White Sox draft thread: Day Two

southsider2k5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
I like that pick a lot, and as others have said, this was a possibility with the early value picks the team made. Plus 3B is a serious weakness (IMO the biggest one) in the system.

Hopefully Trey realizes that & signs.

He has a Chase Headley build & has sort of the same stance with the high hand movements & SMOOTH swing from both sides. Both get their front foot up & down quickly at the plate as well.

Edited by Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
The key to those moves are to get these guys. Sox should have some savings from the 1st 3 rounds (all of our picks should sign for under slot). I fully expect them to be able to sign the other guys that they will have to go above slot on. If they can't, it will make those bad picks as you can't be in the business of wasting picks this early in the draft.

Of course, if this guy isn't signable (and they might have some reason to think he would be for all I know), they could also gamble on a really tough sign or two later in the draft...if they can't sign this guy, then that could free up 3rd round money to throw at a guy in the 10th who they pick on a whim.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
It's easy to get excited about this pick, but the moment to get excited is when (if, obviously) he signs. A lot of work to do.

Its still early enough that they have a decent slot amount already in play plus overrages from elsewhere. This shouldn't be that too. Makes it less likely you can take a total home run on a really late round pick though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Of course, if this guy isn't signable (and they might have some reason to think he would be for all I know), they could also gamble on a really tough sign or two later in the draft...if they can't sign this guy, then that could free up 3rd round money to throw at a guy in the 10th who they pick on a whim.

Harder to do late, but I do expect them to take 1 or 2 guys in the teens that would have been top 5 round picks as back-up plans.

Link

Michalczewski, who helped lead the Trojans to regional titles the past two years, has "always dreamed of playing professional baseball."

But whether he signs a pro contract will likely depend on how high he's drafted and how much money he's offered because he also has a scholarship to the University of Oklahoma. He signed with the Sooners last November.

"We'll see what happens, and then we'll probably sit down with the family and talk about it," he said. "I'd love to play professional baseball, but I've got a great thing going at OU."

His stock is on the rise, according to the Perfect Game website. In a May draft preview on Oklahoma, David Rawnsley wrote that Michalczewski "has got(ten) stronger and shown increased bat speed from both sides of the plate."

After hitting eight homers as a sophomore and four as a junior, Michalczewski put up career numbers as a senior - nine homers, 46 RBIs and a .449 batting average. For the increase, he credits Trojans hitting coach Jake Russell and changes he made in his swing.

"I widened my stance and got a little lower on my legs. I was standing straighter as a junior and I was getting out in front on changeups and curves. I'm trying to let the ball get deeper in the zone and see it a little better," he said.

At 6-foot-3, Michalczewski isn't the prototypical second baseman.

He also played third base and shortstop for the Trojans, and could be moved in the future.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Can I ask that people please somehow link or credit material you post here from elsewhere? To protect the site, and to make it clear what is your words and what is not.

Forget protecting the site, it's the proper thing to do when citing someone's work.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
This is the type of pick I was alluding to when Marty was ripping our first picks. He may not be signable but there isn't a chance to sign him if we didn't make reaches earlier.

I hope we throw big money at the this kid.

I understand the strategy if you have multiple picks in the first round. Think the risks outweigh the benefits otherwise.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
It's a draft day tradition that the Sox won't get value for their picks (i.e. 200th rated prospect in 3rd round.) That's fine if they have shown to build a top flight farm system by doing that, but unfortunately it's the exact opposite.

So if we took the reach the Royals did all the way at #8 and then didn't sign Manaea, or he never was healthy with us...would that have been a better understanding of the draft process?

We got a different version of Manaea in Beck last year, who came into the Year as a Top 10 draft pick and disappointed due to bulking up from weighlifting and scouts' bad advice.

The first two picks are always going to be the most important. And sometimes you end up with good players between 3rd and 5th, like an Addison Reed or Joe Crede.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
So if we took the reach the Royals did all the way at #8 and then didn't sign Manaea, or he never was healthy with us...would that have been a better understanding of the draft process?

