6/23 games: Erik Johnson debut

winninguglyin83

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
but heart and moxie only can get you so far.

Buerhle, he was/is all heart, moxie, and smarts. His raw stuff has always been well below average yet he's been one of the most successful pitchers in the majors over the past 13 years

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Buerhle, he was/is all heart, moxie, and smarts. His raw stuff has always been well below average yet he's been one of the most successful pitchers in the majors over the past 13 years

Bulls***. While he is indeed all the things you say, the thing that made him great was his talent. He can locate any of his pitches wherever he wants. As Hawk says, "he can throw it through a tea cup."

I'm not trying to jump on you, but he has really good STUFF.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)

Yeah, and I remember the Pirates comparing Matt Guerrier to Greg Maddux when he was acquired and gloating about how they were going to lose Marte from their 40 man roster anyway.

That trade didn't exactly go their way, nor did the never-ending comparisons to Greg Maddux or Tom Glavine (any lefty that throws 87-91 MPH).

Rangel Ravelo is having a nice season with the Dash. Hitting for average, drawing walks, not striking out, even mixing in an almost respectable amount of power. It's a shame he's moved to first base because if he was still at third his numbers would make him somewhat valuable.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
Bulls***. While he is indeed all the things you say, the thing that made him great was his talent. He can locate any of his pitches wherever he wants. As Hawk says, "he can throw it through a tea cup."

I'm not trying to jump on you, but he has really good STUFF.

Not saying he's the next MB, I just think that pure stuff can only get you so far. I'll always take someone with average stuff and smarts over the guy with the 98 mph fastball who has no clue what he's doing.

Braulio Ortiz is flying under the radar. Sox like his arm, and he is now getting a chance to start. Still wild at times, but his slider/curve is very good. Wouldn't surprise me to see him take off and start getting on the radar on this board.

And I'll admit Phegley is impressing me now. He started off very hot last year and cooled down considerably. He's actually maintaining his consistency this year after his, once again, hot start and is showing very good power.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 23, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
Not saying he's the next MB, I just think that pure stuff can only get you so far. I'll always take someone with average stuff and smarts over the guy with the 98 mph fastball who has no clue what he's doing.

No single one of Buehrle's pitches are above average, but once his arsenal of pitches is put together, he does have good stuff. If you take away any one of his pitches and his ability to locate it, he goes from a 3.75-4.00 ERA pitcher to a 4.50 ERA pitcher just like that, and if you take away one more beyond that, he's no different than Josh Stewart or Heath Phillips

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's accurate to say that MB has ever had good "stuff." I think it IS accurate to say Buerhle had both very good control (locating) and very good command (control of movement). I think people usually mean velocity and sharp break when they refer to stuff.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's accurate to say that MB has ever had good "stuff." I think it IS accurate to say Buerhle had both very good control (locating) and very good command (control of movement). I think people usually mean velocity and sharp break when they refer to stuff.

But the great change-up was always a plus pitch.

However, no, he wasn't in the same category as Floyd or 2005-06 Contreras or 2004-2005 Freddy Garcia or anything like that.

He was just, for lack of a better description, a pure pitcher and not a thrower who was usually one step ahead of opposing hitters, always keeping them off balance and changing speeds.

To be able to have 3-4-5 different fastball speeds (even in the 80's) is more important than throwing a flat 93 mph fastball over and over again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
But the great change-up was always a plus pitch.

However, no, he wasn't in the same category as Floyd or 2005-06 Contreras or 2004-2005 Freddy Garcia or anything like that.

He was just, for lack of a better description, a pure pitcher and not a thrower who was usually one step ahead of opposing hitters, always keeping them off balance and changing speeds.

To be able to have 3-4-5 different fastball speeds (even in the 80's) is more important than throwing a flat 93 mph fastball over and over again.

No doubt. Excellent pitcher. I'm just arguing the word use. Stuff/Command/Control/etc.

We'll say good arsenal then. He can throw 5 different pitches and, with the variations he can throw of his stuff, it really can equate to about 25 different looking pitches. I mean, seriously, if he didn't have his cutter and then one of his offspeed pitches, he'd be f***ed, no matter his command and control.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
We'll say good arsenal then. He can throw 5 different pitches and, with the variations he can throw of his stuff, it really can equate to about 25 different looking pitches. I mean, seriously, if he didn't have his cutter and then one of his offspeed pitches, he'd be f***ed, no matter his command and control.

Agreed