6/21

ShandyMan

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:10 PM)
You'd probably have to send DeMichele down if you did that, or slide one over to SS or maybe even an OF position.

Well they both can't play the same position forever if the organization thinks they both have a chance at the majors

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
So what are your thoughts on Anderson? (Not in 2 games, just in general.)

I liked the pick initially, but I'm souring a bit. He's another raw project and I'm not sure the Sox can develop a guy like him. That said, I love everything I've read about his personality and work ethic. I have hope he can do what's necessary to improve.

The Kannapolis assignment will test his confidence. I just hope he has a good approach at the plate and let's the skills catch up naturally.

Like someone said above, it's best not to think of him as a shortstop long-term. If he improves leaps and bounds, great, but otherwise expect him to move at some point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 03:49 AM)
Holmberg is still just 21 and in AA, but his K rate fell off the planet when he moved to AA. I wouldn't be so sure he makes it.

last 3 starts for Holmberg: 23 innings, 10 hits, 4 walks, 13 Ks.

He's no lock. But I sure wish Kenny Williams didn't package him in that deal for Jackson.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
I liked the pick initially, but I'm souring a bit. He's another raw project and I'm not sure the Sox can develop a guy like him. That said, I love everything I've read about his personality and work ethic. I have hope he can do what's necessary to improve.

The Kannapolis assignment will test his confidence. I just hope he has a good approach at the plate and let's the skills catch up naturally.

Like someone said above, it's best not to think of him as a shortstop long-term. If he improves leaps and bounds, great, but otherwise expect him to move at some point.

Ah, that was me, although on draft day, 85% of the reports that came out questioned his arm strength for the big league level and argued he'd be more likely to ultimately end up at 2B/CF.

Obviously, he's worth more at SS or CF than 2B. Maybe he'll have a little Alexei Ramirez in him (starting in the OF, then moving back to SS), minus the brain cramps.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 12:07 AM)

I totally agree. His footwork and arm strength don't look like that of a guy who will be playing SS for the long haul. With professional coaching combined with him taking a ton of reps over there, he should definitely improve, but I would bet he gets moved.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
last 3 starts for Holmberg: 23 innings, 10 hits, 4 walks, 13 Ks.

He's no lock. But I sure wish Kenny Williams didn't package him in that deal for Jackson.

I'm not sure if those three starts are supposed to convince me of anything. The 13 Ks in 23 innings is simply not cutting it. He's not a groundball pitcher either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
Ah, that was me, although on draft day, 85% of the reports that came out questioned his arm strength for the big league level and argued he'd be more likely to ultimately end up at 2B/CF.

Obviously, he's worth more at SS or CF than 2B. Maybe he'll have a little Alexei Ramirez in him (starting in the OF, then moving back to SS), minus the brain cramps.

Something in his favor is that he's young and his body has yet to fill out, possible that he improves his arm strength as he ages and his body matures, much like a young pitcher who is tall and skinny.

The reasons I've heard given in everything I've read about Anderson is that he simply is unrefined as a shortstop and needs reps, not that he apparently lacks any physical tools necessary to be a SS

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
For the love of god call up Micah Johnson already!!!!

Is anyone worried that Micah Johnson is 22 years old in A ball? He will be 23 in December. Isn't he a guy that should be moving through the system fairly quickly?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Is anyone worried that Micah Johnson is 22 years old in A ball? He will be 23 in December. Isn't he a guy that should be moving through the system fairly quickly?

Sounds like the Brady Shoemaker Syndrome.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)

Yes. This is a concern.

He's in his first full season of pro ball and doing what he needs to though. It's only a knock on him if he struggles to adjust to High A, for example. He needs to be in AA at the start of next year.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Well Micah suffered a strange injury after his Sophomore year, sat out his junior year and spent his senior year trying to get back in the swing of things. So while he's obviously 22, his baseball age isn't necessarily 22. Kind of like Phegley's situation.

In any case, something has got to give soon. No need to hold him in Kanny any longer IMO. We had spoken about this earlier in the year, but I think moving DeMichelle or Johnson to LF may be the move to make. They are both struggling mightily at 2B as far as defense anyways. I think given Micah's above average speed and great athleticism he may make more sense moving to LF. Another thing to consider is freshman year he played 3B. I don't know if there was an older, more experienced player in front of him but it is at least worth noting.

Johnson better be a heck of a dynamic offensive player to hold down a corner outfield position.

Better to try to make him a Chone Figgins clone who can play 3B, 2B and CF.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 22, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Well Micah suffered a strange injury after his Sophomore year, sat out his junior year and spent his senior year trying to get back in the swing of things. So while he's obviously 22, his baseball age isn't necessarily 22. Kind of like Phegley's situation.

Micah was drafted as a junior. He missed the first part of that season and came back while still banged up at the end of the year.