SOX DRAFT PICKS 2013

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
I don't care if Nick Parent gets drafted in the 38th round. It costs us no money and we have to fill out those rookie rosters anyway. One of the positives of having Oney around way back when was they could move him up and down when there were injuries and/or sit him on the bench at whatever level needed an extra body without caring, since he wasn't a real prospect. So imagine that, but the kid isn't a dickhead.

Why does this player need to be related to someone in the front office or coaching staff?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Why does this player need to be related to someone in the front office or coaching staff?

Because it is inherent in their drafting that they are not a real prospect and a favor is being done to them. The Chase Blackwoods of the world (he was also jerked around like this) deserve a real shot when you have a Nick Parent to jerk around instead.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
Because it is inherent in their drafting that they are not a real prospect and a favor is being done to them. The Chase Blackwoods of the world (he was also jerked around like this) deserve a real shot when you have a Nick Parent to jerk around instead.

When you are into the 36 round, you aren't really drafting prospects at that point. You are buying $1000 lottery tickets. The odds of "Chase Blackwood" being good enough to make the majors is about as good as Nick Parent in terms of reality. Heck there is always Mike Piazza to point to as the king of late round favors.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
That is why I made the statement that I made. Sox do this way too much.

Did you not read the post you replied to? They do it no more than anyone else. Everyone does it.

I happen to agree with you in not liking it, but, stop trying to make it sounds like this is just a Sox thing. It is clearly not.

Some great value on very projectable guys in this draft. Even if they all flame out, at least we went with a much higher reward strategy than we've ever really applied in the past. We want to draft stars, not just serviceable players.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 6m

#White Sox, 3rd-rder Jacob May agree to $525k. Coastal Carolina OF was one of faster players in #mlbdraft, good CF range, switch-hitter.

About 50K under slot.

Puts us up about $310k now, without factoring in the extra $260k-ish we could go over before penalties kicked in.

Also, I believe the rule for players selected in rounds 11-40 is that there is a 100K limit before money counts against the allotment. For example, if Octavio or Tash sign for 250K then 150K would count against the signing allotment for round 1-10.

QUOTE (The 815 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
Also, I believe the rule for players selected in rounds 11-40 is that there is a 100K limit before money counts against the allotment. For example, if Octavio or Tash sign for 250K then 150K would count against the signing allotment for round 1-10.

Is Tash related to Toe Nash?

QUOTE (The 815 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)

Exactly. That is why every penny you can save in the first 10 rounds it huge.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
Exactly. That is why every penny you can save in the first 10 rounds it huge.

It's only potentially huge. The player still needs to bite.

Regardless, the White Sox seem to have done quite well. Now let's develop these guys...