My Guy: Tony Armas Jr.

Chisoxfn

Well, I'd love for the Sox to pick up Colon or Vazquez or Maddux, but right now I think the best pick up would be Tony Armas Jr. or Ryan Dempster. Thats if the Sox don't want to add payroll.

Of course, it will be very hard to get Armas Jr. unless we take on payroll, such as Tatis's contract.

Still, Armas is only 24 yrs old, turns 25 at the end of April and is a hard throwing lefty.

Last season he was 12-12 with a 4.44 era. The year before that he was 9-14 wioth a 4.03 era and made 34 starts two years ago and 29 this year.

To me one of his finer stats is the fact that hitters hit a measly .243 against him in his career. The real fascinating stat is the fact that right handers don't hit him at all, .204 in his career, while lefties hit .285 off him. To me, if your a lefty, you can figure out a way to get lefties out, and that is something that can be taught.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Well, I'd love for the Sox to pick up Colon or Vazquez or Maddux, but right now I think the best pick up would be Tony Armas Jr. or Ryan Dempster.  Thats if the Sox don't want to add payroll. 

Of course, it will be very hard to get Armas Jr. unless we take on payroll, such as Tatis's contract.

Still, Armas is only 24 yrs old, turns 25 at the end of April and is a hard throwing lefty.

Last season he was 12-12 with a 4.44 era.  The year before that he was 9-14 wioth a 4.03 era and made 34 starts two years ago and 29 this year. 

To me one of his finer stats is the fact that hitters hit a measly .243 against him in his career.  The real fascinating stat is the fact that right handers don't hit him at all, .204 in his career, while lefties hit .285 off him.  To me, if your a lefty, you can figure out a way to get lefties out, and that is something that can be taught.

The reason lefties hit him is because he's a right handed pitcher. DUHHHHHHHHHH!

:cool:

I have to say i prefer dempster over armas for age, and i think he is better. Guys i also like are the Marlins Brad Penny who i think is a little better than dempster and joe kennedy of the devil rays. I know his record wasnt good but no one's was on such a bad team and gonig somewhere else i think he would be very productive. Whether or not these guys will be available i dont know but i really like their futures.

My bad everyone...I swore he was a lefty, and i didn't bother checking it, just going off my memory.

That would definately explain him getting the righties out at that clip. Either way I still like him.

Remember Gary, Armas Jr. and Dempster are the same age. Armas is a little younger, but not much.

What about Paul Wilson? There were talks about him in about June, but no trade rumors...just throwing names around. That's exactly what I'm doing here...or what everyone is doing here.

He can't be that spendy.....and he would cost us maybe Carlos Lee? And if we have to take on a player, maybe a Ben Grieve, that wouldn't be that bad, IMO....it would give us a left-fielder for the time being if Liefer can't cut it. Or he could be a 4th outfielder or we could maybe trade him somewhere.

And if we do trade Carlos....what about signing Reggie Sanders? He'd cost us between $2-3 million a year, and we'd get some decent power and good speed at the bottom of our order. And if it means anything, he's been to the World Series the past two years.

Sanders the strike out king, he's Jeff Leifer by a different name. Dempster can pitch. He's good, Armas totally fell apart when Montreal traded for Colon to make their pennent run. He couldn't get anybody out, untill that point he was good though. Dempster is the power pitcher we want. He's always had good K #s

I like the Paul Wilson idea, but I don't like the Reggie Sanders idea. If we are going to pick up another outfielder, let it be Vladdy or Hollandsworth or even someone like Vander Wall.

Wilson is a quality pitcher and I'd love to pick him up, but not at the expense of Carlos Lee. I'll give them Matt Ginter and a fringe prospect.

Dempster got drilled in the NL last season and that would only mean worse pitching in the AL where pitchers don't bat.

Unless he gets better command of his pitches and learns to hit his spots, I don't give up much for Dempster. Sure, he is potentially an ace, but the key word is potentially. Up to this point, he's never totally put it together. If we could get him fairly cheap, then go for it. Otherwise, go after someone who has proven they can throw strikes on a consistent basis.

Don't expect the Expos to give up Armas at all. He still has a butt load of potential and has an arsenal of pitches he can throw for strikes. He doesn't cost nearly as much as Vasquez or Colon, who are surely going to get plenty of attention from numerous suitors.