6/21

ShandyMan

Looks like CF Thurman Hall, LF Nolan Earley, RF Carl Thomore, CI Patrick Palmeiro all started again for Bristol. Different players in the other 5 spots. Not a great start for Thomore...0-for-4 last night with a pair of strikeouts, and he's 0-for-4 today thus far with 2 strikeouts.

Why has Ayala not played yet? The other 3 catchers have played so far...Stoner started at catcher last night, and Rosario tonight. Parent was the DH tonight...Ayala should play tomorrow, right?

Edited by jthunder93

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
Trayce with a HR, almost has the AVG up to .270 on the year.

Looks like Simon Castro is officially a reliever. Probably a good idea to get him used to coming out of the pen, because we'll probably need him in a couple weeks.

So this pretty much solidifies the fact that we got absolutely nothing for Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
So this pretty much solidifies the fact that we got absolutely nothing for Carlos Quentin.

Well, if you want to count roughly 1/2 of Francisco Liriano last year at the deadline...the Hernandez/Escobar deal.

Anderson with a solid game tonight. Let's just enjoy any offensive progress and assume he ends up at 2B/CF so we're not disappointed in him at SS!

And Barnum has come out decently as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Considering his 5.40 ERA when we had him, that's not much of a consolation.

And yet he's one of the best pitchers on the Pirates this year.

Just goes to show Coop can't get through to every single pitcher we acquire. Or that the NL Central isn't that strong, but the Cardinals and Reds might disagree with that one.

The problem is all those guys like Jenks, Crede and Quentin...we needed them year to year to compete for the playoffs, but we never had the opportunity to sell them at their highest values because most of those seasons we were in the race and/or they were injured or it would have been like surrendering the season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Goes to show you that you almost always overpay for a rental player...not that it really breaks my heart all that much, but you don't really get much if they aren't hot when you get them.

It's impossible to fault KW for going out and getting Youk, Liriano and Myers.

I'd say 7 or 8 times out of 10, they win the division with those moves if you kept playing out the season over and over again in a computer simulation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
It's impossible to fault KW for going out and getting Youk, Liriano and Myers.

I'd say 7 or 8 times out of 10, they win the division with those moves if you kept playing out the season over and over again in a computer simulation.

My discontent isn't with the moves last year. I was fully in favor of each of those three when KW made them. The lack of a return for TCQ is what is disappointing. Has KW really had a good track record of getting ample return when he's in a seller mode? Maybe Flowers and Podsednik are positives, but Santos, Quentin, and Jackson didn't really pan out in terms of return.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
My discontent isn't with the moves last year. I was fully in favor of each of those three when KW made them. The lack of a return for TCQ is what is disappointing. Has KW really had a good track record of getting ample return when he's in a seller mode? Maybe Flowers and Podsednik are positives, but Santos, Quentin, and Jackson didn't really pan out in terms of return.

With the state of the team this year hopefully Hahn will have more success.

The addition of the second wild card only helps Hahn.

More teams than ever believe they can make the playoffs. Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom all valuable pieces.

Not going to get an elite prospect, but need to find somebody willing to give up a young guy like Holmberg, just to pick another Kenny Williams scab.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)

OTOH, there were lots of rumors we weren't even willing to pay his arbitration price, because of concerns about 1) injuries/HBP and 2) offensive inconsistency.

So letting him go for nothing would have been even worse.

But yeah, Swisher, Javy, Edwin Jackson/Teahen, Quentin and Santos didn't bring much of anything back in return. That's a lot of talent to replace.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
Not going to get an elite prospect, but need to find somebody willing to give up a young guy like Holmberg, just to pick another Kenny Williams scab.

Holmberg is still just 21 and in AA, but his K rate fell off the planet when he moved to AA. I wouldn't be so sure he makes it.