible to diagnose without the severe pain and imaging. The logical first step it to look at the hypomobility.