6/8 Games

flavum

The crazy thing is that if you just glanced solely at OPS numbers, Hawkins at his young age would be putting up a mid 800's number in the Carolina League, which isn't traditionally known as a "hitter's paradise" compared to the SAL.

Granted, his batting average is still "only" .224, and the K numbers look awful, but it's not reflecting the overall improvement in play since he came back from his time on the shelf.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
Micah Johnson 2/3 with a BB, 2 SB (second and third) and 2 CS

That's Michael Johnson with 2 CS. It's often easy to confuse those two.

It's wonderful to see Micah get back on track in the baserunning department after being slow down recently.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
That's Michael Johnson with 2 CS. It's often easy to confuse those two.

It's wonderful to see Micah get back on track in the baserunning department after being slow down recently.

even better :wub:

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 12:25 AM)
What are Hawkins post injury numbers?

In 9 games hitting .344, 4 HR, 4 2B, 13 RBI, 1 BB, 11 K, .900+ SLG (!!!), 1.300+ OPS (!!!)

He is still striking out a ton, 32%, but that's actually LOWER than the 50% he was at before his injury.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
In 9 games hitting .344, 4 HR, 4 2B, 13 RBI, 1 BB, 11 K, .900+ SLG (!!!), 1.300+ OPS (!!!)

He is still striking out a ton, 32%, but that's actually LOWER than the 50% he was at before his injury.

I looked again. It should be 8 games, including a DH.

11/30 (.367), 4 2B, 3B, 4 HR's, 12 RBI's, 1 BB, 11 K's.

Has played every game June 2nd through 8th, including the DH on the 3rd.

He's been better since the return, but that K rate is still in red flag territory. If he cuts it to something below 30 for an extended period this season I'll believe he's OK again. Until then, I'm doubtful that K rate allows him to succeed in the Majors.

All about progression/improvement with Hawkins.

He at least knows he can play at High A level now...feels like he belongs and not worried about a demotion to Kanny.

At his age, bypassing one full level, 30-35% is expected as a K rate, with how raw and inexperienced he is....of course, you want to see that cut down to 30% or 25% as he moves forward, but that kind of raw power just doesn't exist anywhere else in our system.

He SHOULD be a lot better the next 2 1/2 months of the season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
You're jumping the gun here. He hasn't even been playing for a full year yet and he suffered an injury. For all we know, they're making him do something that will make him strikeout a lot. I'd be a little bit more patient.

I'm not jumping the gun. He was pathetic for the first two months of the season. No way around it.

I'm just saying I won't believe in him until the K rate drops. I didn't say I don't think he can. I'm just not going to concern myself with the number of homers he hits or anything else until the K rate goes below 30. Even in the high 20s there are serious issues, but at least there's hope at that point.