Worst game you've ever seen?

Buehrle>Wood

I was at that game, too.

This was worse, by far...not heartbreaking, because we haven't really legitimately been in the race for weeks.

More like depressing, simply because, like Parent and Nossek have noticed...the players are too nice, or they're not accountable or they're simply waiting for something bad to happen, expecting it.

And with so many mistakes tonight, at least 12-13 easily identifiable ones, it wasn't a surprise to anyone when Reed gave up that homer with 2 strikes to Bautista, even if he was 19/20 in save conversions entering tonight.

It wasn't a surprise when Troncoso took the loss...or when Flowers dropped the ball tagging out the runner. That inning would have turned out entirely differently had Alexei just held on to the ball and got the out at 2nd. From that point on...you knew what would happen.

This is why I watched the 2005 World Series video (thanks, Michael Clarke Duncan, you will be missed) for the first time in 8 years, since it was given to me that Christmas.

Just to remember what it was like at that time....especially the Crede homer off Riske, I was living in Colombia then and I remember going crazy and nobody knew in my girlfriend's apartment why I was so excited and jumping up and down.

Edited by caulfield12

I've seen some bad baseball games. I think one year the Sox got shut out in both ends of a doubleheader. That'd go down as the worst day of baseball ever. Does anybody know if that is true? Or maybe it was 4-1, 4-0 or something. I didn't like today's game cause I tuned in in time for the Bautista homer and the awful baseball after that.

"We kept shooting ourselves in the foot," manager Robin Ventura said.

It has been four weeks since Ventura had a 50-minute workout five hours before a game to address the shoddy defense. The Sox were charged with three errors but also committed three baserunning mistakes that stunted rallies.

"It has been worse that than," Ventura said of the latest follies. "We'll address it."

With 99 games left in the season, the Sox (28-35) at least would have hoped to shore up defensive deficiencies by now.

Shortstop Alexei Ramirez's error and Tyler Flowers' passed ball led to two runs in the top of the second, and Flowers allowed Maicer Izturis to jar a ball loose from him for an insurance run to score in the 10th.

Flowers' drop occurred shortly after reliever Ramon Troncoso hurled a wild pitch that scored the go-ahead run.

Flowers said he didn't get a good read on the relay throw from Ramirez but took responsibility for the miscue.

But there were other guilty parties. Dayan Viciedo was thrown out easily while trying to move to second on an errant pitch by Jays starter Chien-Ming Wang in the second. Alejandro De Aza was picked off first base to end the third.

And Gordon Beckham was thrown out trying to advance from first to third on Flowers' hit after the Sox had scored four times in fourth that included Conor Gillaspie's three-run homer to snap an 0-for-21 slump.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports

SIGH.

Flowers really seems to have a lot of excuses this season for all of his mistakes and physical problems adjusting to catching everyday.

The tiebreaking run scored on a wild pitch, and the second was unearned when catcher Tyler Flowers dropped a throw from left fielder Alejandro De Aza.

‘‘I never had it,’’ Flowers said. ‘‘It was a tweener hop. The runner sped up, and I never had a grip on it.’’

Troncoso was making only his second appearance after being recalled last week. He was the fourth reliever to follow Quintana. Nate Jones and Matt Thornton kept the Blue Jays scoreless.

‘‘Bautista is one of the best home-run hitters in the game,’’ said Thornton, who stopped a scoring threat in the eighth with two on and no outs.

‘‘I think it’s just a matter of winning a few games in a row and not letting this one get us down. We’re going to lose games, but it’s a matter of stringing a bunch of wins together in between those losses.’’

www.suntimes.com/sports (Ginetti)

Edited by caulfield12

Don't get me wrong, this game was really awful, but worst ever? Come on. Drama much? Thinking back to some of the epic fails in the Metrodome, or some of the massive blow outs we have had over the years, this is barely a blip on the all-time radar, especially when you figure in the lack of expectations that most people had for this team anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
Don't get me wrong, this game was really awful, but worst ever? Come on. Drama much? Thinking back to some of the epic fails in the Metrodome, or some of the massive blow outs we have had over the years, this is barely a blip on the all-time radar, especially when you figure in the lack of expectations that most people had for this team anyway.

