Peavy leaves early due to broken rib

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
I'm on board for a Peavy trade, as teams should give a Garza like return if Jake shows he's healthy. but Danks is younger and can play a part of contending team come 2015.

agreed. to me, trading jake comes down to the return. if someone is willing to blow you away with a deal, go for it. and i'm not sure anyone will blow you away, given his injury history and the fact that at best he'll have only three healthy starts under his belt at the deadline.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
agreed. to me, trading jake comes down to the return. if someone is willing to blow you away with a deal, go for it. and i'm not sure anyone will blow you away, given his injury history and the fact that at best he'll have only three healthy starts under his belt at the deadline.

To be fair, it's not like he's been injured all year.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
I'm on board for a Peavy trade, as teams should give a Garza like return if Jake shows he's healthy. but Danks is younger and can play a part of contending team come 2015.

He should get a better return than Garza. Garza is only a 3 month rental. Peavy has a very team friendly contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Rebuilding an offense can be done in an offseason. The same cannot be said for a rotation or bullpen.

A bullpen can be rebuilt rapidly. The Rays seem to do it every year.

It does require having starting pitching to get the bullpen in good situations though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
Here's my beef with the dump John Danks idea. At some point, we'll have more salary relief than we'll know what to do with it.

Danks $14.3

Peavy $14.5

Sale $3.5

Dunn $15

Rios $12.5

Ramirez $9.5

Keppinger $4

2014 Total: $73.3M

Beckham $3 => $6

Viciedo $2.8 => $3.5

De Aza $2.1 => $4.2

2014 Estimate: $13.7M

So right now, we're looking at $87 million in payroll committments for next year. That's $30 million less than our 2013 opening day payroll, plus we'll be receiving an extra $25 million in TV revenue. Even if we keep all the guys mentioned above, we should have plenty of money to spend. My guess is that we at least one or two high salary players at the deadline which would free up even more money.

IMO, dumping Danks' contract for financial reasons doesn't really do much for us. We're not going to sign 4 or 5 major free agents in one offseason. And we won't get much talent for him right now. However, a year from now when he's 100% healthy that may change, especially if player costs rise with the influx of new TV money. 2 years at $14.25M per may be a deal at that point.

I've been saying this for a while now. With that said, re:Danks, he's the guy I'd be most comfortable with dumping. Not so much for salary, but because we should be able to replace him. Erik Johnson should be ready for the show and we have some depth around in Axe and Rienzo if that doesn't work out for whatever reason. It can be risky to go with pretty much 1 veteran (Peavy), though. Maybe we can call Sale a vet now.