White Sox draft day one thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
For me the name to watch is Phil Bickford. He can go anywhere from 8-30. He is a HS pitcher but he has the ceiling like Jered Weaver. I can see KC shocking everyone at #8. Wouldn't mind us picking him up. In fact, I prefer him to Chris Anderson, who I think we eventually end up with.

Mayo and Law have both taken him out of their 1st round projection because of bonus demands.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
If so, and a smart team takes him in the second and meet his demands (think Nationals, Cardinals, BoSox) they can hit a home run. In a weak draft though, someone may see something in this kid and jump all over him. I don't see him making it out of the first.

It depends on his demands. The new rules make it a lot tougher to take guys and pay them way over slot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
A torn labrum in the hip sure wouldn't stop me from picking Manaea. That isn't that big of a deal.

The sox can't afford to pick a Borass guy who currently is waiting to under go surgery. They would be butchered for it.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Right. While I am not particularly versed in the financial aspect of the slots with the new rules, there is still certain teams who don't let money and/or injury history stop them from drafting their BPA at the time.

Picks like the following are what I am referring to:

Nationals with Giolotto.

Rangers with Scheppers.

Tigers with Porcello.

I was expecting the Cardinals with Manaea but his more serious injury report probably changes that.

It is a lot different now than it used to be with the new CBA. If you go more than 10% over your allotment, you lose your next first round pick. 15%+ and you lose two first round picks. It isn't like before when you just went over slot. It now means something.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Right. While I am not particularly versed in the financial aspect of the slots with the new rules, there is still certain teams who don't let money and/or injury history stop them from drafting their BPA at the time.

Picks like the following are what I am referring to:

Nationals with Giolotto.

Rangers with Scheppers.

Tigers with Porcello.

I was expecting the Cardinals with Manaea but his more serious injury report probably changes that.

Appel slipped to 8th last year simply because of his bonus demands. The financial aspect affects all teams now, because if you go overslot in the 1st you'll have to go way underslot with your remaining top 10 picks to fall within your assigned bonus cap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
It is a lot different now than it used to be with the new CBA. If you go more than 10% over your allotment, you lose your next first round pick. 15%+ and you lose two first round picks. It isn't like before when you just went over slot. It now means something.

Yes, the game has changed now. You gotta do something like Correa and the Astros to get overslot later now. And there's a pretty strict limit to how far you can go.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
So basically the best you can do is offer a player 9.99% over slot?

With Bickford's situation, I don't know if he has a certain threshold where he needs to picked to sign or he'll go to college. I know Gray was in a similar situation out of HS.

Each team gets an allotment based on where their picks are. If a team goes more than 5% over that total number, fines kick in. At 10% the loss of picks kicks in, as well as at 15% (plus high levels of fines at each stage).

With Bickford's situation, I don't know if he has a certain threshold where he needs to picked to sign or he'll go to college. I know Gray was in a similar situation out of HS.

I am pretty sure Bickford will just to go to school. Manaea may also go back to school. However, if I were Houston I'd probably use most of my money to draft Appel and Manaea.

I believe the overslot % rules per pick only go through round 10. Then there is the total pool slotting. Sox got Ayala at 13th round last year, as an overdraft, paid him 5th round money (which wiped out pretty much all their surplus).

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
the intangibles is, Boras

This is way off topic.I've been a Sox fan since 1951.Living in Vegas I get MLB extra Innings package.But the west coast teams,except Seattle are blacked out in Vegas when the Sox play them regardless where played,the Oakland series is blacked out.I've heard MLB is going to revamp its blackout rules for next year.Does anybody have facts about the changes.Thanks

QUOTE (mike89128 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
This is way off topic.I've been a Sox fan since 1951.Living in Vegas I get MLB extra Innings package.But the west coast teams,except Seattle are blacked out in Vegas when the Sox play them regardless where played,the Oakland series is blacked out.I've heard MLB is going to revamp its blackout rules for next year.Does anybody have facts about the changes.Thanks

If it's off-topic, my friend, you should consider starting a thread about it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
It depends on his demands. The new rules make it a lot tougher to take guys and pay them way over slot.

Right. You'd basically have to take a second round type guy in the first to afford a first round type in the second. Hard to game this system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
The sox can't afford to pick a Borass guy who currently is waiting to under go surgery. They would be butchered for it.

Obviously, Boras affects whether or not you want to pick him. To me, a fixable hip injury does not really affect my decision-making to any significant extent.

Isn't Hahn our Boras-whisperer? ;)

FWIW, I'm not really thrilled with any of the guys likely to be around when we select.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
A torn labrum in the hip sure wouldn't stop me from picking Manaea. That isn't that big of a deal.

The thing is if he's fixable, he's a near lock for top 5 next year, so there's no way he's going to sign as low as #17. Slot value there is $2.1m, slot value at #1 is $7.7m. He's going back to school.