It is meant in terms of poor play. Caulfield had a nice mistake counter in the game thread. I think it ended at about 14 and should have been higher.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
It is meant in terms of poor play. Caulfield had a nice mistake counter in the game thread. I think it ended at about 14 and should have been higher.

Agreed. Based on pure mistakes and dumb baseball, one of the worst games I can remember. You'd have a really, really hard time finding a game with that may mistakes.

Much different than just getting beat in the Metrodome or blowing a lead there, etc.

You know another time when the Sox had a really sloppy team? In fact, now that I checked, they led the league in errors. 1999. They were worse on defense than the Rays. Sloppiest team I can remember off the top of my head.

You know why? Rebuilding year. I'm glad no one here thinks that's the thing the Sox need to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
You know another time when the Sox had a really sloppy team? In fact, now that I checked, they led the league in errors. 1999. They were worse on defense than the Rays. Sloppiest team I can remember off the top of my head.

You know why? Rebuilding year. I'm glad no one here thinks that's the thing the Sox need to do.

That's fine, but when you have hitters to watch like Thomas, Konerko, Ordonez, Lee and Ray Durham, it's not so boring.

Always the KW philosophy back at that time, entertain them with offense/homers.

At least there was excitement about the arrival of young rookie starting pitchers with talent like Kip Wells that year.

We also were one year away from being named the #1 farm system in MLB.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
That's fine, but when you have hitters to watch like Thomas, Konerko, Ordonez, Lee and Ray Durham, it's not so boring.

Always the KW philosophy back at that time, entertain them with offense/homers.

At least there was excitement about the arrival of young rookie starting pitchers with talent like Kip Wells that year.

We also were one year away from being named the #1 farm system in MLB.

Out of the guys you mention who aren't first ballot hall of famers, Durham had his first year with an .800+ OPS in 1998, and the other guys were either rookies or in their first moderately successful season.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
"We'll address it."

What does that mean, Robin? Extra practice? GMAFB. I have the utmost respect for Robin Ventura as a player and a person but these are the times that define you as a manager. Do.Something.Now.

Maybe he can address using Reed the day before instead of Troncoso with a 4 run lead in the 9th. Instead you get Reed pitching his 4th game in a row and giving up the game tying HR. Look in the mirror Robin.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Considering how badly the Sox have played this year and the fact Peavy is hurt, Paulie appears done, Viciedo has not yet come of age, Flowers is about as bad as it gets, Dunn is Dunn, Lexi is complacent, lazy or something making him a buffoon, our corner infielders have no pop in the bat, DeAza is a defensive nightmare and the relief pitching is blah except for Crain and our closer ...

Do you guys fully expect the Sox to reside in last place the rest of the season?

Another ? If the Sox looked this bad last year, would Robin have been back this year? As good a job as he received credit for last year, he's been that bad this year.

My answer to my questions ... I do think we'll finish ahead of Cleveland. I doubt Robin would have tried year two if we played this badly last year.

Edited by greg775

The worst game for me was probably the 1970 home opener. Sox and Tommy John lost to the Twins 12-0. Home openers are so cool because excitement of a new season is so high. Starting anew after a dreadful 1969 season, I had high hopes for the White Sox. Meh, same old sh*t. At least I got to see the major league debut of the one and only John "Pineapple" Matias.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Back in 1995, I went to this game and remembered being upset that a no-name pitcher with a high ERA completely dominated the White Sox.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...199507040.shtml

Holy crap. I don't even remember Rivera starting games. And little did you know there were 2 future Sox managers in the lineup. Dave Martinez, anyone?