We just lost to the Astros

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
I agree the great plays are nice and great, but I rather have a steady shortstop that makes all the routine plays and few a few awesome than the other way around. The awesome plays happen one in ten. You win with steady heads up players, I know thàt is obvious..

I tend to agree, he is very frustrating, and the dissappearance of his power is baffling to me. I remember when they signed him a scout was posting here and said he was Omar Infante with less power. Now he really is.

I just think there are more important things to address than SS, at the moment, and it is also a very hard position to find someone better.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
I tend to agree, he is very frustrating, and the dissappearance of his power is baffling to me. I remember when they signed him a scout was posting here and said he was Omar Infante with less power. Now he really is.

I just think there are more important things to address than SS, at the moment, and it is also a very hard position to find someone better.

I agree SS would be the last upgrade.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
I agree the great plays are nice and great, but I rather have a steady shortstop that makes all the routine plays and few a few awesome than the other way around. The awesome plays happen one in ten. You win with steady heads up players, I know thàt is obvious..

He gets to so many balls that other ss's don't get to. Yes he's frustrating but he's absolutely one of the best defensive shortstops in the league.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
He gets to so many balls that other ss's don't get to. Yes he's frustrating but he's absolutely one of the best defensive shortstops in the league.

Again, I agree on the plays he can get to, but how many of those actually happen over routine plays that he messes up.... Argh I agree he is frustrating :)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)

I still go back to my thought years ago that Alexei has the attention span of an ADHD hummingbird.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
Alexei reminds me a little of Jose Valentin... make some really tough plays look easy.. then the easy plays are the ones he screws up over and over.

Nice! Good comparison that was awesome. Valentin's power never went away tho

When you struggle every bad play, bad bounce, missed catch, runner left on, etc, etc becomes magnified. Ramirez can get to balls many shortstops can't. Gets a bit reckless at times. I am disappointed in his hitting too. I think that swing of his is way to long. That was a tough tough loss to pin on Sale. Let's just win the game on saturday and feel better.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
When you struggle every bad play, bad bounce, missed catch, runner left on, etc, etc becomes magnified. Ramirez can get to balls many shortstops can't. Gets a bit reckless at times. I am disappointed in his hitting too. I think that swing of his is way to long. That was a tough tough loss to pin on Sale. Let's just win the game on saturday and feel better.

Yeah, if Alexei was on pace for 10-15 HR the defensive miscues wouldn't be as annoying, that's worth remembering too.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Tigers, Pirates, Rangers, Yankees, and Indians have all lost to the Astros as well....If we lose the series though, that's rock bottom.

Did they lose when their ace struck out 14 and gave up no earned runs?

QUOTE (staxx @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Did they lose when their ace struck out 14 and gave up no earned runs?

Well no, but they did score 5 earned runs on Scherzer and 7 on a still pretty good Andy Pettite. Not sure which is more disheartening, getting blown up by the Stros or what happened yesterday.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 06:32 AM)
Anybody remember when I always blasted alexei for his lazy, fancy and stupid baseball?

When I was blasted for it , and given the he should have won the gold glove story by the stat lovers here?

Time proved me right.......

You've been proven right? Gtfo. He's been the best SS in the AL for years and he's still among the best. That's like saying you predicted PK would be a s***ty hitter and you think you've been right because he sucks this year. That was such a stupid post that its kind of blowing my mind.

Lots of players are called brain dead. Most of them are short stops. You know why? They have a lot more to think about than any other player on the field. They have to make more snap judgements. Sometimes they make stupid plays. There's no doubt that he's kind of a dumb baseball player, but he's more than earned his salary throughout his career.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
You've been proven right? Gtfo. He's been the best SS in the AL for years and he's still among the best. That's like saying you predicted PK would be a s***ty hitter and you think you've been right because he sucks this year. That was such a stupid post that its kind of blowing my mind.

Lots of players are called brain dead. Most of them are short stops. You know why? They have a lot more to think about than any other player on the field. They have to make more snap judgements. Sometimes they make stupid plays. There's no doubt that he's kind of a dumb baseball player, but he's more than earned his salary throughout his career.

Alexei is very much a "flow" kind of player, Uribe was the same way. Put him with a 2B he likes to work with & on a team that believes it's going places & the focus is there. Put him in the middle of a garbage fest next to Tyler Greene & all that goes through his head are reruns of Fidel's Cuban commie ripoff version of Famikly Matters, where instead of Urkel it's Urubiel or something, and his suspenders are made of banana leaves. Every bit as quirky though,. ALEXei frogerts to make the plas then.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)

That's a bit of an exaggeration there, c'mon.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)

Hmmmm no. I said what I said based on facts that have happened , that too many blind people haven't wanna see. And if he's top 5 that's the sad state shortstops in the AL are. Now it doesn't mean Ramirez doesn't have talent, he does but that don't always mean your a good baseball player.