White Sox draft day one thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Remember that Laumann said he didn't think the starting pitchers in this draft were anything better than Johnson or Beck.

Two very different pitchers so far. :P I'm pretty disappointed in Beck this season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:54 AM)
The two black high schoolers we drafted in consecutive drafts don't know each other? What a shocker!?

Hawkins was apparently at the draft for some reason? I think she said that and that is why she asked. I dont know why he would be there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
Hate this pick. Might not even stay at SS. Good pitchers on the board

That was my opinion at first, but I love taking toolsy high school positional prospects, so I'm cool with the pick.

Tough to pass on quality college starting pitching though.

Well, our whole "multi-sport" star drafting philosophy is going to be tested the next couple of years...

Definitely like him over Crawford, as he has a lot more overall speed and athleticism (of course, we said the same things about Mitchell in the past, or Walker).

The "shoot for the stars" philosophy is 100X better than the McCulloch/Broadway approach....Ring, Poreda, etc.

As they said, if need be, he can be converted to 2B or CF or any of the outfield positions, but he'll start out at SS.

Becomes our #2 prospect on draft day...or, at worst, #3 behind Johnson/Hawkins.

With the JC experience, he's at least 1 or 1 1/2 years closer to the majors than Crawford, TOO. Fits in a lot better with the idea of replacing Alexei 2 or 2 1/2 years from now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
Beck has mid rotation potential but he needs to up his Ks.

I think Miles Jaye is the SP sleeper of the system.

Yep.

I'm the one always harping on Beck not striking anyone out. I also like Myles Jaye.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Well, our whole "multi-sport" star drafting philosophy is going to be tested the next couple of years...

Definitely like him over Crawford, as he has a lot more overall speed and athleticism (of course, we said the same things about Mitchell in the past, or Walker).

The "shoot for the stars" philosophy is 100X better than the McCulloch/Broadway approach....Ring, Poreda, etc.

As they said, if need be, he can be converted to 2B or CF or any of the outfield positions, but he'll start out at SS.

Becomes our #2 prospect on draft day...or, at worst, #3 behind Johnson/Hawkins.

With the JC experience, he's at least 1 or 1 1/2 years closer to the majors than Crawford, TOO. Fits in a lot better with the idea of replacing Alexei 2 or 2 1/2 years from now.

This. I'm all about it. I used to get so frustrated seeing our 1st round picks be projected as "#5 starter/Long Reliever". Baseball is such a crapshoot anyway - I'll gladly take kids with really high potential.