White Sox draft thread: Day Two

southsider2k5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Their past draft record cannot be defended, but really at this point of the draft, these guys are all lottery tickets.

Their recent draft record isn't bad at all. They've drafted and developed quality pitching. I just question the org's ability to develop hitting of any kind.

I really like the Mitchell pick. I'll take two plus pitches all day. Obviously he has command issues and his change up doesn't sound like a very good pitch, but let him throw as a starter for a while and move him a la Jacob Petricka.

GOOD READ ON ROWDY

Summary

The Story of Ryan Tellez began in the womb, when he earned the nickname "Rowdy", for the constant ruckus he caused inside his mother's stomach. The nickname stuck with Tellez his entire life, to the point where his own grandmother (allegedly) doesn't even know his real name.

It is said, that at the age of three, Rowdy learned to ride a dirtbike, before he learned to read or speak. 14 years since, The Legend of Rowdy Tellez continues to grow, as does his massive stature. On this day, the 17-year-old Sacramento-native stands 1.8 Altuves tall, weighing in at 240 pounds.

The powerful first baseman, and current USC Trojan commit, has been on most scout's radar since 2011, when he was named ESPN's Sophomore of the Year. As a junior, Rowdy continued to rake, with a trip-slash of .587/.673/1.013 and nine home runs, usually of the 400+ feet variety.

The left-handed-hitting first baseman is known for his mammouth power and great work ethic. He's also shown potential for average-to-above-average plate discipline. He rocks the number 44, to honor his all-time favorite player, Willie McCovey.

During the World Wood Bat Association's World Championship, in mid-October, Rowdy turned some heads by going 5-for-12 with three doubles, a triple, and a 9:0 K:BB ratio.

UPDATE (6/2): Not much has changed. His still rests solely on his bat. There are definitely some holes in his swing, and I'm not in love with it. He tends to beat the ball into the ground sometimes, which could lead to stretches of weak contact in the future. However; the power and potentially above-average hit tool is too hard to ignore.

Major League Floor

A home run threat off the bench.

Major League Ceiling

Dude has some legitimate upside as a hitter. Best-case scenario, I could see him having a Paul Konerko-type career with the bat. Even though his swing has holes, I don't think he fits the typical strikeout-power, all-or-nothing hitter.

Projected Draft Round

With the 2013 MLB Draft slowly approaching, it's never too early to start looking at candidates for the Astros' second pick. Baseball America ranks him 36th overall on their big board. Jonathan Mayo left him off his top 50. Minor League Ball has him 26th overall. And Keith Law left him off his top 30.

UPDATE (6/2): He could sneak into the first round, but is more likely to go in rounds two or three. He's definitely someone the Astros will consider at 2-1, if he's available.

College Commitment: USC, Will He Sign?

Indications are that he will sign, yes.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
GOOD READ ON ROWDY

Summary

The Story of Ryan Tellez began in the womb, when he earned the nickname "Rowdy", for the constant ruckus he caused inside his mother's stomach. The nickname stuck with Tellez his entire life, to the point where his own grandmother (allegedly) doesn't even know his real name.

It is said, that at the age of three, Rowdy learned to ride a dirtbike, before he learned to read or speak. 14 years since, The Legend of Rowdy Tellez continues to grow, as does his massive stature. On this day, the 17-year-old Sacramento-native stands 1.8 Altuves tall, weighing in at 240 pounds.

The powerful first baseman, and current USC Trojan commit, has been on most scout's radar since 2011, when he was named ESPN's Sophomore of the Year. As a junior, Rowdy continued to rake, with a trip-slash of .587/.673/1.013 and nine home runs, usually of the 400+ feet variety.

The left-handed-hitting first baseman is known for his mammouth power and great work ethic. He's also shown potential for average-to-above-average plate discipline. He rocks the number 44, to honor his all-time favorite player, Willie McCovey.

