6/10 Games

DirtySox

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
Where's he gonna play in Bham?

Trayce, Walker, Early and Mitchell already a log jam

Great point, just hoping there is not some massive promotion based on some sell off at the big league level. However, with your comment, I'm optimistic that barring injury I will be able to see him play.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
Where's he gonna play in Bham?

Trayce, Walker, Early and Mitchell already a log jam

When it's time, they will probably push Mitchell back up to AAA...

Early's not a serious prospect, so he becomes the 4th OF or part-time DH.

They might just as likely push Early up and have an outfield of Mitchell/Walker/Hawkins/Thompson all together in one place...although there's also a decent chance they push Thompson up in August to Charlotte and give Hawkins one month in AA and the AFL season after that.

At any rate, Walker, Early and Mitchell aren't going to be getting in his way.

Hawkins 1/4, 2 K's, HR (11), 2 RBI's (31) currently at .222.

Semien all the way down to .256.

Seems like Trayce Thompson is doomed to hit in the .240's every year. He's got to get his average at least into the .260's to be taken seriously as a prospect (to be an everyday CFer) in the next year or so.

Petricka's going to have a shot at being in the bullpen mix in 2014, in all likelihood.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
There are some holes in his stats, but who cares? Like Caulfield says, at age 19 in A ball if you are the best at ONE thing, that is huge.

To me what is worrisome is that his approach at the plate may be to swing for the fences. I understand a kid may be raw and hopefully that is why he is only hitting HRs, but I think it could also be a very poor approach at the plate.

The power is terrific and all, but unless he cuts down his strikeouts significantly (like huge huge huge), he will never be anything special. Sadly, the minors has been littered with supreme power hitters who can't make consistent contact.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
To me what is worrisome is that his approach at the plate may be to swing for the fences. I understand a kid may be raw and hopefully that is why he is only hitting HRs, but I think it could also be a very poor approach at the plate.

The power is terrific and all, but unless he cuts down his strikeouts significantly (like huge huge huge), he will never be anything special. Sadly, the minors has been littered with supreme power hitters who can't make consistent contact.

Let's wait until we at least get through 2013 before starting to make any judgments about what he will or won't be as a player.

The Arizona Fall League, at his age, would be a HUGE test of his development and K ratio.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
When it's time, they will probably push Mitchell back up to AAA...

Early's not a serious prospect, so he becomes the 4th OF or part-time DH.

They might just as likely push Early up and have an outfield of Mitchell/Walker/Hawkins/Thompson all together in one place...although there's also a decent chance they push Thompson up in August to Charlotte and give Hawkins one month in AA and the AFL season after that.

At any rate, Walker, Early and Mitchell aren't going to be getting in his way.

Seriously? People are talking about promoting Hawkins this year when he's still hitting .220 with 8 walks and a 50% k rate? This has got to be the most ridiculous suggestion I've read in FutureSox this year.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Seriously? People are talking about promoting Hawkins this year when he's still hitting .220 with 8 walks and a 50% k rate? This has got to be the most ridiculous suggestion I've read in FutureSox this year.

It's not completely ridiculous, but it's definitely premature.

If you compare June with April, they're two completely different players, except for the K ratio.

I don't think the White Sox are going to get caught up in what his batting average is, when/should they decide to push him to Birmingham in August.

They definitely don't HAVE to push him up. They're probably not going to be recalling Thompson to Chicago this year, either.

The White Sox aren't looking at his overall walk totals, they're looking 90% at the player they're watching for the last 10+ games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
It's not completely ridiculous, but it's definitely premature.

If you compare June with April, they're two completely different players, except for the K ratio.

I don't think the White Sox are going to get caught up in what his batting average is, when/should they decide to push him to Birmingham in August.

They definitely don't HAVE to push him up. They're probably not going to be recalling Thompson to Chicago this year, either.

The White Sox aren't looking at his overall walk totals, they're looking 90% at the player they're watching for the last 10+ games.

I agree. But it is just another sample overall, with a bigger sample of suck compared to a little sample of beast.

By the end of the year there won't be room for Jordan Danks in Charlotte.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
They're not going to groom him for that position, it sounds like. As I said in the Cubs thread, I think they'll use him (with Vogelbach) in a package to get a big time pitcher.

I would think if they try to market him as a corner infielder and he makes 30+ errors at that position, he's going to end up worth about as much as Dayan Viciedo.

Well, maybe not as low as Dayan stands today, but definitely diminished in value.

Unless he can hit like Miggy Cabrera...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Hawkins 1/4, 2 K's, HR (11), 2 RBI's (31) currently at .222.

Semien all the way down to .256.

Seems like Trayce Thompson is doomed to hit in the .240's every year. He's got to get his average at least into the .260's to be taken seriously as a prospect (to be an everyday CFer) in the next year or so.

Petricka's going to have a shot at being in the bullpen mix in 2014, in all likelihood.

If Trayce Thompson hits .240, and his power translates, he's going to be an everyday CFer for someone. The fear is that he's going to hit in the .200s or worse.