We got a different version of Manaea in Beck last year, who came into the Year as a Top 10 draft pick and disappointed due to bulking up from weighlifting and scouts' bad advice.

The first two picks are always going to be the most important. And sometimes you end up with good players between 3rd and 5th, like an Addison Reed or Joe Crede.

I don't think Manaea=Beck is a fair comparison. Manaea is and always has been better and only lost draft position due to a hip injury, not a mysterious loss of velocity and effectiveness.

Round 8 Sox Pick:

Chris Freudenberg- LHP

Freudenberg began his college career at Central Arizona Junior College last year before transferring to Arizona Christian that spring. He then moved onto South Mountain this year. Despite all the upheaval, Freudenberg managed a breakout season this year. He throws in the upper-80s to low-90s with a clean, easy arm action. Freudenberg's velocity dipped late in the season, likely as a result of a heavy workload that included starting and relieving. Freudenberg also throws a curveball and cutter. He will need to add a changeup and fill out his 6-foot-3, 195-pound frame to remain a starter as a professional.

MLB.com

Chris Freudenberg, South Mountain CC in AZ. Has bounced around several colleges, high 80s low 90s heater solid breaking stuff. 6'3" 195. He'll likely begin his career as starter but needs work.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Chris Freudenberg, South Mountain CC in AZ. Has bounced around several colleges, high 80s low 90s heater solid breaking stuff. 6'3" 195. He'll likely begin his career as starter but needs work.

LHP, sorry

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
No catchers or firstbasmen taken yet.

I know Laumann likes the catcher depth already but it would have been nice to pick up a decent 1B project somewhere throughout the draft.

Well...our boy Rowdy is still around :D

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
No catchers or firstbasmen taken yet.

I know Laumann likes the catcher depth already but it would have been nice to pick up a decent 1B project somewhere throughout the draft.

To be honest, I don't care for taking 1st basemen. For all we know Michalczewski could end up at 1st.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
At the very least, it should be entertaining to watch people brutalize the spelling of his last name.

Michal c zewski

It looks complicated, but those parts are easy. Let's hope that helps. :lol:

Sox 9th Round Pick

Nick Blount RHP 6'06" Southern Polytechnic State (GA)

MARIETTA, Ga. – Nick Blount, a first-year member of the Southern Polytechnic State University baseball team, was one of just 30 players named to the Prospect League Top Prospects list by Perfect Game USA, the largest and most complete amateur baseball scouting service in the world. Blount, a 6-foot-6, 220-pound right-handed pitcher from Loganville, Ga., is a senior transfer from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, where he pitched the past three seasons.

"With everything we've heard about Nick, he can definitely either start or close for us," Southern Poly first-year head coach Marty Lovrich said. "The good thing about him is that we're going to have the ability to find out if we've got starters and can use him at the end or if we need him at the front to go six, seven or eight innings. We feel like he's got a chance to be one of the better pitchers in the Southern States Athletic Conference."

The Prospect League is a summer collegiate wood bat league comprised of 12 teams located throughout Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Each team plays a 60-game schedule that runs from late May until early August.

This past summer, Blount pitched for the Terre Haute (Ind.) REX, where he went 2-1 with 12 saves and a 1.38 ERA, striking out 39 and walking only nine over 32 2/3 innings. Blount was chosen as the Prospect League's Co-Prospect of the Year and Fireman of the Year after pitching in 29 contests with one start. He was the only player on the top prospects list from an NAIA-member institution.

Blount, a graduate of South Gwinnett (Ga.) High School, made 61 career appearances with 12 starting assignments at Tennessee. As a junior in 2012, he took over as the Volunteers' closer, collecting a team-high 10 saves in his first 10 opportunities. Blount saw action in 23 games last spring, making five starts before moving to the bullpen.

http://www.ssacsports.com/article/1670.php