During the World Wood Bat Association's World Championship, in mid-October, Rowdy turned some heads by going 5-for-12 with three doubles, a triple, and a 9:0 K:BB ratio.

UPDATE (6/2): Not much has changed. His still rests solely on his bat. There are definitely some holes in his swing, and I'm not in love with it. He tends to beat the ball into the ground sometimes, which could lead to stretches of weak contact in the future. However; the power and potentially above-average hit tool is too hard to ignore.

Major League Floor

A home run threat off the bench.

Major League Ceiling

Dude has some legitimate upside as a hitter. Best-case scenario, I could see him having a Paul Konerko-type career with the bat. Even though his swing has holes, I don't think he fits the typical strikeout-power, all-or-nothing hitter.

Projected Draft Round

With the 2013 MLB Draft slowly approaching, it's never too early to start looking at candidates for the Astros' second pick. Baseball America ranks him 36th overall on their big board. Jonathan Mayo left him off his top 50. Minor League Ball has him 26th overall. And Keith Law left him off his top 30.

UPDATE (6/2): He could sneak into the first round, but is more likely to go in rounds two or three. He's definitely someone the Astros will consider at 2-1, if he's available.

College Commitment: USC, Will He Sign?

Indications are that he will sign, yes.

In Keith Law's current chat, I asked if Tellez was a steal at this point. Law responsded that it would be in a softball draft. Okay then.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Their recent draft record isn't bad at all. They've drafted and developed quality pitching. I just question the org's ability to develop hitting of any kind.

I really like the Mitchell pick. I'll take two plus pitches all day. Obviously he has command issues and his change up doesn't sound like a very good pitch, but let him throw as a starter for a while and move him a la Jacob Petricka.

You can almost always add the cutter to any Sox pitcher's repertoire. I'd like to see a guy like this kid learn to change speeds off the curve, alla Crain.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Chances of 3rd round picks being huge contributors aren't that great. Go back to the 2008 third round. Craig Kimbrel is by far the big prize, then Danny Espinosa, then guys like Morel, Zach Stewart and Tekotte.

If your 3rd rounder pans out, you are doing really well.

Their past draft record cannot be defended, but really at this point of the draft, these guys are all lottery tickets.

It's a draft day tradition that the Sox won't get value for their picks (i.e. 200th rated prospect in 3rd round.) That's fine if they have shown to build a top flight farm system by doing that, but unfortunately it's the exact opposite.

If anyone is concerned about taking two guys with two-pitch arsenals at the moment, Erik Johnson profiled similarly when drafted. He had a plus fastball, a decent curve and inconsistent change with good control. Now he has two good pitches and his change is good enough that he's thriving as a SP in AA at an age appropriate level.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
It's a draft day tradition that the Sox won't get value for their picks (i.e. 200th rated prospect in 3rd round.) That's fine if they have shown to build a top flight farm system by doing that, but unfortunately it's the exact opposite.

i.e. 50th rated prospect in the 4th round...

Wait, that doesn't fit into your plan to b**** about everything the organization does, does it?

I think people get too carried away with rankings. If Law and Mayo had all the answers, they would be running someone's draft. Baseball America uses guys like Phil Rogers to rank guys. Baseball is one sport where individual teams' board vary greatly. If you get one really good player out of a draft and 2 or 3 complementary ones, it's a great draft. For all we know ultimately the best player out of this draft for the White Sox may not have even been selected yet. It does make it fun, but it's really impossible to criticize fairly until a few years from now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I think people get too carried away with rankings. If Law and Mayo had all the answers, they would be running someone's draft. Baseball America uses guys like Phil Rogers to rank guys. Baseball is one sport where individual teams' board vary greatly. If you get one really good player out of a draft and 2 or 3 complementary ones, it's a great draft. For all we know ultimately the best player out of this draft for the White Sox may not have even been selected yet. It does make it fun, but it's really impossible to criticize fairly until a few years from now.

This is absolutely true. It's a shame it needs to be said every year.