southsider2k5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (staxx @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
Wow. That kid does have some pop.

7.42 60 yard dash is not bad AT ALL for his size.

He's also like, what, 18? He'll probably improve that by a tenth of a second (or two) by the time he's 22 or so and by the time he's 26 or 27 he'll lose it and more unless he keeps working hard with it.

Besides, when you hit it 450 feet, you can run as fast around the bases as you want.

Over the years, Coastal Carolina has produced some solid Draft talent, some going as high as the second round. Whether May, the son of former big leaguer Lee May Jr., goes that early remains to be seen. May is a speedy, switch-hitting leadoff type. He has plus speed to steal bases and to run down balls in center field. The rest of his game still needs to be developed. He has some bat speed, but has to do a better job of making consistent hard contact. With improved jumps and routes, he'll be an above-average defender, though he can outrun mistakes now. The top-of-the-order and center field skills, not to mention the Major League lineage, will surely have many teams interested.

Jacob May, OF, Coastal Carolina – May is a bit undersized at 5’10″, 175 lbs., but he plays much bigger than that. May has a pro body with a very developed musculature. He runs well, is a good baserunner and hustles around the diamond. He shows a mature feel for hitting and uses his bat speed to lace line drives to all fields. The lack of size and power limit May’s profile for some, but I think he’s just a ballplayer. With his strong tools and solid all around game a strong Spring for Coastal might put May in consideration for as high as the 2nd round.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
Over the years, Coastal Carolina has produced some solid Draft talent, some going as high as the second round. Whether May, the son of former big leaguer Lee May Jr., goes that early remains to be seen. May is a speedy, switch-hitting leadoff type. He has plus speed to steal bases and to run down balls in center field. The rest of his game still needs to be developed. He has some bat speed, but has to do a better job of making consistent hard contact. With improved jumps and routes, he'll be an above-average defender, though he can outrun mistakes now. The top-of-the-order and center field skills, not to mention the Major League lineage, will surely have many teams interested.

Jacob May, OF, Coastal Carolina – May is a bit undersized at 5’10″, 175 lbs., but he plays much bigger than that. May has a pro body with a very developed musculature. He runs well, is a good baserunner and hustles around the diamond. He shows a mature feel for hitting and uses his bat speed to lace line drives to all fields. The lack of size and power limit May’s profile for some, but I think he’s just a ballplayer. With his strong tools and solid all around game a strong Spring for Coastal might put May in consideration for as high as the 2nd round.

Pretty typical Sox pick. All tools, has strikeout issues.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-basebl...3/teamcume.html

Baseball America rated him 203, so it's the second straight pick where the Sox valued their pick much higher than others.

Drafted by the Reds in the 39th round out of high school.

Only a .288 career hitter in college, although he never hit into a double play.

Thrown out 10 times in 26 steal attempts this season.

Not so sure about this one -- in the third round.

Edited by winninguglyin83

Jacob May does not have strikeout issues. He struck out 23 times in 230 PA. Sounds like a breath of fresh air to me.

He's a polished, low upside bat - not a surprising choice given the risk on our other two picks. Gotta wonder if we're trying to save money for something, but for what?

Obviously I'm not a talent evaluator nor have I scouted any of these players, but I do get a little worried with a pick like May that the Sox are overvaluing him because of his speed. KW has always had a thing for leadoff hitters and given his involvement in the draft this year I could see this being a pick he heavily influenced. Speed is obviously a great tool to have, but not when it comes at the expense of all power and I'm still not sure KW realizes this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Jacob May does not have strikeout issues. He struck out 23 times in 230 PA. Sounds like a breath of fresh air to me.

He's a polished, low upside bat - not a surprising choice given the risk on our other two picks. Gotta wonder if we're trying to save money for something, but for what?

TELLLLLLEZ

:D

Maybe Biggio???

1. We have a running, locked/pinned thread in FS with the full list of picks, in case anyone needs to catch up.

2. Underslot in 3rd is interesting, if they go under in 4th and/or 5th, then I'd bet something is up. Pending deal with someone seen as not as signable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Obviously I'm not a talent evaluator nor have I scouted any of these players, but I do get a little worried with a pick like May that the Sox are overvaluing him because of his speed. KW has always had a thing for leadoff hitters and given his involvement in the draft this year I could see this being a pick he heavily influenced. Speed is obviously a great tool to have, but not when it comes at the expense of all power and I'm still not sure KW realizes this.

Yea he loves speed & guys with lead off potential, but it's funny that we barely even have a lead off hitter.

Something doesn't add up with the speed guys he brings in haha

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)

Why go for a polished, low upside bat in the 3rd round?