San Diego Padres

jthunder93

Just like that the Padres are interesting, climbing a game over .500 after winning six in a row at home over the Braves and Diamondbacks. Clayton Richard, who had been horrible (the Padres had won just one of his nine starts), was the star in Sunday's 4-1 win over Arizona, pitching eight innings although he struck out just one batter. How did the Padres get here, two games out of first place? Well, it helps that the NL West is so mediocre, but Richard has a 7.01 ERA and Edinson Volquez 5.87. There's some smoke and mirrors here, especially with Jason Marquis, who is 9-2 despite a high home run rate and a terrible strikeout-to-walk ratio. Their success has mostly been fueled by a solid offense -- although no one player has even 30 RBIs -- and underrated leadoff man Everth Cabrera (.382 OBP, 31 steals). Look, they'll have to find a way to upgrade the rotation because Richard isn't good, Volquez is inconsistent and Marquis' luck is due to run out, but in the NL West, anything is possible. Plus, it just feels good to be over .500 for the first time since April 6, 2011.
Think they'd be interested in Peavy? :)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)

I could see the Padres going after Peavy. He's done pretty well this year. Maybe they'd move Richard to the bullpen...give them a rotation of something like: Peavy, Stults, Cashner, Marquis, Volquez. The Padres have a pretty good farm system. Don't really have any big name prospects, but are one of the better farm systems.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
They seem well managed, would you agree?

Another argument for the Scioscia Tree of Managing.

Maddon, Bud Black and Ron Roenicke. Then there's always Dave Martinez, lurking beyond the shadow of Sandberg, lol.

But seriously, if you look at some of the line-ups that the NL West teams are throwing out there, you'd think they would finish in last place in the AL Central unless you took pitching fully into account.

I was doing a little research, had no idea that Gene Lamont finished 2nd behind Valentine for the Red Sox job. Now he's the bench coach for the Tigers after being 3rd base coach for a long time. And Jeff Cox, interestingly, has finally found a home with the Tigers. Not to mention the former pitching coach of the Pirates, Chuck's son and briefly a member of the 1985 Chicago White Sox, Bruce Tanner (he was our pitching coach in 1995 in Augusta when we won the SAL) is one of the five major league scouts with the Tigers. And, of course, Dave Dombrowski's White Sox roots.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
They seem well managed, would you agree?

I would totally agree. Bud Black has done an outstanding job with what he has. If they can keep it up, Josh Byrnes might be buying at the deadline. They're all set in the bullpen, but might be in the market for another starting pitcher or a good middle-of-the-order bat.

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
I would totally agree. Bud Black has done an outstanding job with what he has. If they can keep it up, Josh Byrnes might be buying at the deadline. They're all set in the bullpen, but might be in the market for another starting pitcher or a good middle-of-the-order bat.

Isn't enough that we already gave them Quentin, we have to give them Rios, too.

The Pirates could use a RFer to replace Snider.

Let's see if I can follow this Quentin trade outcome.

The initial trade was Quentin for Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez. Hernandez was traded 7 months later with Eduardo Escobar for Francisco Liriano.

White Sox receive:

LHP Simón Castro - from San Diego on December 31, 2011

LHP Pedro Hernandez - from San Diego on December 31, 2011 - traded on July 28, 2012

LHP Francisco Liriano - from Minnesota on July 28, 2012 - contract ended

White Sox trade:

OF Carlos Quentin - traded to San Diego on December 31, 2011

LHP Pedro Hernandez - traded to Minnesota on July 28, 2012

2B Eduardo Escobar - traded to Minnesota on July 28, 2012

Essentially, the Sox traded Quentin, Hernandez, and Escobar for:

Castro - who hasn't pitched in the majors yet...

Six months of Hernandez - just one horrible start in the majors with the Sox

Two months of Liriano - he was 3-2 with a 5.40 ERA with the Sox

Edited by jthunder93

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)

The initial trade was Quentin for Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez. Hernandez was traded 7 months later with Eduardo Escobar for Francisco Liriano.

White Sox receive:

LHP Pedro Hernandez - from San Diego on December 31, 2011 - traded on July 28, 2012

White Sox trade:

If they would have traded him in August, 2008 for this type of package, you would have a valid point.

How many games did Quentin average per season with the White Sox?

What was his average OPS after 2008?

It was going to be a risky decision at the time to keep paying him a higher salary with his propensity for getting hurt, and he wasn't exactly a Gold Glover in the OF, he was one of the poorer outfielders in the game.

So we shouldn't pretend we just gave away AL MVP (nearly) TCQ, it was a very different player by that point in his Sox career.

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)

White Sox receive:

White Sox trade:

It was made last year though, and while Castro looks pretty awful now, he's still got a big arm and I think they'll try him out of the bullpen at some point too.

For kicks and giggles, we can look at the Peavy trade too.

White Sox get: Jake Peavy

Padres get: Clayton Richard (4.16 ERA, 88 ERA+, essentially a 4th or 5th starter)

Aaron Poreda (pitched in 4 games - 2.1 IP, 1 H, 5 BB, 0 K). Last professional pitching was last year for Pittsburgh

Dexter Carter - never got above A-ball. Was released the following season and resigned by the Sox. Pitched in an Indy league last year

Adam Russell - pitched 28 innings for the Padres with mixed results. Was included in a trade for SS Jason Bartlett. Bartlett put up a .231/.299/.292/.591 with the Padres and no longer appears to be playing professionally.

Like I said, these things happen.

It was made last year though, and while Castro looks pretty awful now, he's still got a big arm and I think they'll try him out of the bullpen at some point too.

For kicks and giggles, we can look at the Peavy trade too.

White Sox get: Jake Peavy

Padres get: Clayton Richard (4.16 ERA, 88 ERA+, essentially a 4th or 5th starter)

Aaron Poreda (pitched in 4 games - 2.1 IP, 1 H, 5 BB, 0 K). Last professional pitching was last year for Pittsburgh

Dexter Carter - never got above A-ball. Was released the following season and resigned by the Sox. Pitched in an Indy league last year

Adam Russell - pitched 28 innings for the Padres with mixed results. Was included in a trade for SS Jason Bartlett. Bartlett put up a .231/.299/.292/.591 with the Padres and no longer appears to be playing professionally.

Like I said, these things happen.

I agree that you can go back and find plenty of lopsided trades to support either side, but in that particular trade I think the Padres were looking more to dump salary than to get players that were going to help them win anything.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 24, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
I agree that you can go back and find plenty of lopsided trades to support either side, but in that particular trade I think the Padres were looking more to dump salary than to get players that were going to help them win anything.

I think you can say the same thing with the Quentin deal though too. The Sox didn't trust his health long-term, he was in his final year before free agency, and the Sox had seen enough from both Viciedo, Rios, and De Aza to move on from him. Rather than keep $7 million in salary in the fold when there's not enough playing time, move it on and get something for it before you lose it.