White Sox draft day one thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
Dang didn't realize Craig Biggios son was in this draft.

That guy has to be a good one right? Haha.

What position is he projected at?....Seen 3rd, SS, & 2nd.

Projects mostly at 2B. Could be a tough sign too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
I would go as far to say it's an area of strength right now with M. Johnson, Semien, Sanchez and Anderson now.

Sanchez needs more time (and more power), and Semien and Johnson aren't even close to being considering legitimate starting prospects. We need everything, but good shortstops don't grow on trees.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Buddy Bell sure didn't think so.

And Saladino.

Lots of "Top 10" guys in there who might have ended up in our top prospects list (Sanchez, Saladino) because of the overall weakness of the system and not because of any great ability or special merit.

We'll see about Sanchez, he's still very young.

And Micah Johnson, no matter what position he ends up, is intriguing. Worst case scenario, you could see him as a superutility, Chone Figgins-Lite type player, although whether he'll hit that well remains to be seen at the upper levels.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
Wow, totally thought he and J.P. Crawford were both high school kids.

I can't believe Anderson is already 22 years old. He better not take a long time.

He's rather raw. Don't expect a fast impact.

Edit: and that age seems very wrong.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
Wow, totally thought he and J.P. Crawford were both high school kids.

I can't believe Anderson is already 22 years old. He better not take a long time.

He is not 22. He is 19. I've seen the incorrect date posted around. According to MLB Draft broadcast, he is 19.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
Completely disagree. Crawford is a supremely advanced HS player and Anderson didn't even get drafted as a freshman. I would wager if the Sox had ended up with Crawford he would have made it to the bigs faster than Anderson.

We shall see.

We need dynamic players.

Crawford doesn't seem like he had a lot of pop or plus speed. He better be a Gold Glove infielder to merit that draft position.

Here’s their quick blurb on the Anderson:

We keep hearing the Tigers are one of the teams on [Eric] Jagielo, and he’d be a fine selection at 20. That said, I know you can’t pick for need, but when you have Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera, plus Nick Castellanos in the minors, I don’t think it makes sense to draft a college third baseman here. So I’m taking East Central (Miss.) CC shortstop Tim Anderson, believing the Tigers will develop an up-the-middle athlete who fits talent-wise and in terms of value at the 20th pick

Tigers were looking at Anderson

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Here’s their quick blurb on the Anderson:

We keep hearing the Tigers are one of the teams on [Eric] Jagielo, and he’d be a fine selection at 20. That said, I know you can’t pick for need, but when you have Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera, plus Nick Castellanos in the minors, I don’t think it makes sense to draft a college third baseman here. So I’m taking East Central (Miss.) CC shortstop Tim Anderson, believing the Tigers will develop an up-the-middle athlete who fits talent-wise and in terms of value at the 20th pick

Tigers were looking at Anderson

Makes sense...Peralta and Infante are veterans, they don't need a lot at the corners.

They're always in "win now" mode.

But always the collision of "closest to helping the big league team/signability" vs. raw potential/ceiling.

I actually love this pick. Really high upside. I didn't like JP Crawford at all.

We went for a great athlete, which I like, but we got a guy who makes contact. I think he sticks at SS. Excited for him and a good change of pace from guys that K a lot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
I actually love this pick. Really high upside. I didn't like JP Crawford at all.

We went for a great athlete, which I like, but we got a guy who makes contact. I think he sticks at SS. Excited for him and a good change of pace from guys that K a lot.

I liked his demeanor, during the interview at least.

Someone who has been overlooked in high school....then first year of JC, has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. There was recently an article in BA about how Mississippi high school/JR/college baseball has produced a lot of talent but is often overlooked.

In some ways, he's the anti-Hawkins. Not so much flash, no back-flips...just give him a bat and give him an opportunity to prove himself.

Edited by caulfield12