The Sox/Twins Non-Sweep Aspirational Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
after the uproar that will be had when we sell off, a couple of free agents aren't making a difference.

A shrewd signing next offseason could well put this team in contention right out of the gate (assuming that they actually do fielding drills during ST).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
after the uproar that will be had when we sell off, a couple of free agents aren't making a difference.

I disagree, I think our fan base is smart enough this year to know that changes need to be made to the core of this team. With PK gone after this year, it's really going to be a new era for the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)

I don't think there will be any uproar when we sell off considering we will likely be about 15-20 games out of first place and are heading towards a 100 loss season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
I disagree, I think our fan base is smart enough this year to know that changes need to be made to the core of this team. With PK gone after this year, it's really going to be a new era for the Sox.

I'll see you back when the White Flag articles start.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
A shrewd signing next offseason could well put this team in contention right out of the gate (assuming that they actually do fielding drills during ST).

Unless that signing is "an offense", I can't see it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
I'll see you back when the White Flag articles start.

Who's going to be writing that it's a "White Flag" when they are 15+ games out?

Do you think the average Sox fan is that dumb that they will think the team is good (and not look at standings), will see a guy or two traded, then (presumably) see some BS article and say "yeah, white flag! I'm never going to a game again! We could have been good I can't believe they traded guys to try to make the team closer to winning a championship!"

I mean, enough already with this nonsense.

No one's going anyway, "White Flag" or not. The team sucks, no incorrect misconception is going to affect it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Um.

White Flag happened when the White Sox actually had a chance?

Yeah, if we pull back to 3 games out and then trade away Crain, then I think everyone will have a legit complaint.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Yeah, if we pull back to 3 games out and then trade away Crain, then I think everyone will have a legit complaint.

That 1997 team was 23-27 at the end of May (4 GB), 40-39 (2 GB) at the end of June and 53-53 (3 GB) at the trade deadline.

Not to mention that on paper, those mid to late 90's Indians teams were even better than this year's Tigers.

And that particular Indians' team eventually did go on to the World Series against the Braves.

It's harder to make a case when we're 33-52 our last 85 games and losers of 17 out of our last 22 games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Who's going to be writing that it's a "White Flag" when they are 15+ games out?

Do you think the average Sox fan is that dumb that they will think the team is good (and not look at standings), will see a guy or two traded, then (presumably) see some BS article and say "yeah, white flag! I'm never going to a game again! We could have been good I can't believe they traded guys to try to make the team closer to winning a championship!"

I mean, enough already with this nonsense.

No one's going anyway, "White Flag" or not. The team sucks, no incorrect misconception is going to affect it.

They were already starting the White Flag stuff a few years back before we started that big run right before the deadline. This will be easy fodder for lazy sports personalities in this town.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
They were already starting the White Flag stuff a few years back before we started that big run right before the deadline. This will be easy fodder for lazy sports personalities in this town.

How many people @ this site aren't ready to wave the white flag? I'm basically there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
How many people @ this site aren't ready to wave the white flag? I'm basically there.

The right move doesn't always mean the media will understand that. They know the term "White Flag" gets idiots to call into talk shows and buy Sun Times. Plenty of fans will falls for it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
The right move doesn't always mean the media will understand that. They know the term "White Flag" gets idiots to call into talk shows and buy Sun Times. Plenty of fans will falls for it.

When we're already sitting 10 games below .500, it ain't gonna matter what they say. At least if they're saying that, they're talking about the Sox and maybe occasionally talking about the player that comes back. If the Sox just keep losing, they'll be talking about the Bears and the Cubs.

Like it or not, thanks to the crappy play of this team, we're on the path to that 70 or below win season. We're going to have the damage done that we'd incur from rebuilding anyway. May as well get some players out of it.